Would anyone consider lending/renting us costumes for a FanFilm?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by OBI-JUAN2002, Dec 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OBI-JUAN2002 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hello,

I am the director of a Star Wars Fanfilm currently in early production. Our fanfilm is called "The Premonition" and its probably the first Spanish fanfilm ever, and one of the most profesional ever. You can check our website here: www.premonition.isgreat.tv

The thing is, we need some costumes for our fanfilm, and before we spend lots of money buying or making them, and afterwards see how they are covered in dust because we dont want them, I thought maybe someone would be kind enough to lend or even rent them to us. I first posted this on a forum about Boba Fett armour and I have recieved several kind responses from people who will lend us some props, however none about costumes.

I believe making profit from trademarks from LucasFilm is illegal, so renting the props may be a bit difficult, however, If anyone is kind enough to lend them to us, I'm sure we'll find a way to compensate him ;).

These are the costumes that we need:

- 3 Full Jedi Costumes (3 is the minimum, but more would be even better)
    - 1 Jango Fett Costume
    - 1 Count Dooku style costume or parts of it
    - 1 Imperial Officer costume parts

That's all, a short list, but difficult to find! If ANYONE can help with ANY of these, we'll struggle to find the rest.

So... if anyone is interested, email me bankanto@hotmail.com or post here so that we can further discuss it.

Thanks for your time,

Juan
  2. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    From looking at your website, it sounds like you are in pre-production. Production is the shooting phase. Everything before is considered pre-production. Some may think you are already shooting. It helps if you use the correct term as you may lose people who think they are too late.

"I believe making profit from trademarks from LucasFilm is illegal, so renting the props may be a bit difficult"

You are correct, although the fact that it's illegal doesn't stop people from making selling replica weapons, boots, pouches, or even full suits of armour without authorization.

It's going to be hard for people to lend costumes to you without some more details. They are going to need to know when and where each costume will be needed. Will all costumes be required at all shoots? Do you only need Jedi #1 and Jango on day, but do you need more the following day?

Most people make costumes for themselves. Their costume is made to fit their body just right. What kind of build do your actors have? Are they male/female? Tall, short, thin, heavyset, etc.

What will be done during these scenes? Are they going to be doing some heavy sabre fighting? Will it involve rain or dirt? Many will be hesitant about getting their stuff dirty or wet or sweaty.

Are you prepared to fully reimburst costumers if some part of their costume is damaged or destroyed? Even an average Jedi costume is over $100. Some folks have boots that cost $200+ You must be prepared to pay for damaged or destroyed items if people are going to lend them.

Most costumers will want to be present at the shoots so they can make sure their costume is worn and handled properly. All will want their stuff replaced if it is damaged or destroyed. Since no one really sells this stuff, this will probably mean forking over the cash.
  3. TheFirstStarwoid Jedi Padawan

I am looking to sell my costume if you want to buy it.

Brandon
  4. OBI-JUAN2002 Jedi Knight

star 2
    From looking at your website, it sounds like you are in pre-production.

Well, we've allready shot a couple of scenes, but not many, and some of them are just tests, so I'd say you are right, and I should have written "Pre-production" - sorry about that ;)

It's going to be hard for people to lend costumes to you without some more details.

Yes, I am aware of that. I posted this to know if anyone would CONSIDER lending them and if someone does, we could discuss the details. However, it may be a good idea to post the details now. They are at the end of this post.

Are you prepared to fully reimburst costumers if some part of their costume is damaged or destroyed?

Yes, we will pay anything we damage, so we will be EXTRA careful with things that are not ours.

I am aware this is a difficult thing - mainly because of the fact that we are in Spain, and I believe most people in this board are from the United States.

We will have to pay shipping costs for the costumes coming to us and getting back to their owner, we still have to think of the way the owner can be sure he will be getting it back, and we are consciuous that we shall pay anything we damage. Even though, it is cheaper, easier and quicker than making the costumes ourselves (impossible) or buying them (for prizes WAY above our budget, and with costumers that only ship to the Unites States).

Now - Into the details.

• We PLAN to start filming in February 2003.

• We would be filming for a whole month and a half, so we are looking for people that can lend us their costumes for that time or even more (In case we need to shoot additional photography)

• Definitive Costume list:
      Jedi Costume for tall person - about 185 cm.
      Two Jedi Costumes for short person - about 165 cm.
      1 Jango Fett costume - Either full costume or just the hard parts (armour, gauntlets, helmet, etc.) and the vest - tall person about 185 cm.

• The fights of the film are simple and short, mostly Jedi vs. CG battle droids, 1 Jedi vs Jango, and one extremely short Jedi vs. Sith fight. No water, no dust, no fallings...

If anymore details are needed, just ask me.

TheFirstStarwoid: What costume are you selling and for how much?

Kind Regards,

Juan
  5. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    For shipping I recommend sending via FedEx (Federal Express). They have a mucch lower package loss rate than the USPS (United States Postal Service) and UPS (United Parcel Service). They always deal out tracking numbers and insure their packages and they always deliver at the date and time they say they will deliver. They are more expensive but they get the job done right.
  6. OBI-JUAN2002 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.
  7. OBI-JUAN2002 Jedi Knight

star 2
  8. OBI-JUAN2002 Jedi Knight

star 2
  9. Jedi_Riibu Jedi Master

star 4
    In all honesty, I wouldn't count on anyone coming forward and letting you borrow their costume(s).

Personally, I would never ever ship a costume out to anyone. No matter how good of a friend (or even if I was related to them by blood), how much I knew I could trust them, no matter how much care is taken in the shipping process.

It's really a separation issue. No one gets to use a costume I made unless I'm actually present AND I do know I can trust the person.

I would really recommend you attempt to create your costumes yourself. I think you'd also understand the lack of response a whole lot better if you had something of your own creation.
  10. Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost

star 5
    It does not cost that much to make a costume. Probably after you shipped the costume both ways, It would have costed more than to make it, since It is such a long ways to ship. Plus, you will get the satisfaction of doing the whole movie by yourself, and you can use the costumes over and over again(conventions,etc.). So, be a real fan, and do it yourself. Also, if you really want to save money, you can digitally put the costumes on the actors.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.