main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR Would anyone else buy the story but not the game?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by cdgodin, Jul 12, 2011.

1. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    I don't really like MMOs, I don't like the concept of having to keep paying to play a game. I like a one-time price. But the storyline interests me. SO, would anyone else buy the story but not the game?

2. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    For me, the game is intrinsic to the KotOR story.

3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Ugh, no. I think of some of my favorite story-based games (Deus Ex was my first thought) and the idea of "buying the story" makes me want to scream.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I don't plan on buying the game but if there are novel or comic tie-ins I'd probably take a look at them.

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'll stick with comic tie-ins and art books simply for the fact that unless I win the lottery, I simply do not have the capabilities (or the cash) to play the game.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I don't really have anything to play it on. Neither my laptop nor my netbook are gaming machines and the only console I have is a PS2.

7. Kius

Kius Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2011
    I've never really been one for books or comics, so I do intend to buy the game. That way, I get to actively be in the story, living it out through my gameplay.

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Thus far the tie-in fiction has been fairly enjoyable. Blood of the Empire was excellent, ditto Fatal Alliance. I have yet to obtain Deceived, or Threat of Peace, but I shall be definitely be purchasing Revan when this comes out, and following Lost Suns.

So I'll have it all, eventually.

9. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Yeah, I'm really in this just for the story. I really don't like MMOs. If it was KotOR III, I would say that I'm in it for both.

10. bensmith0540

bensmith0540 Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 2011
    Yeah, i also like story game.

11. DamienK

DamienK Jedi Master

Apr 18, 2006
    I'm hoping to play the game but don't have a ton of free time.
    I'm wondering if I could get the whole main story by reading the books, checking the website and reading the comics.
    I'm sure a players story is not gonna have a bearing on the star wars universe itself, but the main storyline with the main characters will.

12. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    To be honest, I'm still part of the camp that would've preferred a KotOR III. But I'll take an MMO because I'm loving the story so much.

13. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    I've been reading Deceived and it's pretty well done. The opening chapter(s) is basically the Deceived trailer with more detail and insight into what is really going on.

Well, it's been stated by Bioware that this game is essentially KotOR 3, 4, 5 and 6 rolled into one. Basically any sequel they'd want to do is smashed into this game, somehow. Or something along those lines.

14. darthsolo1717

darthsolo1717 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2011
    I find these stories boring and repetitive. Sith Lord who is called an Emperor. Check. Galactic Empire about to rule the galaxy. Check. Smugglers. Check. Stormtroopers. Check. Star Destroyers. Check. I could go on but all I can say is me? I'm buying it for the game, and not the story.

15. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    Yes, I've heard that. But we don't get a truly canon story out of it.

I hope that between the 30 days of free play I got by pre-ordering and another 30 days, I can knock out the main story for a trooper and a Jedi guardian. After that, I'll be done... hopefully. I just want more story. At most, I'd play 4 runs through the story (all the Republic classes). No interest in any Imperials.

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    This is all of Star Wars right now, though.

We have Sith as the enemies in KotoR, in Knight Errant, in FotJ and in Legacy, with variations of Sith and Stormtroopers and Star Destroyers. There are variations of it, but its more or less the same.

The Empire in ToR comes from the Ancient Sith Empire, and the Tribe in FotJ comes from Ancient Sith Empire, and in Legacy the Dark Lord, Darth Krayt, is trained by a Sith from the Ancient Sith Empire. The Ancient Sith Empire is vogue. [face_laugh]

Hardly our fault, but we may as well enjoy it. :p

There is some nuances to the story, at least - specifically, who the Emperor is, why the Emperor has withdrew, what happened to Revan and the Exile, and why the Sith demanded some very specific systems under the Treaty - and there are some intriguing side points... Darth Jadus, House Thul being the enemy on Alderaan, Darth Malgus generally, the Mandalorians seem to have some internal issues, and of course the Separatists from Ord Mantell. Oh, and the Chiss joined the Empire.

Continuity and story nuances that I am looking forward to, at least.

17. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Yes some things will be repetitive but isn't that real life in general. But there will be new things that we haven't yet explored such as Revan's story and so on. I won't knock it until i play it.

18. Eone_Bane

Eone_Bane Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 28, 2011
    It would drive me crazy to have the story but not be able to play the game. I love MMO's so I'll hopefully be playing TOR.

19. darthsolo1717

darthsolo1717 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2011
    @Sinrebirth:

I get your point and I'm fine with Sith being the enemy. I'm not necessarily saying ToR is the only one, I'm honestly getting tired of Sith War after Sith War rehashes but ToR in particular is guilty of this.

Knight Errant is really telling George Lucas' story, he said as much in interviews that the Sith broke away from the Jedi and started a war, this war lasted a thousand years and Knight Errant is really just putting some known Star Wars "history" into comic format.

At least the Sith in the other books you mentioned are original. This is what, 3,500 years before Episode I and we have carbon copies of Stormtroopers and Star Destroyers? I think the technology levels in TOTJ were too archaic-looking and the Sith were cliche and frankly stupid villains, but better that than what we have in ToR, in my humble opinion. =)

I just wish the Expanded Universe didn't repeat stories so often. Other sci-fi franchises have gotten off good doing original stories.

20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I also would've preferred a KOTOR III, but I probably will buy this game since I know many people aho are going to get it and it looks like it will be great. If I terminate my Galaxies subscription I should free up money to pay for it (not sure how much it will be though).

21. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    I would say that looking at KOTOR trailers without having knowledge of the games, one would be left with the conclusion it too is a 'carbon copy' of the films, with Star Destroyer-like ships, a Sith Lord evoking imagery of Darth Vader with the Imperial March playing as he strides down a shuttle ramp, an Empire, etc.

I'm actually looking more forward to past stories which ToR will tell, i.e. the little details of the ancient Sith Empire we don't know yet, Revan's action against the Sith, etc. more than anything.

22. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I can't stand the MMO/RPG combat mechanics that are all about numbers and whittling away at giant health bars. If TOR had a more fluid combat style like Force Unleashed or even Battlefront II for lightsabers and ME2 for guns then I'd just need a powerful enough computer to run it. As it stands though, the lore is the only thing that interests me. Same with Warhammer, I'd buy the army guidebooks for the backstories with no intention of ever buying the models or playing the tabletop game. Getting all the tie-in stuff for sure, but I can't see myself devoting hours to a game that isn't fun for me to play, just for the story. I have no doubt the story will be epic though.

23. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    Well, just canceled my Collector's Edition pre-order. I really wanted the extra stuff, but I can't justify a $150+ cost, especially when probably 80% of that extra cost is a Malgus figure I don't really want. Even more so, just purchased some Christmas gifts and my textbooks for next semester. Nice $240 bill on my credit card. w00t

I may decide, in the next couple days, to pre-order the regular edition so that I can get 30 days of free use of the game, but I don't know. I really want to take a Trooper/Vanguard and do a solo run, making this my KotOR III. I was talking with a friend last night and he got me thinking about replayability, though. We were talking about the old KotORs and he said his problem with TOR was that he'd have to buy a month of time if he wanted to replay the game sometime later. I can see that. I got KotOR I and II long after they were actually released; I got them for a low price that I only had to pay once. With TOR, I'd have to pay more to replay it. Not a fan of that...

24. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    For everyone concerned with a monthly fee, i will tell my tale of World of Warcraft.

I was the very same way. The idea of paying a monthly fee for a game seemed like a bad idea to me. I couldn't justify it. I thought that was a complete ripoff.

I had a couple of old college friends who were trying to get me into WoW. Claimed it was a great way to keep in touch. I was hesitant due to the monthly fee. They then suggested Guild Wars, as it was a one-time fee. I said "okay, maybe we can try that."

I went to EBgames and picked up the latest Guild Wars package. I got up to the register and they had one of those 14-day WoW trials for 1.99. I looked long and hard at it. The cashier said to me "I'm warning you, buddy, if you pick that up and try it before you try GW, you won't even open the GW box up."

I told him about my misgivings with a monthly fee. His argument back was: "dude in the long run it will actually save you money because that game right there will be the ONLY game you play."

I picked up the 1.99 trial. Installed it that night. 2 days later i was back returning the GW package unopened.

For the next 5 years my gaming energies were devoted pretty much exclusively to WoW.

The only game that really interrupted my WoWing was Starcraft II. I also took time out to play the Force Unleashed titles. Other then that, the guy was 100% correct in his MMO prediction.

Now admittedly i wasn't getting into the game for the story, but the gameplay was simply just so addictive. I have never played anything like it.

25. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    See, that's pretty much the exact reason why I don't want to pay a monthly fee. I feel that, if I pay it, I want to get my money's worth. And it's $180 a year, if you don't get a discount. I don't even spend that much on games per year, usually, so I'd be paying more than I would normally.

I want to play other games. I don't want MMOs to consume my free time. That's why I only played the one MMO I've ever played for a few months because I realized it was taking up all my time. I wanted to do other things without, basically, paying for time on the game I wasn't using.