main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Would George Lucas ever consider buying back his company?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by QuiWanKenJin, Jan 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005
    Given what George Lucas has stated after seeing the Force Awakens, that he sold his kids to "the white slavers." Did you think if future Star Wars projects further enrage him, he might actually consider getting the money and buying back Lucasfilm? Or do you think he will just ignore it from here on out?

2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    No he won't, he said he didn't want to make these movie at his age if I remember correctly.
    Sequel Trilogy Special Editions coming up..

3. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I don't think he can afford it.

4. Sable de luz

Sable de luz Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    he doesnt have enough money to do it.

Disney will market this into a monster

Heroic BB-8 likes this.
  5. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    i don't think it's for sale.

11-4D, Ghost, MeBeJedi and 4 others like this.
  6. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    First of all, Disney is not going to ever let SW go cause they dont want competition.

Second, Lucas sold it cause he is old and he wanted to keep all the people in his companies working.
    He probably has some clause that states that none of the people working in all the Lucas companies can be fired.

Third, if Disney is going to sell SW, i dont think he can come up with the cash. Which now after the BO intake of this movie is going to be a bit higher than the original selling price.

7. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    The SW property is worth so much more now than the $4 billion he sold it for. There's no way in the world even if he wanted to. Let's not forget though, he is one of Disney's largest shareholders.

8. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I've been saving my money to buy it one day!! :D
    So far I got $500 saved.. Almost there.:cool:

9. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Well, you can't buy what's not for sale.

10. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    Hard to sell something, give away the money from it, and then buy it back, especially when you are talking about life's work.

11. WickerMan22

WickerMan22 Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2015
    Yep, no way is Disney letting this go. Star Wars is exactly the type of property/franchise a corporation like Disney dreams to have. Worldwide appeal, decades of success, limitless future opportunity, massive, year-round merchandising tie-ins and licensing. It's an absolute gold mine and $4 billion was an absolute steal.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  12. Delta-7

Delta-7 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 24, 2002
    Also I am pretty sure he made those "White Slaver" comments before he actually saw the movie.

Artoo-Dion and hippie1kenobi like this.
  13. relapse5127

relapse5127 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    It will never happen.

Disney will never sell Star Wars as it's a license to print money and if TFA is anything to go by Star Wars is in a much better place now that it was during the late 90s early 2000s.

14. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005

Disney dissolved Lucasarts, and cut its employees loose. :rolleyes:

15. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Lucas will happily keep diving into his Scrooge McDuck vault of cash every single night. He's beyond happy, regardless of what he may say publicly.

MeBeJedi likes this.
  16. Gordonai

Gordonai Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 26, 2014
    After the passing of Walt Disney himself, the creative quality of Disney took a nosedive and stayed on the bottom for donkeys years. The just kept on churning out kiddie garbage that was rarely popular and never of high quality. They had to really she'll out to attract any major talent to work for them and no big name director could be persuaded to stay.

In the 90's they remembered that they used to be really good at feature length cartoons and resurrected that division. It was a huge critical and commercial success. They soon ran out of distinctive stories though and were overtaken by a new type of cartoon Shrek/Toy Story, that they couldn't do.

They've finally got something worthwhile, Star Wars,but even with the 1st film it's low artistic quality means it's no better than all the super hero movies about. In their greed and impatience they didn't permit time for creativity and genius to flourish in the new SW. Ultimately, it will be seen as a wasted opportunity.

ThisHurricane likes this.
  17. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    Disney owns Pixar.

Brybe_Daker likes this.
  18. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

He actually said that BEFORE he saw the movie. And no. He has said in his clarification that he is delighted with Disney's direction.

ShaneP likes this.
  19. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

That interview was recorded before he had watched TFA. ;) He's watched it since and he likes it.

There is zero chance he buys back,not "his" company, but buys Disney's company.

Zero. He entrusted Disney because he knows they will take care of all of his former properties and they have/will.

20. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    1. George Lucas is 70

2. He could never afford to buy back his own company. They would ask for significantly more than he sold it for (esp after the TFA release)

ShaneP likes this.
  21. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    You know they distributed Pixar's early films and now they OWN Pixar, right?

MeBeJedi likes this.
  22. JayDubya

JayDubya Jedi Master

Dec 30, 2006
    Sold for $4bn and TFA alone on it's way to earning $1bn. Not likely Disney would even sell it. Having said that as part of the sale didn't George become something like the 4th largest single shareholder of Disney. So technically..........

23. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Which is probably why we're seeing so many damned Pixar sequels now.

24. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    A film like Inside Out makes up for a lot of sins. If sequels allow them to produce something like that every few years, I'm fine with it. And Toy Story 3 was pretty great to me.

Artoo-Dion , Darth Doop and ShaneP like this.
  25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

I'm not sure what George's rank in shareholders is, but yes, he is a substantial shareholder of WDC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.