main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Would Dr Evazan "Roofoo" qualify as the Character who's survival has been retconned most?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Iron_lord, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Inspired by a digression in this thread:​

I figured it might be worth cataloguing how many survival retcons he's received.​

So far, it looks like this:​

Star Wars Film was unclear about whether he survived the fight, movie novelization decided he was alive (and one-armed), ANH radio drama decided he was dead (cut in half), later EU (possibly West End Games, possibly Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina) decided he was alive, newcanon (Databank) decided he was dead.​

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I can only fund one character's survival campaign at a time.

3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Shaak Ti gives him some serious competition.

4. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    General Dodonna and Hobbie/Veers might not be to that degree, but had some back and forth over the years.

I still wish that it had been Ahsoka in TFU rather than Shaak Ti. Especially since the Grievous killing Shaak scene in ROTS would have given her whole storyline in the last season of Clone Wars that much more strength rather than how Tartakovsky was forced to wrap it up.

JediBatman likes this.
  5. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    The canon fate of General Veers (MaximiLLian in canon, MaximiLian in Legends) is currently ambiguous. No source explicitely confirms, at least to my knowledge, whether he died or survived. His Databank entry doesn't say. (Oddly enough, Queen Breha's Databank entry says she was "presumed" to have died in the Disaster... Weird.)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  6. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Uhhhh... yeah that is actually weird. Not only does it give the impression they talked it over behind the scenes and decided to leave it purposefully ambiguous, but it's the clearest source yet (to my knowledge? someone correct me if I'm wrong) that Leia was definitely not thinking of her when she was discussing her mother in ROTJ. Unless this was brought up in the Leia comics? I haven't read those yet.

7. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    I'd say Cassio Tagge's up there: implied dead in ANH, alive in the old run of Marvel's comics, retconned dead in the modern EU, and now alive---with a promotion to boot!---in the NEU.

JediBatman likes this.
  8. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    The first issue of the comic has Leia saying that Breha died when Alderaan was destroyed. But I guess maybe she's just assuming, too.

9. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    How about Boba Fett?

Fell into sarlacc pit in ROTJ and somehow escape and alive in old EU. Now fate is unknown in new EU.

I just hope Mon Mothma, Dodonna and Madine get better endings in the new EU.

JediBatman likes this.
  10. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    I want Mon Mothma to die peacefully in her sleep the year before The Force Awakens takes place. The poor woman has been through enough.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  11. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Mon Mothma would be 82 in the year of TFA going by her Legends birthyear. For Star Wars, this isn't that old. Lor San Tekka and Dooku were out and about at this age. The only reason Mothma was killed off in the EU was due to a novel naming a ship after her, then realizing that must mean she passed on. They then tied her Jedi Academy Trilogy illness to her early (for Star Wars) death.

Ironically, a reasonable assumption could be made that Mothma, Dodonna, and Madine were all with the home fleet in the Hosnian system as of TFA...

Incidentally, Dodonna was killed in the Legends Star Wars newspaper comic in the Yavin evacuation, then seen alive in Dark Empire with no explanation initially. Later EU sources retconned Dodonna to being captured during the evacuation of Yavin (seen in the PC game Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds) then being rescued in time to show up for Dark Empire (seen in the X-Wing novels).

In Disney canon, Dodonna is now seen alive immediately post Yavin evacuation with no indication he was ever captured or believed dead. I really love the Star Wars PC games, including Galactic Battlegrounds, and have them as my own head canon, so I pretend Dodonna was captured as per the game and then immediately escaped to show up in Disney's Marvel Star Wars comics.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Nom von Anor likes this.
  12. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Better than being Pernicar'd, that is to die twice. Without getting Lemlisk'd.

13. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Mon Mothma could be living in peaceful retirement on Chandrila, though still keeping a breast of things on Hosnian Prime but doesn't try to deal with the fighting without looking like a bad person (in my headcanon she supports the Resistance and probably gave Leia the advice needed to start it).

Dodonna would be 90+ if he was 60+ at the time of Yavin. He could be retired as well.

Madine, mid/late-30s at the time of Endor, could be head of Corellia's defence forces or something.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  14. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Re: Mon Mothma, I actually wish they included a cameo appearance by Caroline Blakiston (who is now 83) in the Sequel Trilogy.

15. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    He wasn't alive in the old Marvel run --- members of his family, the powerful House of Tagge, were in it for a while, but Cassio was still dead.

Also, K'Kruhk hasn't been mentioned yet. He died so many times that it became an in-universe running joke. "I've died any number of times in my life. Or so I've heard."

But then he didn't die at the end of Legacy. Sigh.

JediBatman likes this.
  16. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    The fact that Cassio Tagge and Ulric Tagge were separate individuals wasn't formally introduced before Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds, if I remember well. I think the Marvel authors intended Ulric to be the officer from ANH, but other sources contradicted that. Essentially, Ulric as Cassio's brother is a retcon.

17. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    I remember that the very first rumor about Nien Nunb and Admiral Ackbar appearing in TFA included Mon Mothma as well. I was also sad that that turned out to only be two thirds right.

Also, nothing against Nien Nunb, but having him appear but not Lando was nonsense.

Riv_Shiel and LelalMekha like this.
  18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  19. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Pretty sure it won't happen, but... if there's some sort of funeral service for the whole Senate's death on Hosnian Prime, it would be logical for Mothma to be there.

20. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Time to open that can of Hux-is-Mon's-grandson worms nobody's touched yet.

Riv_Shiel and LelalMekha like this.
  21. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Amusing, but rather unlikely. Mon Mothma was not even 40 when Brendol Hux, a grown man and a senior officer, ran his Imperial Academy. She can't be his mother.

22. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Carbonite! With carbonite, any age discrepancy is explainable. The answer is always carbonite.

23. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I don't know about that. What I do know is that it's never lupus.

ATimson likes this.
  24. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I didn't say mother!:p

Edit: Oh, you're talking of Hux's father? I'd say the timing works fine. We don't have exact ages on either of them in-universe.

25. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I wonder if Aphra from the Vader comics counts, since she seems almost like Vaders girlfriend. Which most people didn't think he had before.