main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Would Disney Re-Cast Anakin/Darth Vader over using Hayden again?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by clone3131, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Again you are presenting your opinions as if they are facts. There are a lot of people who enjoyed Hayden's performance in the PT (me!) and wouldn't mind it if he returned in the ST. Now, go ahead and tell me my opinion is wrong.

2. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm just trying to catch up to your glorious 350 post count ;) Goodnight and Haden sucks. Dream about it. I'll be having nightmares. Vader the weak little whiny boy. Oh the humanity!

3. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    What's the last film he's done in theaters? BAM! Hollywood agrees with me.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Takers in 2010 wasn't too long ago and he also has a few films in the production. [face_peace]

5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    We get the point. You don't like Hayden. If you must continue posting in the thread, please continue in a constructive manner. That means without negative or derogatory comments toward your fellow posters. Cheers.

6. Crankcase

Crankcase Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 20, 2012
    Although Hayden significantly improved his acting since Episode 2 he is still pretty bad. :) Most of the Star Wars fans don't like Hayden at all. And Disney is doing everything right now to please the fans. So no Hayden in the new Trilogy.

7. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    What do the fans hate more, the scripts or his acting?

8. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I love Hayden he was really good in Episode 1 " He just loves Pod Racing" .

9. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Yes, what she said.

10. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Most Star Wars fans love Hayden and the Prequels.

11. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    A good actor can generally make a bad script work OK, Christopher Lee was fine in the PT and he had the same script as everyone else.

I personally have no desire to see Hayden again in the ST unless they want to do some holo-vid thing of Anakin talking to Luke. Anakin serves no purpose anymore and I never rated Hayden much anyway.

12. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    This. I don't really get the people who think we need Anakin in order to continue the story. The story can continue with his legacy through his children and/or grandchildren if they choose to go that route. Right now putting in Anakin would seriously feel as though they were saying, "We did this just to bring back an old character". Maybe I am just being pessimistic on that though.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  13. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    That's a fairly broad assumption.

14. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    To be fair Chris Lee's screen time was about 5 mins or so in both Clones and Sith, in which he did a poor mans version of Saruman. He also didn't have to say sand anology lines or how its unfair and he didn't have to work opposite Portman who was awful as well and yet went on and got an Oscar afterwards.

Anakin as a Force Ghost would work, after all its his grandchildren who will probably be the stars and regardless, Disney will want Darth Vader in it at some point, make no mistake about that if only for a second so they can sell things with his image.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Portman is a good actress and deserved her oscar, she just wasn't good in the PT

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes it is but so is this:

;)

17. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Perhaps, but is that her fault or Lucas fault for bad writing,directing, editing and casting and does the same apply with Hayden.

To be clear I thought he was poor but as Iv not seen him in anything else I dunno of that's because of him or because of Lucas. I mean that scene in Sith when the Jedi will not make him a Master and he bitches that it's unfair !!! That's not Haydens fault, that's the fault of Lucas who obviously had not realized that a powerful and exerienced war veteran and Jedi would not say that. Same way he didn't realize that Obi-wan declaring Palpatine is evil is a stupid thing to say right after he had said only Sith deal in absolutes!

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  18. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    The Prequels had an amazing cast: Neeson, McGregor, Portman, Lee, McDiarmid... all are AMAZING actors. When you have a movie where pretty much all of your otherwise amazing actors are doing terrible, then you know it's not the actors fault. Blame usually lies with the script and the director.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I guess every war veteran and Jedi must have the exact same personality. There are no emotional, impulsive, angry war veterans in the world? They are all emotionally stable and happy individuals! That's a bit idealistic, don't you think?

20. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Of course people's reactions are different but whining like a child is not one of them. Strangely enough the book did a far better version of that scene

Darth kRud likes this.
  21. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    You see whining, I see an extremely scarred and emotionally unstable person. We both have our own interpretations but to say someone can't act this way or that way because he is a Jedi or a war veteran is simply ridiculous. Anakin is a person first and foremost and every person (despite their occupation) has their own unique personality. Also to say an adult can't act like a whining child sometimes is also inaccurate (just ask my wife! ;))

22. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    At the time Anakin was still a soldier, and thus questioning (and complaining) about his superior's orders. No real soldier would have an outburst like that in the face of a disappointing yet reasonable order. Not without facing real discipline, and perhaps a court martial. Especially at a time of war.

---

IMO, Hayden is not a good actor. I thought he was serviceable in Shattered Glass, but in Live as a House he was very similar to his portrayal of Anakin in AotC. That said, the way the character was written was worse.

Anakin's fall is supposed to be tragic. He's written to be annoying and unsympathetic. That's a fundamental problem. We hear that he and his mother are slaves, but see no real signs of hardship. The kid works retail, and apparently has enough time on his hands to both build a pod racer and protocol droid. He leaves his mother to, for all intents and purposes, live in a monastery, yet time with the Jedi inexplicably makes him a jerk. We never actually see his growing pains, or any incidents that would lead him to get bitter at the Jedi. We're left with the Anakin of TPM being a completely different person than the Anakin of the next two films, with nothing to bridge the gap. What's more is that child Anakin is a much better person than young adult Anakin. Yet, since adult Anakin is the one who succumbs to the Dark Side, and since he's already a jerk by that time, the impact is all but negated. It's, "Oh, look at who's finally showing his true colors," rather than, "Wow, it's sad to see how far he's gone off the deep end."

FWIW, RotS tried addressing some of this in his "I'm not the Jedi I should be" speech, where he feels trapped by reaching the pinnacle of his power/stature within the Jedi Order. The question, "Is there nothing else?" is a fundamental one. But it's just too little, too late. One moment of honest introspection does not erase a trilogy of poor characterization.

Valairy Scot, Darth kRud and fett 4 like this.
  23. Kapap Combative

Kapap Combative Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2013
    Couldn't Luke be that conciousness?

24. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  25. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    For me this was the most wasted opportunity of the PT the whole Slavery issue Having Anakin (and older not a kid) come from a background of slavery and the fact the Jedi would not or could not get involved to help those slaves, would explain both the anger issues and his eventual siding with Palpatine, who would give him the means and the army to liberate slaves. It would also have a certain tragedy to it that Anakin goes to the dark-side after trying to do good.

Instead its not really relevant at all in the story since in Clones his mother has already been bought and freed off camera, before she shows up and dies so he can kill sand people. She could have been in a dancing Cabaret the end result is exactly the same. Also Lucas having him kill women and children was a dumb move too. Having Portman declare that being angry is being human with a wooden expression, then marrying the guy was even more stupid but that's another thread entirely.

Pro Scoundrel and KevinM1 like this.