Discussion Would EP 1-3 and EP 7-9 even be around if it werent for the EU?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Spoilers Allowed' started by Granek, Jun 17, 2014.

?

Would Star Wars be as popular now if it weren't for the EU to keep it afloat after RoTJ?

Nope! you're a loon! someone force choke this fool! 2 vote(s) 16.7%
No without book sales, fan fiction and interest why would Lucas try to make Ep 1-3? 4 vote(s) 33.3%
Yes it would Star Wars is a Religion and will live forever! 5 vote(s) 41.7%
I'm not sure 1 vote(s) 8.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Granek Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    I find lots of EU/legends 'dislike' here- I vehemently disagree with some of the ridiculous rhetoric about it but, hey we're each welcomed to our own opinion.

I'd like to ask would Ep 1-3 even be made if it weren't for the EU-comics, books that kept the Star Wars Universe alive/afloat in order to attain a new fan base?

I'm curious to everyone's opinion on this topic
  2. Django Fett Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes GL had written story treatments for eps 1-3 in the characters backstory, eps 7-9 elements kind of got condensed into ROTJ when GL had a change of heart and end the OT at #6.

How serious he was at making the PT between 1974 and 1980 is anyones guess as GL is so difficult to pin down.
    mikeximus likes this.
  3. LittleDefel Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Absolutely. Those who closely followed the EU books and comics in the 1980s and 90s made up a very small percentage of the fan base. The massive hype surrounding the release of Phantom Menace was from the love of the films and the fact that new Star Wars had not been seen in 16 years.
    pancake-eater and jaqen like this.
  4. 3PO Force Ghost

star 4
    Pretty sure the prequels (and now sequels) were made despite the EU....not because of it.
    pancake-eater, jaqen, Dranem and 5 others like this.
  5. mes520 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I think they would have come either way.

Though they may have helped moved things along. Tptb see how much fan interest there is, so instead of waiting so many more years. They decide to make it happen a few years sooner.

Also they've had a couple of other influences. Coruscant, for example.
    Ryus likes this.
  6. bobbyroberts Force Ghost

star 3
    I'm unsure as to whether the Expanded Universe was ever really much more than a means to an end on the merchandising and developmental research side of things. Especially starting in 96:

1991: Thrawn Trilogy - can we sell Star Wars to a slightly more adult market without drafting off a film release?
    1996: Shadows of the Empire - can marketing sell a movie without a movie?
    1997: The Special Editions - can we feasibly do what we need to do visually for the prequels, and does Star Wars still sell tickets?

I think the heyday of the Expanded Universe was borne from a need to test boundaries at Lucasfilm to see if the property could maintain viability, as opposed to what happened through the mid-late '80s, during that brief period where Star Wars was, essentially, dead. It was the only time Star Wars hasn't been really popular in one form or another, and was the only time that "liking Star Wars" was seen as a somewhat weird thing - and even then, not that weird. When people talk about how they felt like it was weird to admit you liked Star Wars? They're usually talking about anywhere between 1985 and 1993.

So would the PT have been made without the EU? probably, because I get the sense the EU got the push it got as a means to prep the company for when the Prequels were going to be eventually made anyway.

Just my opinion on it - I'm sure that there's MUCH more to it than that. And that's not to say the works done during that period weren't deserving of their attention/acclaim/sales. Especially stuff like the Lucasarts Star Wars games (TIE Fighter, Dark Forces, etc. etc.). But I think by the time the 90s rolled around, Lucas had stuff he definitely wanted to do, and leveraging Star Wars financially was a good way to do it.
    jaqen, Bob Octa, Granger and 3 others like this.
  7. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Hard to say one way or the other... but at the very least it likely helped Lucas get back in the game earlier than he would have on his own and/or was Lucas's way of testing the water to see if he should get back in the game imho. Its also likely that the EU (books, comics, video games) and the second wave of Star Wars toys that got big again in the 90s helped seriously fund the prequals, these sales in turn helped Disney's CEO to realize buying Star Wars would be insanely profitiable in the long run.

I'll say they contributed...
    Last edited by Ryus, Jun 17, 2014
  8. Jobertus Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I love a substantial portion of the old-EU, but I doubt it's success (to whatever degree it was successful) played a part in GL's decision to write an outline for a ST, otherwise a ST would have happened years ago. My only quibble with GL's decision is that he let the post-RotJ EU go on and on instead of holding a tighter reign on it -- then just killing it. Certainly the PT was a given. I don't know so much about the ST, because most of his interviews over the years paint a picture that what became TESB and RotJ (or at least RotJ) was going to be in Episodes VII-IX. Of course he also did say he had ideas for a ST (when Luke was old) rolling around in his mind as well. IMM, since RotJ there has always been material for a ST, but that is one fan's vision and not GL's vision. I am very happy that GL changed his mind.
  9. Darth_Corvus Force Ghost

star 4
    Well the last star wars movie was released 10 years ago. The OT ended 30 years ago. Treatment or no treatment I'm positive that Star Wars needed the EU as life support.
  10. thejeditraitor Chosen One

star 4
    yes interest was still around when the pt came out and most of those people never got into the e.u.
  11. yodasbum Force Ghost

star 2
    I don't think that the EU had any impact upon the decision to produce the prequels. George was pretty consistent with the claim that Star Wars was on hiatus from 1983 and that the next trilogy would be the prequels. I was always pretty confident that he would film the prequels and was very happy when I first read an announcement in the December Empire magazine of 1993. At that stage the EU was really in its infancy with the books Thrawn trilogy being one of the only things that I was aware of. It was after this stage that nostalgia for the old Star Wars Toys really took off.

As for the Sequel trilogy I think that there is a more reasonable claim that the EU has influenced the decision to make more Star Wars films. I appeared to me and many others that the Star Wars cinematic universe had ended especially after the modest box office for both the Clone Wars and 3D release of Phantom Menace. The EU has continually shown that there are many Star Wars fans out there willing to put down there hard earned cash for more products from a galaxy far, far away. This surely influenced Disney into buying this brand.

Would George have made the Sequel trilogy anyway? Well I'm not certain about that. It was reported that Peter Mayhew was signed up for a multiple film deal on ROTS. It was reported that certain domain names had been purchased around ROTS that would indicate further films being made. George was obviously working on the sequels before he sold to Disney. But was he working on them because he wanted to make them or was he working on them as part of the deal? If he wanted to make them surely he would be more involved than he is currently?

The Harrison Ford foot story was bigger than the opening of the World Cup! I think that shows that interest in Star Wars is higher than it has been since the summers of 1977 and 1999. I would say that over 90% of the people reading up and anticipating episode VII haven't read, played or bought a single scrap of EU material/product.

I think that we would still have the PT and more than likely the ST today without the EU.
    Last edited by yodasbum, Jun 18, 2014
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    This thread... it does not belong here.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.