main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would faking Thrawn's comeback again scare the Vong????

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lord_Riven, Dec 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I don't think it would. In the NJO timeline it's about twenty years passed the time of where Thrawn was in any novel series. When the real Thrawn was in the books, Leia was pregnant with Jaina and Jacen. Presently in the NJO books the twins will be about twenty-years-old. I don't see how the Vong would feel threatened by a dead Imperial Grand Admiral. They're way to smart to fall for a trick like that.

2. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I believe that the start of SbS says that Jaina is now 19, which means that the twins were 17 when the NJO began. Which would also mean Anakin is about 17/18 now.

3. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Regarding the argument that Zahn complained at other authors for making it so Mara wasn't the only Emperor's Hand - I don't quite follow. In 'Dark Force Rising', Zahn has Thrawn warn MJ that she wasn't the Emperor's only Hand...

4. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    I liked Daalas character, but the point of her was that she was outdated. Shed be a good Admiral, a GREAT Admiral of a SD, but not of a fleet.

"As a respected and influential poster here, his anti-Zahn bias could lead a newbie to pass up the trilogy and duology."

And? Could say the same about people who bash KJA(Zahn has critics, KJA has bashers ;) ). Barbera Hambley hardly gets good press round here. What about them?

Regarding the argument that Zahn complained at other authors for making it so Mara wasn't the only Emperor's Hand - I don't quite follow. In 'Dark Force Rising', Zahn has Thrawn warn MJ that she wasn't the Emperor's only Hand...

There is a Mara Jade website somewhere, where they got an interview with Zahn. He said that Thrawn wasnt telling the truth, and that anyone who says he wasnt is a liar or wrong (something like that). Considering, as Genghis said, there was another Emperors Hand-esque character BEFORE Mara, I find this to be quite insulting and arrogant.

BTW, Im not Genghis ;)

5. kz1000_jay

kz1000_jay Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2001
    Reaper, I agree about author-bashing. You won't see any of it from me. There are some authors whose work I really enjoy, and I have and will continue to rise to their defense when I see them being bashed. Kathy Typers and Timothy Zahn are the two I have I weighed in on. I read the "Why has Zahn fallen out of favor" thread last night (which is why I slept so late this morning, LOL). Almost a year ago, and the bashing continues.

6. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Im reading that right now :)

Wanted to reply, but the comment was only on page 11, a whole nine months ago :)

If it was something valid Id say it, but it was just pointing out someone who said Genghis and another were on a "personal crusade to slander and bash Timothy Zahn" seemed to be on a personal crusade to slander and bash them. Not needed, is it? :) If I get anything constructive, I will post though, its a good thread.

I will admit, I do sometims sound like a Zahn basher, but Im not. Ive liked his short stories, just not his novels. There is no author that has done a turly awful piece of work with no plus points. Hambley wrote R2 and 3P0 the best, IMO, she had a few very funny parts and I really feel her only prolem was her writing didnt feel like SW. My only problem with Stackpole really is Corran.

I have more issues with Zahn than any other author, and I pray he doesnt write another, but Id never try to put anyone off his work.

7. kz1000_jay

Nov 11, 2001
    It took me a long time to read all the messages in the thread. Looks like things were starting to get warm, but then a mod stepped in, and then people chilled out. Guess people sometimes forget they're arguing over fictional characters in a fantasy universe. Pretty mild stuff compared to some of the motorcycle forums I've visited, where too often it's flamethrowers at 20 paces, and names are called, threats are made. But some bikers are less than... er, cerebral, LOL. I think all authors deserve a fair shake. People should read their work, and then make up their minds for themselves.

8. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    If looking in the mirror don't scare the Vong, nothing will!

9. kz1000_jay

Nov 11, 2001
    Reaper, I'm trying to find the MJ website you mentioned that's supposed to have that TZ interview. I've checked out about 20 pages of them so far, and can't find where he says what he's rumored to have said. But, hey, if it was on the internet, it HAS to be true, right? LOL! Can't find where TZ says what Genghis insists that he said (calling other EU authors "liars and conivers") either. Oh well, just 20,000 more sites to check. It'll have to wait for tonight though; it's time to go to work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.