main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Would anyone be interested in radio drama versions of the PT?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by kubricklynch, May 10, 2014.

?

Would you listen to a radio drama of the prequels?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. What's a radio drama?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    I recently listened to the audio dramas of the OT for the first time since I was a kid. I have to say they were pretty awesome. Especially for Episodes 4 and 5, the story was really fleshed out. The one for ANH was almost 6 hours, so there was a lot more time to develop the characters and give background for the plot.

Now, disregarding the fact that this probably has no chance of happening, would anyone be interested in something like this for the prequels? I think this would actually be very cool.

Not trying to make this a PT bashing thread but I think this could do a lot to counter the faults (perceived or real) of the films. They could benefit from more time to flesh out the universe. I'd like them show more of Obi-Wan and Anakin as friends, develop more of the minor Jedi, and put in some scenes showing the beginnings of the Rebellion.

Any thoughts on what you'd like to see in a hypothetical radio drama of the prequels?

Lady_Skywalker87 and Sockk Ti like this.
  2. Sockk Ti

Sockk Ti Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 3, 2013
    I would definitely be interested in this! I also listened to the radio dramas last year for the first time since I was a kid and really enjoyed them (though I wish more of the voices could have been done by the original actors).

As far as things I'd want to hear, I would agree with all of your suggestions above, plus having more of Qui-Gon for TPM and maybe more of Darth Maul. For AOTC, maybe more of Yoda working with younglings. For ROTS, more of Bail Organa in particular (in terms of showing the beginnings of the Rebellion).

You're probably right that it probably has no chance of happening, but with the increasing popularity of "podcasts" today, I think it would potentially have an even broader reach than the radio dramas did when they were originally broadcast on NPR.

Edit: Also for AOTC: more of Dooku!

Bail B. Baobab and kubricklynch like this.
  3. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Everything in the original scrips. Specially regarding Padmè!

kubricklynch likes this.
  4. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    I'd rather see Special Editions :rolleyes:

5. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    As a fan of the OT series, as well as radio drama in general, I think they have some great potential. They'd just have to find someone who could do as good a job on the scripts as Brian Daley did for the OT.

One question: should they go with a narrator for the more visual sequences from the movies, or work around that some way using the characters themselves. It'd be tough to do it without seeming too obvious, but it's possible.

kubricklynch likes this.
  6. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Good question about the narrator. There were some times in the OT radio dramas where they had some pretty awkward dialogue explaining what was going on. A narrator might not be such a bad idea.

7. Darth Bradius

Darth Bradius Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 27, 2014
    I would definitely be into some PT radio dramas. I love the way the OT ones fleshed everything out and added more depth to the characters. Would really like to see (hear) the Sith given more time for sure.

On side note, I love the episode 4 & 5 dramas, but damn, that ROTJ one is unlistenable. It's much shorter than the first two, doesn't do nearly as good of a job of adding texture to the story as the first two, Mark Hamill doesn't return as Luke and Lando's voice is a joke. It's unbelievably generic. They didn't even attempt to find someone that sounds like Billy Dee.

kubricklynch likes this.