main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would it be legal.......

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Benny_Blanco, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benny_Blanco

Benny_Blanco Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002

....to possess a fully-working lightsaber?

2. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    If such a thing existed, you'd definitely need some kind of weapons license, like you would if you owned a broadsword or anything.

3. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    The total destruction that thing could cause, I probably doubt it would be legal.

I think they did make something like a lightsaber some time ago, but they couldn't stop the beam.

4. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I will make it legal.

(C'mon, someone had to say it.)

Rick McCallum loves you!

5. RODIMUS-PRIME

RODIMUS-PRIME Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2003
    Unfortuantely, the very first thing that would happen, if an actual working light-saber is created, the military of whatever country it was developed in would exploit it, and the spies from all the other countries would try to steal its plans.

Roddy

6. Benny_Blanco

Jul 21, 2002

Yeah a friend of mine was doing physics at uni, and I asked him if it would be possible to MAKE a lightsaber. He explained some stuff(that I didn`t really understand), but he said it WOULD be hypothetically possible to make one, except the beam would go on forever! So i THEN had the idea that you could make it so each side wasn`t exactly parallel but kind of sloped in towards each other, so they met in a point....

Oh dear..I think 2 much about this kind of stuff, huh?

7. Benny_Blanco

Jul 21, 2002

So would the army use them? Or regular policemen? Maybe `elite` forces, like the SAS or Navy Seals!!

8. DarthZchour

DarthZchour Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2002
    But keep in mind it's a close range weapon. People couild never deflect bullets spraying them from an automatic rifle. The military would not likely use it as their primary weapon.

On the other hand it would come in real handy on construction sites, operating rooms and S&M sluthouses.

9. Benny_Blanco

Jul 21, 2002

Why couldn`t you deflect bullets with it?

10. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    I think they did make something like a lightsaber some time ago, but they couldn't stop the beam.

Yea its called a laser. :D

11. DarthZchour

DarthZchour Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2002
    Because bullets don't ricochet off of concentrated beams of light. Maybe one or two will melt, but out of the 50 or 100 or so others that are rippin' in from a dozen MP5's, 40 or 45 will likely cause you to spring a few dozen leaks.

12. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Everyone's forgetting that Lightsaber blades are not LASERs. If I'm not mistaken...one of the tech guids says its plasma suspended in a magnetic field or something.

13. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    "my lord is this legal??"

This is so funny. Taking apart the fact that it's impossible with our current technology. Why would someone want to develop such a weapon?. It will be like piting a bunch of Samurai warriors against a well armed platoon of Rangers, who do you think will win?

The only reason a LS is an effective weapon is that Jedis have a thing called THE FORCE that let's them see the future and react B4 things happen, so they can dodge blaster fire or block it.

Now to the legal aspects. I think in many countries it's not illegal to have a machete, granted this can't melt blast doors but it can still do quite a bit of damage to flesh.

14. Greesha

Greesha Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    Hmm, interesting idea! [evilgrin]

15. Phantom-Iam

Phantom-Iam Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2002
    If it existed, I wouldn't care. And I wouldn't care how much it cost I would get one.

16. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    OF course I would try to get one. But I magine I'll probably chop my legs off the first day.

Hopefuly by the time they develop LS, Vader's suits and implants will be sold at your corner drugstore ;)

17. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    Would it be legal...

The Weenie will MAKE it legal.

18. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I'd love to own a lightaber, but I doubt it would be legal in most places. And yes, it only works really well if you can also use the Force. Which would be so cool ... but unfortunately, not possible.

19. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    The day they make a fully-working lightsaber is the day they create a real-life Death Star...

*suddenly Earth is destroyed by a Death Star laser beam*

Ummmmmmm.... :(

:p

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

20. Benny_Blanco

Jul 21, 2002

But Death Stars ARE real....aren`t they..?

21. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I doubt lightsabers would be legal to the generally public. SW freaks would be too tempted to use them against somebody else.

22. Benny_Blanco

Jul 21, 2002

Ok, ok, how about...the `elite` forces of whichever country (SAS, Delta Force, Green Berets, etc) are also give FORCE-training,along with all their other special training...THEN would they use lightsabers in combat? If these lightsabers WERE able to deflect bullets?

GOD this is getting weird!!!!

23. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    George Bush: Saddam Hussein and da Iraqians are producing Star Wars lightsticks and Kill Moons...dey must be stopped...

*lol* j/k (incase you took offense to that [face_plain] ) :p

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.