main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would faking Thrawn's comeback again scare the Vong????

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lord_Riven, Dec 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    What do you think???

2. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

No, but it would scare me.

3. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    would not scare the vong... how would they know about thrawn???

the fact that i know it would be ton terribly does scare me however...

4. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    How could they know about Thrawn? Nom Anor would have told them about him. He was certainly around long enough to learn about he he was. And he was around during the Return of Thrawn scare. Plus Obrai-ska(spelling please) would have had much info concerning him that they would have gotten their hands on when they took the library planet.

But the Vong wouldn't be afraid of Thrawn. Why should they be? They really don't seem to be afraid of the Jedi. In fact there are only three things that they seem to fear, becomeing a Shamed One, Tsavong Lah and Shimra (spelling please), and their own gods. A rumor of Thrawn's return, or faking his return, would be viewed with disgust.

5. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
  6. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Thrawn's probably the reason the Vong attacked. [face_plain] Nom Anor in his search for information saw how all of the normally-strong-minded characters instantly became dumbed down, became paper tigers and rolled-over and died at the mere mention of Thrawn's name. [face_plain]

So, he reported back to his masters about how laughably weak the galaxy was and how stupid everyone becomes when faced with the mere perception of a threat.

7. darthparth

darthparth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2001
    Why do you hate Thrawn/Zahn so much Genghis?

8. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Darthparth...
    Not to side-track this discussion, but I will quickly answer your question.
    1. Thrawn - IMO he's just not a very good character. Oh sure, he's got popular support, but then again, so does heroin.
    2. Zahn - Read this thread in its entirety. The short summary answer is that IMO, by his words and actions he is not a professional nor a good Star Wars novelist. He berates his fellow SW authors, calling anyone from Kevin Anderson, Barbara Hambley, Dan Wallace, Simon Smith, Eric Trautmann and Abel Pena "liars and connivers" for suggesting that his own wholly unoriginal characters aren't the only ones of their kind. As of TPM, he has essentially admitted that his view of the Force is completely wrong.

9. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

A rumor of Thrawn's return, or faking his return, would be viewed with disgust.

"What do they take us for, morons? BOMB THEM!" :)

In addition to what Knight and Genghis posted, I'd like to point out that I felt next zero menace from Thrawn, none, zero, zip. Compared to Shedao Shai (scary) or Ysane Isard (scary & creepy), he's a wet noodle. Compared to these two, Thrawn is about as threatening as Milhouse Van Houten.

10. DRK_HLMT

DRK_HLMT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    I'd have to agree with most of the posts on here. Although Thrawn was a good character during his time with the Empire, for him to come back (or faking his comeback) would not deter the YV in any way. They have already taken most of the systems and even IF Thrawn were to suddenly appear, it would take him years to get rid of the YV threat. He would also not have the firepower to deal with them since over half of the NR fleet has been destroyed and the Imperial Remnant is just a shell with a mothball fleet. So I would have to say no that Thrwan would make no difference whatsoever in defeating the YV.

11. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Now, Daala, however... :eek: :D

12. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Oh, God, not Daala !!! :eek:

13. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    I agree, Daala would scare the Vong.

She'd probably destroy their whole fleet in another attempt to wipe out the NR ... even though there is nothing left to wipe out now.

14. mena_lyn

mena_lyn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 2001
    Yeah, Daala could take out the Vong, but she'd also take out the NR and the rest of the galaxy with her...so what's the point? :D

15. Altima

Altima Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 20, 2001
    That's like asking "would Julius Caesar's return scare the Iraqis?" <=)

16. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Haha...I dont think that the Vong would give a rats @$$ if Thrawn "came back." They'd just say "another infidel ready to feel the glory and death of our talons" or something like that, and just go on taking over the galaxy as they were. And while we are on the subject, DEAD PEOPLE SHOULD STAY DEAD.

They really should.

17. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    No, but it would scare me.

Kier,
    why do we share the same brain? That's exactly what I was going to say. Lucky I scrolled first. LOL! I agree.

18. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Nope, like Genghis, we just have some sense of quality. :)

19. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    Daala :_|

Just the name makes me laugh

20. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Now while I tend to defend Daala, in this case I'd have to say that the Vong would actually laugh if faced with her. Her tactics tended to be outdated, and she displayed little willingness to learn about the changes that had come about since being made the commander of Maw Instillation's garrison. If she had taken the time to study the changes that had occured, she then could have used the tactics she already knew as a basis for the creation of new tactics which may have proven more effective. The Vong would see her as living in the past and not able to change her way of mind. Against Ackbar, that proved deadly enough. Against the Vong.....

21. Orione

Orione Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2001
    Grand Admiral Thrawn returns victorious!!!!!

The Vong crumble at his feet!!!!!

The Galaxy is restored to peace and order!!!! Brotherhood of Man!!!!!

The Empire rises from its dead ashes!!!!!

Grand Admiral Thrawn returns victorious!!!!!

But he dies!!!!!

22. Crimson-Larko

Crimson-Larko Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2001
    No, but it would scare the hell out of me! [face_plain]

23. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Despite differing reasoning, I am sure even Genghis would agree, to bring back even the topic or concept of Thrawn would be to detract from his character. It would be a cop-out by the author/publisher in question, and a simple re-hash of old material.

Let the classics of EU rest in peace.

24. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    All Thrawn-issues aside, I agree with PoT 100% on his return after TTT. (But of course, everything he stated regarding lack of originality on the part of the author/publisher, copping-out and rehashing also applies to HoT as well).

25. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

It's not that I dislike Thrawn and wouldn't want to see him return...okay, it is, but it's already been done. Does anyone want to see another kidnap the kid(s) book? Another super weapon? Another 'I don't know how to write Jedi' Zahn-book? I'm betting not. So bringing blue boy back would be just as bad and unoriginal as the others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.