main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Would Lionel Richie have made a more compelling Mace Windu?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Pendulous_Dewlap, Oct 25, 2011.

1. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Jackson is at his best when his character is unhinged and screaming. Total miscast.

Huh? I guess this is an opinion that you might harbor. But since I've seen plenty of first rate performances by Jackson, when he is not "unhinged and screaming", I guess I can honestly say that I completely disagree.

I really don't understand this prevailing opinion of him. There is something narrow-minded about this view of Jackson, or perhaps the character, itself. But since I cannot do anything about it, I don't think I will allow myself to be dragged any further into this argument.

2. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 26, 2005
    I thought Samuel L. Jackson did a pretty good job. The character wasn't supposed to be outwardly emotional, or animated. He was written as a stern establishment Jedi, in a Jedi Order that had grown too detached and uncaring on a personal level. I thought Jackson did well in portraying an intimidating Master who didn't quite believe in Anakin, and was perfectly willing to put him in his place.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  3. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    I'd like to hear some of those roles you mention. Because it seems like SLJ is in virtually every movie (the first appearance I can recall is Jurassic Park although looking at his IMDB credits he pops up in films as a bit character before that) and usually he plays a strong, opinionated slightly out-of-control character. Obviously he garnered big accolades in Pulp Fiction as that launched his career and to a degree typecast him from that point onwards. But I will say SLJ is at his worst (or should I say, most timid) when playing a stoic zombie like character like Mace Windu. SLJ does not do calm and contemplative, SLJ does not do subtle emoting. SLJ gets cast in a movie because people expect his character to be a bad-ass. Fact is SLJ is not a great actor but he's good in a certain typecast role.

So if you can name some roles where SLJ has showed this great dramatic ability on the level of say, Kevin Spacey, please do I would be eager to see these films I must have missed.

4. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

Here are some performances that did not require him to be constantly screaming:

1) "Pulp Fiction"

2) "S.W.A.T."

3) "Patriot Games"

4) "Assault at West Point"

5) "Iron Man 2"

6) "Kiss of Death"

7) "Eve's Bayou"

8) "Shaft"

9) "Freedomland"

10)"Home of the Brave"

5. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    You forgot "Jurassic Park".

Hold on to your butts...

6. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

7. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Morgan Freeman or any of the other guys mentioned in the Red Letter media review, if anyone other than Jackson. Also, what does "Sam Jackson, "lacking his customary anarchic gleam", mean exactly? He was awesome in the scene where he fought the Emperor.

8. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    But imagine Mace windu singing, "Hello".:rolleyes:o_OO:)=D==(([face_chicken][face_clown][face_hypnotized][face_laugh]

9. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I think Jackson was fine in AOTC and ROTS. He seemed more stoic than stiff to me.

10. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    Samuel jackson was the right choice for mace windu.

Master Jordan likes this.