Would it have been better for FOTR if...

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Eugene_Meltsner_AIO, Sep 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Master

star 4

No big deal. We're both entitled to our opinions. ;) Thanks for the clarification.

I think I reacted to the term "modern."

Modern can simply mean in the last 50 years,
    and yet it could also be interpreted to mean since the invention of the printing press, if you're comparing eras of man's development, so it just depends on how far back you're using the term "modern."

One thing: I would consider Verne and Welles sci-fi writers of the first order,
    THE TIME MACHINE? WAR OF THE WORLDS? 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA? These surely fit the definition of science-fiction.
  2. Glockenspiel Jedi Knight

star 1
    Er if I may say, borrowing names doesn't make your story unoriginal, neither does it make it plagerisim to that extent people/writers do that nowadays all the time. Tolkien CREATED the idea of a secondary world, Tolkien didn't create the QUEST but he created the idea of a quest to destroy something instead of the usual salvation of something. He created the ring, the object as being a living thing, he created a definitive GOOD and EVIL as light and shadow. Those races are from inspirations not copied there's a difference there, regardless if any names were there they have seperate meanings. Tolkien's Elves were an original creation, his dwarves, his hobbits, were original not the same as the fairy tale little people in older myths. Herbert too borrowed a lot of stuff from Middle Eastern culture and Islam in making the Fremen, most of the names of Fremen people, places, ideas are Islamic names and concepts. But it's still original. Lucas named one of his planets after one of Tolkien's places I think it's Endor, not to mention various similar plot lines ideas from LOTR, (Kenobi's=Luke to Gandalf's=Frodo) Dune, Wizard of Oz I've heard as well as Seven Samarai and Lawrance of Arabia and old sci-fi Amazing Stories to create Star Wars. But it's still original. Point being, Tolkien's story IS original, and since there likely wouldn't be a Dune if there wasn't LOTR, IMHO it has had a MUCH higher impact on sci-fi than Dune.
  3. MexChewie Jedi Master

star 4
    Would it have been better for FOTR if...

George Lucas had directed it. ;)
    Turn about is fair play. :D
  4. Glockenspiel Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yeah right. People would have been screaming and fleeing in terror at the sight of his cute singing and dancing hobbits.

"Mommy! Make the bad hobbit stop! Waaaah!" <and this would be an adult fan>

A slapstick Gollum. Meeeeesa Want Meeeeee Precious. Hoo Boy. ;)
  5. STACY-WAN_KENOBI Jedi Knight

star 2
    Really now how can you say that LOTR would have been better had Lucas directed it? If you look at LOTR and AOTC, LOTR was directed better, more emphasis was placed on good acting than special effects. That is why more people liked LOTR than AOTC. AOTC at often times sounded kinda cue card-ish. Ewan and Chris Lee did fantastic jobs, but the other actors(esses) sounded like they were reading off cure cards, anf that made the good actors stand out and look funny. but neways thats just silly old me's input. :)
  6. Thraxwhirl Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I agree with you, STACY-WAN_KENOBI. I loved FotR(it's my favourite film ever) and I can't wait for TTT.

I think it scores over the SW PT in every respect. Most importantly, I actually give a crap whether everyone in it lives or dies.

With the exceptions of Yoda, Palpatine, Windu, Maul, R2-D2 and Dooku NO ONE in the PTs interests me remotely in anything the have to do or say. For me, both those movies just feel like they're going through the motions. It just feels I'm being told some stuff happened, a few people got a bit irate, and then Episode IV will blow your mind. Best not to watch in the order they were made, otherwise I find that after Vader dies, and Luke builds him a pyre, I can't find the motivation to go back forty(?) years to see how Anakin managed to blow up his days' equivalent of a death star by accident and enjoy a Disney ride while he was doing it, or how battling an army of Federation droids could resemble the jollity of a Keystone Cops routine.

Gimme Yavin and Hoth any day. At least these battles remind us that people are afraid when they fight for their lives and everything they believe in, and that they genuinely feel a sense of loss when their comrades die.

FotR did that too, and to suggest that Lucas would have made a better job of it than Jackson is frankly laughable.

7. Thraxwhirl Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    oOOPS. Ended up with duouble submission somehow.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.