main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Would Leia move away from politics?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by KitsterAKABobaFett, Feb 13, 2013.

1. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    A lot of people seem to be assuming Leia will serve some role in the New Republic, maybe because that's the way the EU portrayed her. But what if she has moved away from politics by the start of Ep VII? It would be an understandable move, especially if it's public knowledge that she was the daughter of Darth Vader.

I personally hope she will have learned the ways of the Force, and she could actually fill the Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon mentor role of this first film in the trilogy. I think it would be cooler for Luke to be more the Yoda figure than Obi-Wan anyway, living in some remote location, to be sought out by aspiring Jedi.

Thoughts?

agentkrycek likes this.
  2. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I think anything is possible, we'll know when they make the movie. I don't believe they will think of themselves as handcuffed to anything in the EU at all, which to me is as it should be. I think the possibilities are wide open.

I think the most natural thing stemming from the films would be that she would have entered Jedi training with Luke and that her focus would be on that entirely. It was after all Luke's final directive from Yoda to pass on what he has learned. It makes more sense to me than an involvement in politics.

agentkrycek likes this.
  3. bighairedaristocrat

bighairedaristocrat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2013
    I agree. I stated a similar idea in another thread. As a practical matter, at the end of ROTJ, there are literally millions of people in the Star Wars universe who could have an active role in rebuilding the Republic and make up the Senate. Yet, there is only one other Jedi. Leia would be far more useful to the Republic if she worked alongside her brother to rebuild the Jedi Order. Unless the writers are lazy and just steal stupid ideas from the EU, i would expect that Leia would be a Jedi Master in the Sequel tirlogy. Shes daughter of Anakin Skywalker, the chosen one, who had the highest midichlorian count ever - it would be foolish of her to pursue any other course than becoming a Jedi.

agentkrycek likes this.
  4. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    I suppose that also begs the question, how will Han have spent his years after ROTJ if Leia was training to be a Jedi? That's assuming they stay together...

5. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Could she not be a Jedi AND a politician?

6. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    My preference would be that she would be focused on building the Jedi order with her brother. I think that is an undertaking that requires total dedication.

agentkrycek and Vastor like this.
  7. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    She should be a jedi master nothing more, enough of the prinsess crap [face_peace]

agentkrycek likes this.
  8. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    It would be foolish to become a Jedi if she didn't want to, as yet we have no idea.

I'd hope she sticks to politics and becomes corrupted by it. Evil Leia would be a lot more interesting. :)

lazykbys_left likes this.
  9. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    If it were a choice between the two - definitely Jedi Master. That was the direction her character was headed in ROTJ. There was absolutely nothing in the film to ever suggest she would even return to politics.

If she were to take on both roles however, then I really hope Disney completely rewrites her EU history. The very idea that Leia becomes Chief of State in her early 30s and is essentially neglected to a supporting role in the background while Luke and Han are still in the spotlight going off on adventures - then out of the blue decides she wants to be a badass Jedi Master in her 60s when at this point in the story the next generation should be taking over - is ridiculous. It really needs to be the other way around. Jedi first, politician second. Establish that she started training immediantly after ROTJ and became a full fledged Jedi Master by her 40s latest. You don't waste a Skywalker by shoving her behind a desk.

10. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    I think it's a coin toss, because in earlier drafts of ROTJ, Leia and Luke's sister were two different characters. When Lucas decided to end Star Wars with Ep VI (in the early 80's) he merged the two characters to tie up loose ends. Leia was never intended to be Luke's sister and in an early ROTJ draft, she became Queen of what was left of her people and Luke went out on his own, to later find his sister somewhere on the other side of the galaxy in the ST.

So now we have the Jedi (potential) and the politician as one character, and I'm curious how they are gonna pull it off, seeing as Leia will most likely be a supporting character in the ST.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I think we're so naturally trained to believe that Leia would definitely be a senator or politician because of what we've read in various EU stories...but I think as far as how movies work, it may actually end up working out better storywise if she was something more like a Jedi...I'm not saying it would not work if she's a senator, But I think many just naturally have a tendency to lean towards that option because of what we've read (and enjoyed) before, perhaps.

V-2 likes this.
  12. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I just wonder how much of the story preparation is dependent on the abilities of the actors. It could be like Apocalypse Now all over again. In other words, is Carrie Fisher up to being the Jedi some people expect to see?

13. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    At first Leia would be a politician involved in rebuilding the Republic and receive Jedi training from Luke on the side. At a certain point she would retire from active duty as a politician and become a Jedi. Her history in politics would complement her place as a Jedi Knight, most of what the Jedi are about is using diplomacy and Leia is already the perfect Jedi. Sometime later she would have the skills and experience as a Jedi to become a master. A Jedi isn't all about being able to kick someone's ***, she could if it came down to it, but she wouldn't go there unless someone forced her hand.

14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Well, if the Prequels tell us anything, she wouldn't be allowed to be a Jedi and Senator. So it's safe to say she'll be a Jedi, and only a Jedi.

15. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
  16. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    And we know how well the old Jedi Order worked out...

17. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I don't think the Jedi Order in this New Republic/Galactic Alliance/Whatever-it-will-be-called will be like the Old Jedi Order and allow certain freedoms for new Jedi to survive.

18. ForceJumpAnakin

ForceJumpAnakin Force Ghost star 4

Dec 24, 2006
    Leia: *waves cinnabon hair* There are no politics.

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Episode 7 will have Leia Organa Solo as the New Republic Chancellor. Mark it down, kids! Also the 2nd force-wielding chancellor in a generation, might cause a bit of a ruckus amongst the senate (assuming they fixed the place after Yoda and Sidious trashed the hell outta it.)