main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would be great to see more of Dooku

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by ArrogantJedi, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArrogantJedi

ArrogantJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2008
    I think it would be great if we saw more of Count Dooku in the series. I feel that overall, we need to see him do more of the stuff we didn't see in Episode 2, and the stuff we expect him to do during TCW.

A few points:-

- Meetings with Separatist Council, dicussing war strategies, tactics and other political issues (such as winning certain planets over that are split 50-50 between Republic and CIS, etc)
    - See him giving a speech or two (with key Separatist Council figures and planet rulers at his side while doing it). I'd actually like to see him giving a speech to a vast crowd of a planet's people - there were obviously those that supported the CIS and would welcome him appearance.
    - While he has Grievous and Ventress to do most of his dirty work, would be extra special to see him in combat with other Jedi Masters or Council members on rare occasions in the series - although would be cool if in the episode prieviews, the encounter is not hinted at in the slightest, hence a big suprise when we do see it. Now with the animation, they could really pull off some nice combat with Dooku's fencing style, twirling of the saber and using the force during the battle.
    - Wouldn't mind him perhaps try to prove a point about the corruption and "influence of a dark lord" in the Republic Senate when facing a Jedi Council/Master he may have been close with while a Jedi. I don't see this being with someone like Mace, because I think there would be too much ego there and with Yoda I don't see it, I see Yoda more willing trying to turn Dooku back if he could. I could see Dooku having this conversion with a younger Jedi that would be in the age range similar to Qui-Gon...so Plo Koon could be a candidate for that, given his relationship with Qui-Gon.

What are your thoughts with Dooku usage in TCW so far?

2. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Well, I will say that they captured quite a few of his personality traits well (cunning, devious, deceptive, vindictive/vengeful, as well as resourceful, refined and dry), though in terms of his acts, the only signs we've seen of his badassery are his duel with Anakin in the TCW movie, and his killing the two guards with his Force techniques. I WOULD like to see more of him as the orator and swordsman, though. Show us why he's the most deadly and cunning opponent that the Jedi know of. [face_devil]

Bolded the ones I love. :D

I'm not sure if they'd go with war councils for the bad guys, though if we get a Seppie perspective episode, it could work. I like strategy meetings. :D

If Corey Burton can make Cad Bane so awesome, I'd REALLY like to see him pull off Dooku's speech skills...the count's done it in comics, after all. :p

If you look carefully (or have too much free time like me [face_laugh]), his duel in the movie pilot DOES quite faithfully recreate his episode 2 fighting style. I'll break it down for those who wish to skip the movie...;)
    -Dooku makes use of two-handed strikes, but only when he has to match strength with strength or when he's setting up for a counter blow
    -Befitting a fencer, he favours the use of thrusts, be it one-handed or two-handed
    -In the latter half of the duel, even if it goes by at breakneck speeds, you can actually spot him using mostly one-handed slashes to redirect Anakin's attacks
    -It's quite something when you can take The Chosen One's force push and turn it against him. :D

As to the talks, I WOULD love to see a scene like that...more so if it's Plo Koon. Give us proof that he was friends with Qui-Gon, dangit! ON-SCREEN proof! :_|
    The actual dynamics of the talk may depend on who he's talking to, though.
    -Mace would be the sort to butt heads with Dooku, but they probably remember their past friendship and still have a high amount of respect. Dooku could try opening up with his talk, but if Mace figures out combat is inevitable, he'll probably keep tight lipped
    -Yoda, like you said, would be more willing to give redemption a chance
    -Plo Koon's odd, as from what we've DEFINITELY seen, he has a lot of compassion and wisdom, so he might be willing to listen. On the other hand, he's described as martial and decisive with a firm sense of right and wrong...the visual guide states that he believes Dooku's treason needs to be dealt with, especially since the Sith have cost

3. JediBendu

JediBendu Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 1999
    I'd love to see more of the duality of dooku, the gentleman count Dookue vs the sith lord Darth Tyranus.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I definitely second this. Especially if it could be tied in more with his image as a "political idealist." The shows don't have to get all politically-oriented (*cough*SenateSpy*cough*) to do it; just show that he was a sort of the Qui-Gon-gone-bad.

When he was first introduced in AOTC I actually thought he was supposed to be some type of foil for Qui-Gon, actually. But he's been relegated to the background in most of the shows, or else portrayed as some sort of emotionless pawn of Sidious's. The Dooku of the movies seemed a little more passionate about what he was doing. Especially in that conversation with Obi-Wan on Geonosis.

5. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    I agree on seeing Dooku as an inspirational figure for the Seperatists, that sounds like a neat way to present him instead of having him be in the background so much. Also would like seeing him fight and be more active.

A duel with Mace Windu could be cool, and a re-match with Yoda. I like that they've kept Dooku as his 'fallen apprentice' like AotC suggests. For some reason the EU changed this and made someone else Dooku's master.

And Dooku trying to convert Jedi to his cause sounds interesting.. How about if he mentions Qui-Gon at some point? Or have someone mention him in this show. Obi-Wan and Anakin seem to have forgotten the bearded Jedi who trained/freed them.

6. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009

7. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Don't think anything's wrong with Dooku's voice, but for the performance I wish he didn't talk so slooooow.. The voice sounds not exactly like, but enough like Christopher Lee to me.

As for his design.. it's one of the micro-series-inspired designs in this show, so I don't mind it. Though he does seem.. heavier, not as 'knifelike' and tall/slim as he was in the micro-series.

8. Emperor_Gunray

Emperor_Gunray Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2005
    Honestly, I've not really enjoyed Dooku so far - he's basically just 'the boss', and only seems to show up to insult Grievous and the other Separatists. I'd love to see more of Dooku as the political leader - he seems to edgy and angry in this series, and he's quite obviously evil, where as Christopher Lee played him in a very gentlemanly way.

9. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Yes, I'd like to see a return to a more gentlemanly Dooku- but with the caveat that we still get thrown the occasional "I would kill you both if I would not have to drag your bodies"- type moment.

Because come on- that's gotta be Dooku's best line in the whole series so far. ;)

10. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    I'm down for Dooku as speechmaker, or him dueling with some other Jedi. But I wouldn't mind if he never squared off with Anakin again in the series, so Ani's line about his powers doubling in ROTS has greater credence.

I'm pretty surprised actually that we haven't seen any of the Big 3 from season 1 yet this fall!

11. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    I agree that we need to see some more of Dooku as a political man, like the meeting with the Separatists in Episode II. I would also like to see him dueling with Grievous in a training session like the ones he had with him in the micro-series. I do think we should see Dooku fight a whole squad of clones by himself, like attacking a Republic base or something along those lines.

12. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    I may get a lot of hate for what I'm about to say, but I'm not to big of a Dooku fan. I think Christopher Lee is a fantastic actor, and I think Corey Burton is one of the best voice actors of all time, but Dooku is just so bland of a character. I haven't really noticed his absence this season.

13. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    Naw, I get where you're coming from. His appearances, while nice to behold to some, can be seen as less than important. Still, I'm looking forward to what he CAN be made out to be. :p

EU materials are the ones that usually give him some of the best lines and moments to make fans feel more sympathetic towards the character. That, and Star Wars characters have a long history of being made out to be bigger than they are on screen. How else do you explain fans of the Jedi Council that sits around doing nothing? XD

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    ::switches banner::

More Dooku, as requested. ;)

15. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Nostalgic, much? ;)

That was a weird banner switch. It took me a while to accept that I wasn't in the wrong place.

16. Corpseslayer

Corpseslayer Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2009
    I like it.

17. ArrogantJedi

Oct 11, 2008
    On the topic of the Council, I'd also like to see in a Council meeting them discuss Dooku and his turn to the dark side and what may have caused it...ie, his maverick ways and if he has a master...or if he is the only sith....that is, if they actually know that he is a Sith lord or if he is a simply a dark jedi.

But yes, hopefully if Yoda comes face to face with Dooku again, I'd like to see him try talk him around, given that he was his master. For the same reasons I'd like to see him face some of the other Council members such as Mace, Plo, Ki-Adi, etc and see what they have to say to him too.

I think a balance needs to be found with Dooku, you don't want too much of him, but at times if he did become involved in combat with a Jedi (other than Anakin or Obi-Wan for once), it should be something extra special. With the animation now in Season 2 and beyond, they could really make an awesome duel between top-tier characters. I was already amazed what they did with Season 1 episode 10 - Lair of Grievous, but now, it could be something truly awesome. The camera work also contributes to that and Takeuchi did an awesome job in Lair of Grievous and other episode directors should take note from that episode.

Oh and if we do see Dooku in action, I want to see him with his cape ON. I like the way, given his fencing style the way his cape flows behind him - it's incredibly elegant and not something you see from other Jedi - but would also like to see some Jedi do battle with their capes as well.

18. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    There's actually some sketch studies of Dooku's fighting style in the Season 1 DVD art booklet. WICKED cool. :D

Despite his use of some two-handed moves in the movie, I think they would aim to make him one-handed most of the time. The notes are as described:
    -Dooku's fighting stances and style should be very elegant...reminiscent of fencing.
    -Dooku should NEVER use a two-handed sword move. He is too proud for that, and thinks too highly of his saber skills to use two hands.
    -He would sit with his legs crossed.

Alright, that last one isn't SO related to fencing, but still. They delivered on that...they might very well deliver on the fighting. :p

Also, they sketched the rough outlines without a cape, and I gotta say, it actually looks pretty good too. Somehow really makes him look like a fencer. Though if we see him in battle, I wonder how his build and model would translate into action...He seems a little heavier, as some people have said, than his 2D appearance. [face_thinking]

Lightsaber Duels, however lukewarm some may find it, actually has some neat interpretations of the fighting styles belonging to each character. Dooku, for instance, almost always uses one-handed blows.

Now speaking of OTHER Jedi with capes and whatnot, I think they'll mostly stick with the models they have and work on further animating those...though I do admit, the tunic/gauntlets combo DOES look awesome to me, and Mace Windu's waist sashes were really well animated when you see him in action. In fact, in the TCW movie, you CAN see Plo Koon's waist sashes moving really well in the opening reel. We'll probably see them dueling in what they were introduced in, but who knows...they might find better models. :D

19. Dunedain1

Dunedain1 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2003
    I would definitely like to see a lot more of Count Dooku in The Clone Wars, I think he's the coolest villain in the time of the prequels. :) We're 7 episodes into the new season and we haven't seen him once, that's too long.

Great idea about getting to see the Jedi Council discussing Dooku and how he may have gotten drawn towards the dark side, what led up to it, how it may have been prevented, if he might possibly be persuaded to return to the Jedi Order, and so on. That would be so interesting to listen to. :)

20. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    I'd like to see more of Sids and Dooku's relationship(or lack thereof, it seems to me). This series seems to show more of the potential of betrayal and distrust between the two of them, I would like to see this explored more in this series.

And is just me or are Sids and Dooku having a sort of 'one-up' contest between each other? First Sids and the Sith spy/holocron thing and now supposedly Dooku with his droid foundry and maybe the brain worm thing. It makes me wonder what Sids will come up with next to try and trump him.:p

21. Darth_Spurrier

Darth_Spurrier Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2009
    I think we will see more of him before to long. The first half covered the Bounty Hunter portion of the series (and I think we will see more) and now we are watching them battle on Geonosis. I woul think we have to see more Dooku before to long.

22. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    When he takes out the pirate guards at the end of The Gungan General, it was truly one of the most badass moments of the series. [face_devil]

23. DarthGimpy

DarthGimpy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2004
    I suppose if I could only choose one Jedi to battle Darth Tyranus in the Clone Wars series, it would Mace. A part of me would like to see a Dooku/Obi-Wan battle... just the two of them- one in which Obi-Wan does not get pwned, since the way Dooku twice dispatched Obi-Wan so easily in the movies left such a bad taste in my mouth.

24. ArrogantJedi

Oct 11, 2008
    A one-on-one with Obi-Wan I guess could happen again....although I'd much rather it be some other Jedi Master, since apart from Yoda we've only seen Dooku battle Obi-Wan or Anakin and it does get a bit boring. I'd like to see him face Mace - that's one just about everyone wants to see, possibly a Yoda re-match and perhaps a 2 vs 1 scenario with 2 other Jedi Council Members (Plo, Ki-Adi, Kit - pick any you want), since apparently bar Yoda and Mace Dooku is superior to any of the other Council members. I guess there's Luminara as well....you could have Luminara and Barriss face Dooku and see how another Master/Padawan team go against him.

As for Dooku beating Obi-Wan badly, I don't particularly see a problem with that in that it's a horrible match-up for Obi-Wan - some people just can't help but be personal whipping boys for someone else, yet apart from that, can challenge and beat almost everyone else.

25. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    Dooku: Come then, Padawan. Why not attack me now and put an end to this?
    Barris Offee: Now who would do a foolish thing like that?
    Luminara: We're taking you together.
    Dooku: (under his breath) Krif!

I'd assuredly like to see anything involving Plo Koon versus Dooku, obviously. Though I must admit, Kit Fisto is a sweet alternative due to the vastly different personalities. And of course, Ki-Adi-Mundi has his whole 'political idealist, not a murderer' line. :p

I also imagine it might be neat if we had a reversal of the Episode 2 situation. Asajj Ventress, perhaps alongside Grievous, a Dark Acolyte, or a prominent villain, attempt to capture/pursue a Jedi Master, though it could go the other way round. After the master(s) get(s) the better of the villain(s), Dooku steps in and engages the Jedi, buying time for his minions to escape and forcing the Jedi to retreat.
    I think it would be a great way to reestablish him as the Jedi Order's premiere duelist. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.