main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would it be cool if Games workshop made a star wars game?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Darth_Zandalor, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Hey there. I'm not really a fan of star war miniatures, but if there was a miniatures game made by games workshop, I'd be so into it.

For those of you who don't know, Games workshop is the company responsible for warhammer and warhammer 40000. If you know what i'm talking about, you can see why this would be epic.

Thoughts anyone?

2. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I could see some merrit to that.
    What you could do is make your own rule set and use either WEG or WotC minis.
    When WotC first put out 3rd ed, they also put out a line of Pewter minis. Might be worth looking into.

3. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Why would that be any different than the current miniatures game though? There are tons of figures out now and if you don't like the rules you can always change them. I have a feeling that Games Workshop would end up charging and arm and a leg for the game and pieces.

4. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Given GW's current pricing which is continually on the rise and various other prospects of milking their customers dry, I don't think there's enough of a hardcore Star Wars specific community that would be worth it for them. Those that would be interested are already likely their customers.

5. buellsmith

buellsmith Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2009
    you could just mod the rules for mass combat. I have been trying to put together some rules based from different sources in order to do a mass combat, like a clone wars battle or the battle of hoth, without having to activate only two figures at a time and moving troops in squads. ITs a on and off project i have been mulling around in my head and on paper for a few years. I know that there exists a d6 mass combat system and a whole slew of independent rules out there you could steal from.

break out the clone troops and the separtists miniature and have a Grand war.

I also think it would be cool if there was a starship miniature game, that was better then the current incarnation from wot, i love the little ships, but the rules are kind of lacking for that kind of game.

6. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Capital ship mass combat? I think it's called "Star Fleet Battles". Oh, yeah, that's Star Trek ships. You'd have to build your own ship damage charts. Not impossible, but time consuming.

7. buellsmith

buellsmith Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2009
    I found a rules set online which might work, its generic enough that it could be customized to star wars.

8. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    If I had unlimited funds and Games Workshop put out a Star Wars line, I'd be so into it. As it is, they charge you as if their pieces were made of silver instead of plastic.

I've had to curb my gaming significantly due to the expense.

9. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    I want Games Workshop to make a Star Wars game, but not a Warhammer clone.

I love the (now non-games workshop) game Talisman, and would love a Star Wars version of that.

10. RaienKeth

RaienKeth Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2009
    I think it would be possible for them to create a reasonably successful version but then like others, I feel their customer base would be those they are already selling to initially, though this hasn?t stopped them being successful with new product lines before!

If somehow they got a starwars line into other shops, which would be probably much easier with the starwars franchise, then yes it would be a big hit.

11. Corpseslayer

Corpseslayer Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2009
    YES!!!

I've collected some LOTR figures, and I love those games (both of the LOTR games)! That would be great of they made the game like that! Also, it probably wouldn't cost any more money than LOTR.

12. cwquest1

cwquest1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2008
    for a starwars 40K crossover check out these bad boys:

http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11873&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=100

13. Gamer_4_life

Gamer_4_life Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2009

Not too too interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.