main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Would Han have left Luke behind?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Obi-John Kenobi, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I always wonder if Luke didn't obey Ben's impassioned "Run Luke Run!", would Han have left him behind on the Death Star?

It also gives me pause that in the "Space Slug", Han doesn't even make sure Leia's on board before he rushes in!

Contrast that with Lando, who forcibly drags Leia to the Falcon (when she gets caught up in the moment as Luke did in ANH) and doesn't board it himself until she's on board.

So I guess the question is, Is Han really that callus as to the safety of Luke & Leia?

2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    In the ANH radio adaptation, there's a scene on the Death Star where Han actually asks Chewie about just going back to the Falcon and getting the blazes out of there and forget Ben, Luke and the droids. Chewie is not receptive to the idea, and, as I recall, it's pretty clear that Han is desperately trying to convince himself to do something that he'd never, ever do. It fits into writer Brian Daley's portrayal of Han as a lapsed idealist who's far more heroic, and far less self-centered, than he thinks he is.

No, Han wouldn't have left him. He'd think he was a total idiot for it, but he'd wait for them to get safely aboard.

3. PHIERY

PHIERY Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    I don't think Han would've left him there.
    If he did, he would only do it because he wanted Lukes share in the reward of rescuing the Princess :p

4. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Id like to think not...but at that point in the films, Han Solo is clearly a "me first" kind of guy so doing this would go along with his character. So, geez, maybe so?

Just watched A New Hope too - getting ready for TFA obviously so we are watching them all again :)

enigmaticjedi and PHIERY like this.
  5. PHIERY

PHIERY Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    Where I am in the world, it's just ticked over into December 1st.... This year December means Star Wars baby [face_party]
    Forget Christmas, Boxing day and NYE :p

6. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Han Solo is an ******* who's been cursed with a powerful conscience.

ZodaEX likes this.
  7. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    It is a good question. At this point, Han is just starting to change from a selfish smuggler. Thus, he could have left Luke behind. Conversely, Han selflessly risked his safety when he returned to help Luke and Leia destroy the Death Star.

It depends on whether you think Han changed morally between escaping the Death Star and destroying the Death Star

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Why would he? He needs to fire up the Falcon, and Leia is more than capable of taking care of herself.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Indeed.

I'm trying to figure out why Han was responsible for Luke and Leia's safety in the first place.

10. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Well, I just finished reading the novelization of ANH, The Princess, The Farm Boy, and the Scoundrel and if that's anything to go by, I don't think Han would've left them behind. The book really expands on his internal conflicts about helping Luke and Leia, as well as joining the Rebellion.

Now, before reading the book, and only going off of the movie, I'd say Han abandoning them would definitely be a possibility.

11. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I guess it just depends on the context. In ANH, it's clear that Han's all about numero uno, himself, and everyone else should just stay out of his way or do what he says. So let's analyze this scene from his perspective.

Leia is the leader of the Rebellion, and he knows there is a reward waiting for him when he gives her to the Rebellion. A reward that'll save his neck from Jabba the Hutt. She has to stay alive.

Luke, the stupid farm boy that he is, is just standing there shooting at Stormtroopers and Darth Vader. If he dies, it would be of no consequence.

Chewie's inside the ship tending to the controls and he's probably the only other person in the galaxy Han cared about for more than a walking-ticket-to-not-being-killed-by-Jabba.

Since Leia is right there screaming at Luke to move his ass, and she's basically his ticket to said reward that'll save his neck, it'd be foolish of him to anger her. If he were smart enough, he'd think, "Well, she seems to get along well with that kid...better not piss her off or she won't give me that reward..." If he took off and left Luke, I don't think Leia would be of a mind to give him the reward. From that perspective, I don't think he would've left Luke.

ZodaEX and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  12. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Han wouldn't have left him--even then. Oh, he would've cursed a blue streak and threatened death while waiting for him, but he would have indeed waited. He wouldn't have been able to help himself.