main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would Anakin have turned to the dark side if Qui-Gon had been his teacher?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by beantown256, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beantown256

beantown256 Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2006
    I've just been thinking that since Qui-Gon was more untraditional, and believes that love is key in defeating the Sith (RoTS novel), he could have taught Anakin to be a Jedi that wouldn't have turned to the dark side and could foster his feelings as a good thing. Perhaps he would have turned out like Qui-Gon, but instead he was forced to eat his emotions whihc pushes him away from the Jedi. So, gimme ur thoughts...Qui-Gon better match for Anakin?

2. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    This might get locked, but I'll add my opinion anyway.

This is one of those you really can't be sure questions.
    Sure Anakin and Qui-Gon's relationship was good in the beginning, but who's to say Anakin's reckless behavior wouldn't have also worn on Qui-Gon's patience. Maybe he wasn't as much of a rule follower as Obi-Wan was, but eventually he would have to draw the line with Anakin somewhere during his training.

I'm also sure there is no way Qui-Gon would ever condone Anakin's killing of the Tuskens. We already know that from when he screams at Anakin from the netherworld.

Honestly I think Anakin's fate was sealed from the moment he left his mother, and no change of master would have mattered. I actually think Obi-Wan and Anakin are a better choice, than Anakin and Qui-Gon. Since they are so different they compliment each other. That's why Sidious had to seperate them because Obi-Wan was the only person keeping Anakin straight on the Jedi path. With his former master out of the way, there is nothing stopping Anakin from turning right then and there.

3. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    The answer to your question would depend on the scenarios. If Qui-Gon had been Anakins teacher, that would have meant Qui-Gon didnt get killed in TPM. Different events would have then transpired.

4. Wrongway

Wrongway Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    Yeah, who knows, Jinn coulda convinced Dooku not to join Sidious and possibly reveal Palpatine to the Jedi Council years earlier and save everyone!!! =D= =D= =D=

/exaggerate off

5. andkiich

andkiich Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2005
    It could have turned out worse. Anakin could have trusted Qui-Gon even more than Kenobi, then given Palpatine's ability twist reality...imagine if Anakin believed that Qui-Gon turned against him.

6. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    I think so.. Palps would have found away around Qui Gon teachings just like he did with Anakin as Obi's apprentice :-B

7. sepharih

sepharih Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2005
    Here are my thoughts I posted on a similar thread a while back.

I believe that had Qui-gon survived, Anakin would not have fallen.

Obi-wan was Luke's father figure. Qui-gon is Anakin's father figure, Obi-wan is more like Anakin's brother. That was why Qui-gon was created I think, because Lucas realized that the way Obi-wan spoke of Anakin in ANH and ROTJ made him sound far more like a brother in arms rather than a father figure. And that makes all the difference in his training.
    Half the time Obi-wan is just trying to keep Anakin undercontrol, and for most of the time he isn't. The simple fact is that while Anakin may like Obi-wan and may enjoy fighting alongside him, he does not respect him as a mentor.
    "Anakin: In some ways, in a lot of ways, I'm really ahead of him."
    Just look at the opening scenes in AOTC, how Anakin is so apt to argue with Obi-wan and overstep his bounds. While Obi-wan shadowed Qui-gon, watched him and payed attention to his lead, Anakin completely disregards Obi-wan's opinion or point of view on the matter, preffering instead to argue or convince obi-wan that his own is superior. The apprentice has overstepped his bounds. This is not entirely Obi-wan's failing as Anakin, rather than learning his place as the apprentice chooses instead to blame Obi-wan for not seeing his potential, but it is Obi-wan's failing that he has not managed to gain Anakin's respect in the 10 years between TPM and AOTC.
    Obi-wan does this once in all TPM. And that is in relation to Anakin.
    Obi-wan oversteps his bounds as the apprentice and claims that Qui-gon's view of Anakin is short sited and he is unable to see what should be blatantly obvious, that the boy is dangerous. Qui-gon says simply "The council will decide Anakin's fate, and that should be enough for you. Now get on board." Obi-wan does not persist in his argument. He leaves and begins to quietly reflect on what has happend. Then afterwards he apoligizes for his blatant disrespect and Qui-gon seeing this complements Obi-wan and all is well.
    While I do believe Qui-gon to be the better teacher, Anakin's fall can be chocked up too(besides the will of the force) Anakin's impatience and brashness, Obi-wan's inexperience as an instructor, and most of all the volatile relationship which these two share.
    From the moment that Qui-gon stands in front of the Council attempting to take Anakin as his apprentice a subtle rivalry is established. Obi-wan is as much Qui-gon's son as Anakin is, but Obi-wan as the older brother is feeling slightly betrayed at how he is being seemingly cast asside for the "new and improved" student. Anakin is young and naive, but not enough i'm sure to not realize that the only reason Obi-wan took him as a student to begin with was it was Qui-gon's dying wish. Now i'm not suggesting that Obi-wan didn't love anakin, because he most definately did grow very fond of him. But at the same time, issues like that can leave a grudge between to people that are not easily rectified.
    From the get go Anakin was very respectfull of Qui-gon and would have learned his place as the student very early on, and if he didn't Qui-gon would not simply stand for his disobedience
    There's a reason why Obi-wan and Qui-gon's duel with Darth Maul is called Duel of the Fates.
    Because it is in that Duel that everyone's fate is sealed. Qui-gon's death is one of, if not the most powerful death in the saga because his death represents that all Hope of avoiding the darkness and destruction of the coming days is lost.. This is why I think alot more people are starting to warm up to TPM finally. Because now that they've seen how the saga comes together, they're realizing that despite looking "kiddy" on the surface, beneath that, it is all so horrificly tragic.

8. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Yes, I believe the tuteledge of Anakin played an important role in how he ended up. Qui-Gon didn't live by the Jedi Code, and unlike Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon had the experience of training a Jedi Padawan into knighthood. Qui-Gon also knew of Anakin's needs, which were his attachment to his mother and would have later understood his attachment to Padme. Instead of scolding him like Obi-Wan always did, Qui-Gon would have reached Anakin with far greater wisdom. Firstly, Anakin would have been permitted long before the events of AOTC to go and free his mother, which would have eased his fears. As far as Padme, Qui-Gon shunned the Jedi Code anyway, so that didn't matter. When faced with the situation with Darth Sidious, I think Anakin would have stood firm since a past trauma (such as losing someone) wouldn't have occurred and whether it was Shmi or Padme he had to lose, he would resisted the dark side unless there was a threat that he could lose them both at the same time.

Qui-Gon Jinn would have made a difference for these reasons. And with Qui-Gon alive, Count Dooku wouldn have never defected and would have remained in the Jedi Order. Thus, things would have been very interesting....indeed.

9. iLoveAnakin7

Apr 17, 2005
    ^^^No offense, but you make it seem like Qui-gon spat on the code and had no respect for the Order.

How can you be so sure Qui-Gon would have let Anakin just randomly go and free his mother? And also, how can you say he would have let Anakin become attached to Padme and not say anything about and just let it happen?

Qui-Gon thought outside the box, but not that much.

And with Qui-Gon alive, Count Dooku wouldn have never defected and would have remained in the Jedi Order.

Didn't Dooku leave the Order before Qui-Gon died?

10. Wrongway

Wrongway Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    I dont think that was ever confirmed. However, he did defect around this time in the saga.

11. Jobi-Won

Jobi-Won Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2003
    You deserve that Qui-Gon picture...

I agree with you 100000%!! ;D

12. darth_da

darth_da Jedi Master star 1

May 27, 2005
    I dont think Qui Gon being Anakins teacher would of made alot of difference other than Palpatine being alot more subtle in his attempts to turn Anakin.

13. darthvaderv

darthvaderv Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    Anakin still would of turned. I think Qui Gon would of been a different master compared to Obi-Wan, but Palpatine had too much of a strong bond with Anakin and would of found a way to manipulate him to the darkside.

14. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Tough question.

These "what if? 's" are always fun, but it's so hard to say.

I think the movies, Stover's ROTS novelization and the Clone Wars EU makes it pretty clear that Obi-Wan and Anakin were an absolutely amazing team, and that they complemented each other's strengths and weaknesses.

Both learned things from the other.

I'm not sure if Qui-Gon would have had the same effect on Anakin, though he might have been more sympathetic. But that might have brought Anakin closer to the Dark Side, rather than keep him away, who knows?

Qui-Gon also had the advantage of meeting Anakin's mother, which Obi-Wan never did.

15. mjerome3

May 11, 2000

Let's rememeber the reasons why Anakin turned. He was scared that Padme would die, and those particular fears were triggered by his mother's death. Under Kenobi's watch, Skywalker was never able to return to Tatooine and see his mother. Well, maybe had Obi-Wan not stayed behind on the ship when Jar-Jar, Padme, and Qui-Gon met Anakin, maybe Obi-Wan would have met her then also and had a better understanding of Anakin's attachment to her because he would have seen it. This is not hard to believe, seeing as though Obi-Wan knew about Anakin and Padme but never said anything(according to the ROTS novel). Having said this, Qui-Gon Jinn, watching over Anakin and witnessing how Anakin and Shmi were to each other, would have permitted Skywalker to go to Tatooine long before the events of Attack of the Clones and free her. With Padme and Shmi in his life, Anakin would've been able to resist the dark side.

As far as Darth Sidious, it would have been very difficult for him to put Anakin in a situation where both Padme and Shmi would be harmed or killed, which would have been the only way to turn him to the dark side. Qui-Gon's death was a big factor in Anakin turning to the dark side more than people think.

16. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I think Qui-Gon, unlike the Jedi Council, was truly interested in Anakin's well-being. Qui-Gon was like a father figure to Anakin. Anakin states in AOTC that Obi-Wan is the closest thing he has to a father, but it seems like he views Obi-Wan as a big brother who's shadow he can never outgrow. In any case, Anakin was the Chosen One, and when Qui-Gon dies in TPM he is the most powerful and knowledgeable Jedi in the galaxy (he beat all the Council eggheads on how to achieve immortality, as he practiced whilst they talked). Together, Anakin and Qui-Gon would have been the ultimate Master and Padawan.

17. iLoveAnakin7

Apr 17, 2005
    Having said this, Qui-Gon Jinn, watching over Anakin and witnessing how Anakin and Shmi were to each other, would have permitted Skywalker to go to Tatooine long before the events of Attack of the Clones and free her. With Padme and Shmi in his life, Anakin would've been able to resist the dark side.

Again you don't know this for sure. You are making some pretty BIG assumptions here.

18. mjerome3

May 11, 2000

These are not assumptions. Let's look at the reasons why he fell to the dark side, shall we? In Attack of the Clones when he see's the end result of what the Tuskin Raiders did to his mother, he turned to the dark side. And again, when he starts having nightmares about Padme dying, he sees the dark side as the only way he can save her, right? Seeing as though Anakin is vulernable to his loved ones, we see how he protects them and how he feels about them.

Fact #1. He promises his mother that he would come back and free her.

Fact #2. Obi-Wan Kenobi is a traditional Jedi who is about obeying the Jedi Code and if he takes an apprentice he will make sure the apprentice of his will do the same. Qui-Gon Jinn shunned the Jedi Code. He wasn't about the code. He was more about the Living Force and compassion towards lifeforms and unfortunately, the Jedi are not that profound.

Fact #3. Master Yoda(ROTS novel) admits to Qui-Gon Jinn that the Jedi Order failed only because they (the Jedi) were following customs and codes from a different era and Yoda had allowed these codes and customs to be passed down from generation to generation. Had Yoda listened to Qui-Gon the Jedi Order would have survived.

Fact #4. When Qui-Gon Jinn was alive and well on Tatooine, he tried to free Skywalker's mother but Watto said no. So, there you have it. It's no assumption at all that Anakin would have been permitted to go back and free Shmi before Cliegg Lars even freed her himself.

19. iLoveAnakin7

Apr 17, 2005

True. But at this stage Anakin is just a little boy who dreams big. What nine year old ex-slave wouldn't say that to his enslaved mother?
    Just because he promised doesn't mean it will come true. Anakin also promised Padme he would save her....

Why do you keep saying he "shunned" the Code? He didn't always agree with it, but he did follow it. He just happened to listen to instinct more than most Jedi.

The customs of the Jedi were working fine until Anakin came along. They didn't know what to do with him. Their biggest mistake was making an exception to the Code and letting him in the Order at age nine expecting him in return to adapt to their ways of life.

Those events happened BEFORE Anakin was made a Jedi. Rules change once he's actually IN the Order itself. "A commitment not easily broken" Plus Qui-Gon was already on Tatooine, why not try while he's there? I highly doubt if Anakin became his apprentice, and they were on a dangerous mission, that Qui-Gon would stop in the middle of it, to take Anakin to Tatooine to try and his free his mother because he had a "bad feeling".

And just how exactly was Anakin supposed to free his mother if Qui-Gon couldn't even do it? I doubt he gets an allowance...8-}

20. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Qui-Gon also had the advantage of meeting Anakin's mother, which Obi-Wan never did.

Its not like they were getting married. :p IMO, that would have to be on the bottom of the list to make a difference in his turning.

21. mjerome3

May 11, 2000

Anakin is not just some kid with big dreams. Why wouldn't he have aspirations to free Shmi? A promise is a promise. As far as Anakin saving Padme, he didn't know until the end when he was in the suit that he was actually trying save her from himself.

He did shun the Jedi Code. Haven't you seen TPM? Obi-Wan even said that if he would follow the code he would be on the Council, which means QGJ never even followed it, so how can you say he did when it's clear that he didn't?

Anakin was the Chosen One and the Jedi knew he was the one to restore balance. They never understood totally what the prophecy really meant or how Skywalker would restore the Force back into balance, but he was the one to do it so they had to let him into the Order, especially after he destroyed the droid control ship. Making him adapt to their ways of life was a mistake, and this is what Qui-Gon is telling Yoda towards the end of ROTS. When the Chosen One came along, that was the correct time for the Jedi Order to change. In other words the Force is an ally for a Jedi, and a rigid code is mere doctrine, which has no place there. In other words again, it's similar to someone thinking that they need religion to find God, when we already know that God is separate from religion. This is the reason why the Jedi Order failed. Had the Jedi adapted Qui-Gon outlook, Darth Sidious would have never succeeded.

I am talking about Qui-Gon's influence on the situation as a whole, not Obi-Wan being strict with Anakin. Had Qui-Gon survived and Kenobi became knighted, Qui-Gon would be Anakin's Master. Yes, those events were before Anakin was in the Order, but it

22. LovesLost

LovesLost Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2005
    I think regardless of who Anakins teacher is, had little baring on what his actual destiny was. I think that the Force had Anakins fate planned from birth, to bring the balance to the force. Palpatine would of found his way to turn Anakin, regardless of who was his master. That's just how Palpatine is.

23. Starkiller85

Starkiller85 Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2006
    Actually he left the order a short time afterward. Qui-Gon's death was the last straw for Dooku.

24. darthvaderv

darthvaderv Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    Lets not forget attatchment is forbidden. Qui Gon would not of set a good example to Anakin if he breaks the jedi code and helps Shimi. Obi was following the rule book.

:oops: *EDIT* Thats more or less been put. Sorry.

25. SEPARATESICKLEROOK2

SEPARATESICKLEROOK2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 1, 2003
    No, with Quigon Anakin could have told him about Padme. Quigon would have helped him, or at least help him let go and let the living force take its course. Jinn didnt rely on rules to address a situation, he let the force tell him what to do, and i believe he was totally in tune with the light side of the force. other jedi feared and resented that, since the force is dark and light simultaneously, they believed that a jedi must adhere strictly to the code in order to achieve a positive outcome. this is why the council and obiwan in particular failed anakin. he wasnt brought up in the strict discipline of the other knights and masters, he had learned to feel and use emotion to dictate reaction. but alas, it was the will of the force that anakin fall, and rise again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.