main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would Ken (Palpatine) made a better Darth Caedus?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BROWNHORNET, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    How anyone can read those godawful Glove of Darth Vader books, and consider anything from them canon is beyond my capacity for understanding.

Never understood the need to shoehorn everything into the official continuity.

To me, there is NO Ken Palpatine. I mean, come on. The name itself is enough to make me ignore it. What's next? Bob Sidious, Darth's little brother?

Yeesh.

2. JaySkywalker01

JaySkywalker01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2005

3. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    I don't think a Sith campaign to save the endangered species of Terentatek could be all that farfetched... :p

4. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Again, there IS NO CHARACTER BY THAT NAME.

There is a guy named Ken. His father, Triclops, was created on the orders of Palpatine. None of these men have last names.

And all of them are canon.

5. DarthAdamentum

DarthAdamentum Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 28, 2008
    lets just put this topic to rest. caedus is dead.

6. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    And there is no Ken.

Palpatine or otherwise.

7. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    IMO, nobody should've been Darth Caedus, what kind of name is that for a Sith? Vader, Tyrannus, Sidious, Sion, Nihlilus, Malak, Maul, Desolus, Bane, Bandon, Krayt, Kaan, Kruhl, etc.

Most Sith names evoke a feeling of badness & evil. Caedus is like Darth Doctor or Darth Neurologist, or Darth Podiatry, since when does Jacen know anything about that? Really, they should of sent that name back & voted for another, methinks.

He should've been Darth Hasslehoff! <--scary, no?

Sorry to go off topic, I know nothing abut Ken & just needed to get that name thingy off my chest. ;)

8. DarthAdamentum

Jan 28, 2008
    I AGREE WITH YOU TOTALLY. I SAID THE SAME IN SOME OTHER TOPIC IN HERE ABOUT CAEDUS NOT BEING A BAD ASS NAME FOR A SITH LORD.

9. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    Actually even vergere teachings didnt make me see him going dark. esepcially when han said in some book he died when he came from the YV it was not understandable fo me because nobody had an issue in the NJO abiout him getting dark.I understand that it would be bad if two same named characters got dark. I think Jaina would have been more interesting cause then she be seduced by Lumiya and she wasnt knowing that much anyway. The profecy was a bit bad I think because I cant believe that the far traveled Jaacen Solo would fall for such profecy and especially Lumiya who I found rather dumb..

10. JaySkywalker01

Oct 25, 2005
    IMHO, belief in the potentium will inevitably lead to the DS. The greatest victory the devil ever had was convincing the world he didn't exist.

11. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Vergere is not a follower of the Potentium, strictly speaking.

Morrison, like I said, it's not clear that the plan was for Jacen to go dark all along.

12. JaySkywalker01

Oct 25, 2005
    I'm not aware of the subtleties between Vergere's beliefs (in the NJO) and the Potentium, but I guess I meant to say that refusing to believe in the Dark Side is the best way to fall to it. It doesn't matter if you believe it to be an actual external entity, or just a darkness within yourself, believing there is no darkness to fear will have you walking the dark path before you know it.

Of course, since we have to accept Vergere as a Sith now, her philosophy has to be seen in a different light...

13. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    We don't have to accept Vergere as a Sith, because there's no conclusive evidence she was one, merely that a number of people she's interacted with over the years were or became Sith.

14. JaySkywalker01

Oct 25, 2005
    The OS order on Korriban identified Vergere as a Sith to Alema Rar. They had no reason to lie, since they believed at that point they were going to kill her. They were also shocked to learn that Alema did NOT know that Vergere was a Sith. They provided unbiased confirmation of the Chicken's affiliation. I'm not saying I like it, but I accept the reality that we now have on her affiliation.

15. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Vergere is as likely a Sith as Jacen was redeemed in Invincible. And I think that both answers are "yes", but DR's love of ambiguity leaves things unsolved, perhaps infinitely. It's funny - in a sad way - how they can kill of major characters, but can't resolve the fate of Jacen's "soul" or the true nature of Vergere. One would think that the latter decisions would demand less courage, but it's the first one that they have the guts to do instead.

16. DarthAdamentum

Jan 28, 2008
    Vergere and Asajj and Lumiya are laughable Sith wannabes IMHO.

17. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Ken IS Ken Palpatine.

It's just nobody ever bothered to tell him that.

18. JaySkywalker01

Oct 25, 2005
    I guess it was just like no one ever telling Palpatine his FIRST name...

19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    They do not provide anything, especially because their own leader - likely the source of their information on Vergere - doesn't seem to believe that she was a Sith, and her conversations with him seem to suggest otherwise, at times.

20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The Potentium dictates that the Force is inherently good and that it is impossible to do anything evil with it. At all.

Vergere's teachings, obviously, are nothing like that in the slightest.

And it's the dark side. :p

We have to accept Vergere as a Sith, why? Well, barring the WotC article that also gave us Jacen Skywalker, at any rate. [face_whistling]

Though, yeah, in seriousness, that seems to be what LFL want... which doesn't make any sense if you take the NJO "as is". So obviously we can't take the NJO "as is" any longer. Which is a pity but we are in the post-canon world, so it's no surprise.

21. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    What they "want" has not yet been solidified in canon...we're just seeing a lot of label happy characters trying to pin her down.

We desperately need Allston to write "I, Vergere."

22. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Exactly. Palpatine has no other name; we've been told this repeatedly. If he has only one name, why would his progeny be any different?

Furthermore, while Triclops is his son from a certain point of view, he's not Palpatine's son in any traditional sense of the word. There's no reason an experiment in the creation of life would lead to Triclops inheriting Palpatine's name, if the latter even had a surname for him to inherit.

23. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    We have been told that Palpatine has no other canonical name, not that Palpatine canonically only has one name.

24. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    So Ken is not Palpatine's biological grandson.. right? :confused:

25. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    And in this moment, QuentinGeorge wins the thread. :p

Ulicus, I think the Dark Side corrupted Vergere! Intentionally! ;)

Also, on an important note:
    We do not engage in canon debates here. You are entitled to your own personal canon, but in here, canon is canon. You want to argue it, you'll get banned, so don't argue it.
    - Keralys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.