main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT would ewoks be accepted nowadays?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by froog, Dec 26, 2015.

1. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    It... depends. On one hand, you have people that are convinced Star Wars is, at its core, extremely dark and adult. I swear to god, there are people that think The Force Awakens, which is a rather melancholy film, was too "Disney" and kid friendly. Star Wars has always had an edge to it, it's always had a dirty, grimy surface, and it's always had deeper themes bubbling under that surface, but at its absolute core its a rollicking escapist fantasy designed to be enjoyed by all people of all ages and walks of life. The Ewoks for some people push the series too far into "cutesy," for some it falls right in line with the series as a whole, for others it straddles that line. Still, people that don't like things, people that are for whatever reason deeply, personally offended by an innocuous element of a piece of fiction, like to express how very dissatisfied they are with that thing, and the Internet allows them the medium to do that as much and as profanely and as anonymously as they please. This is still the first hand, by the way.

The other hand is that the Minions became a freaking meme last summer, and I could honestly see that very same thing happening with the Ewoks were they to be introduced in the here and now. Which way it went would really just depend on which voice is the loudest, even if the people that loved the Ewoks and the people that hated them were equal in measure and combined still an overall minority, outranked by those that just didn't care one way or the other.

You'd also have to imagine they wouldn't be presented quite the same way, in terms of technical execution. Are they all CGI? All man-in-suit? A combination of the two? How articulate are their movements? Can they blink? How well do their mouths move? Does a thinkpiece get published accusing the Ewoks of being racist caricatures of tribal peoples? Is it widely distributed around social media? Is it taken seriously? Are the Ewoks turned into memes? How many? How popular? Is it/are they positive or negative in origin? There's a lot to consider, and much would hinge on certain things happening in a certain way at a certain time within a certain atmosphere.

Long story short, I have no clue how the Ewoks would pan out in 2016, but I've probably put way too much effort into thinking about it.

2. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    People love cuteness...even despite themselves. They key is to get the mix of cutsey and attitude right. BB-8 is cute. But he has attitude as well (ps: BB-8 is a male now right?) and Wicket was the same. He was cute, but he had attitude, too. Gidget in Gremlins was the same, as was Short Round in Indy 2.

But what people find acceptable changes. It used to be every single sitcom, and many movies in 80's and into the 90's always had wisecracking kids. This has abated a bit (thank Geebuz!)

I'm just not so sure the Ewoks as they were would work in the same way anymore. Could be wrong, though.

Darth Basin likes this.
  3. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    BB-8 works, he's cute but he wasn't taking on AT-ST's. Ewoks will work in a realistic setting in 2016.

4. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    I think it would have worked for most people better then and now if they had just made it more of a focus on capturing weapons and equipment rather than all the sticks and rocks. There is one shot that that I can think of with an Ewok with a blaster in hand and I tend to think it was added later but maybe I missed it the first few hundred times and just noticed on the blu.

I think the cutsie nature of the Ewoks is way overstated, they are pretty vicious and will eat you in a heartbeat but many focus on the package rather than the content of the characters?

5. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

Too-Gon Onbourbon wrote

I think the cutsie nature of the Ewoks is way overstated, they are pretty vicious and will eat you in a heartbeat but many focus on the package rather than the content of the characters?

It's probably the "Wicket Effect". Here you see a young Ewok that probably hasn't experienced yet his rite of passage but becomes the erroneous stereotype for all other Ewoks. ;)

My favorite Ewok still is Teebo, you look at him and know he means business, the skull of the predator on his head suggests that he probably killed that beast himself.

Sarge likes this.
  6. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

P.S.

How difficult could it be for a couple of Ewoks to remove protective stormtrooper armor?

7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It was present on the pre-special edition VHS release at least.

I think Internet tough guys like RedLetterMedia and similar would tear Ewoks to shreds these days, and a lot of people would follow suit - but just like a lot of other things that are "accepted truths" on the Internet, this would be a very loud minority. Most people would probably enjoy the Ewoks for what they are (just like they did in 1983).

8. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
  9. PHIERY

PHIERY Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    The Ewoks would be accepted nowadays, as much as a remake of 'Caravan of Courage'

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I've still got my hopes up for CoC:SE with digitally inserted Hayden Force ghost screaming NNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

You know it would have happened if Disney hadn't bought out GL. It was inevitable.

11. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    Lucas should have created a special edition of Return of the Jedi where the Ewoks were digitally replaced with Wookies. Make Endor Kashyyk.