main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Would Luke even want to train others to be Jedi?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by bleed0range, May 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bleed0range

bleed0range Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 29, 2007
    I was thinking about it earlier and how everyone assumes that Luke would be trying to bring the Jedi back, mostly because that's what the EU did. But I thought more about Luke's character given what we see in the films... and I realize that he barely had any training as a Jedi in the first place. The only initial interest he has about the force is because it's exciting and it's something his father did. It's a way of living up to what his father was (when he was still good).

" I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

The only reason he really trains to become a Jedi is because Yoda and Obi-Wan need him, he is the only one left who has the potential to face Vader and defeat him since they're too old (and then of course, Obi-Wan is dead after his encounter with Vader). That's also the only initial reason he decides to train. Being that he only really learned what he needed to in order to face Vader and bring an end to him and the Emperor/Empire.

Do you think Luke, given his rudimentary knowledge of the Jedi based on what we see in the movies, would really be capable of creating a new Jedi Order? Would he even want to? Maybe he would feel that knowledge of the force is too powerful, and that it's better he not train others due to the fact that they could fall to the dark side like his father. Maybe he would want the Jedi and the force to die with him? That would be an interesting way to start Episode VII. It'd be kind of cool for him to be known throughout the galaxy as the last Jedi and others would want him to teach them but he refuses, or perhaps he tries to keep it a secret but from time to time people realize who he is. Maybe that's why Lucas said this trilogy would be filled with moral and ethical dilemmas where someone would have to pass the torch. Perhaps despite him holding back his teachings someone appears who can use the force too and Luke has to decide whether or not it's right to pass the torch on because he cannot handle the new threat alone. I think it's an interesting thought of whether or not he would want to pass on the teachings of the force and the Jedi. What do you guys think? Discuss! :p

2. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    Totally agree. In another thread I said:

I don't think Luke will have started to train anyone in the 30 years since ep6 If you think about it, it makes sense.

You see, If your father became a mass murdering dark lord of this Sith and you had a confrontation in which you almost sacrificed yourself to bring him back, would you be in a hurry to train your son or, your niece in the ways of the force, knowing there is the possibility they too could fall?

These young kids however have no fear of the dark side (yet) they've been born in a time post Sith.

3. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I believe it would be important for him to reignite the flame of the Jedi Order and he would recognize that the galaxy needed a Jedi Order to defend civilization/good people from darkness. He would be performing multiple tasks, and I probably will not think of all the possibilities, but I imagine he would be continuing his own training as a Jedi, assisting the Alliance in defeating the remaining elements of the Empire, possibly searching for other Jedi of the Old Order as well as new Jedi to train, or searching for knowledge that may have been lost in the purge. In training new Jedi, there would always be the inherent risk of failing with them, but that isn't any reason to not do so, just a reason to be careful about it.

4. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

We will see on December 18, 2015. I would think that 30 years of exploring post-ROTJ would give him the appropriate knowledge.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "You have that power, too. In time, you'll learn to use it as I have."

6. bleed0range

bleed0range Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 29, 2007
    I could see him train his sister, but I'm not so sure about strangers and creating a new Jedi Order. The only person who told him to pass on anything was Yoda and he specifically was referring to his sister.

Jobertus likes this.
  7. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Whenever he encounters a force sensitive person, he'll hand them a copy of How To Become A Jedi For Dummies and then shuffle on to whatever he was doing in the first place.

8. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I'm pretty sure Yoda would want anyone that is worthy of being trained as a Jedi to be trained. Need more than a handful of folks to create a new order.

Dak Oolron, Jobertus, Dra--- and 4 others like this.
  9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Luke revered Yoda enough that he'd do his best to follow Yoda's last command.

"Pass on what you have learned..."

Dak Oolron, Jobertus, Alexrd and 13 others like this.
  10. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The Jedi Order before Luke had a decaying code, full of baseless restrictions and many Jedi were selfish, self centered and even arrogant. If Luke wanted to carry that big burden he'd probably had to rebuild many things from scratch. Even more, dealing with many aspects of the Force seems to be delicate matters, not suitable for any Jedi (Obi Wan failed, and he was one of the powerful ones). Do it wrong and you can have a whole generation of apprentices turning to the Dark Side.

Dra--- likes this.
  11. Thomas_Skywalker

Thomas_Skywalker Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2000
    I agree with Revanfan1, Luke's love and respect for Yoda wouldn't allow him to disregard that last request.
    I do think it will be low key, starting with Leia, any Skywalker/Solo children (their choice) and perhaps an outsider or two.
    I imagine people would come to the order if their own free will (no more Infants), no more restrictions on children or spouses.
    In my head students will come to whatever planet Luke leads a quiet life on, train for a few months at a time then leave, returning in a few months or a year for more.
    A more internal, personal journey to Force mastery.

Alternatively expect your "Tatooine Jedi Academy Pyramid Playset" in 2015...

12. Indy 11

Indy 11 Jedi Padawan

Nov 4, 2012
    I think he will stay true to Yoda's dying wish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dra--- likes this.
  13. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    You can assemble a story where emo Luke refuses to teach anyone else, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. I don't want a Star Wars where Jedi are a bad thing that we're better off without. I want the galaxy to be a better place for having Jedi in it, and I think Luke should pass on what he's learned, Vader or no Vader, dark side or no dark side. Now, maybe Luke teaches a select few, and from them a dynamic evangelist emerges to be the head of the order. Luke has things to do with his life besides run a school. But I don't want any more "Jedi are bad" stuff, and I don't think that's what we'll be given.

14. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    He better be I feel cheated if I dont get lightsaber battles.

15. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    it's an interesting question. we always assumed that luke will restart the order so the jedi won't die out. the e.u. says it happens but we really don't know. if he has maybe it will be less strict allowing more spouses, families, etc.

Dra---, mes520 and ChildOfWinds like this.
  16. I know

May 4, 2014
    Agreed. The structure of the old Jedi Order was never explained to Luke and it's reasonably to expect the Emperor to have systematically destroyed all their teachings and records leaving nothing behind.

It's a difficult thing for SW fans to unlearn everything they have learnt from the EU. It will probably be easier for someone like Ardant, JJ or Kasdan who likely hasn't immersed themselves in such things.

Dra--- and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  17. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    we don't know what all yoda and obi taught luke when "we" the viewer weren't present so luke may know a bit. even so yoda may have discussed the failure of the pt jedi and their strict rules. we don't know to what extent the force ghosts of yoda, obi and ani taught luke after rotj either. or did they just disappear?

18. I know

May 4, 2014
    That's true. And I agree that thematically it would be good to explore a different structure/style of training with this new generation of Jedi. Will they skirt closer to the dark side than the old Jedi Order (just thinking of Luke force choking the Gamorrean Guards in Jabbas a Palace in ROTJ)

thejeditraitor likes this.
  19. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    but if luke or another jedi uses force choke is that inherently evil?

20. I know

May 4, 2014
    Yes, if your 10 years old and you saw Darth Vader do it.

Actually, when I was young I remember this confused me. When we first see Luke in ROTJ he's all dressed in black and starts acting like Darth Vader.

21. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    i've been looking this up and yes it is wrong for a jedi so essentially luke made a mistake. obviously i know it's a dark side power but i was wondering whether jedi could use it. but yoda says "use for knowledge and defense, never attack". so this, as well as the black clothing, was a plot tool to make the audience wonder if luke was turning evil.

what this makes me think of is how luke will train jedi. an interesting option is to mirror obi's failure to properly train anakin by having one of luke's students turn as well.

Troubled Mind and I know like this.
  22. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

I dont think 20 years is enough time for that with electronic storage and plenty of people alive when the order was active. Ideally though Yoda or Obi-wan could easily stuff the cliff notes in a journal. I mean certainly providing Luke with descriptions of known force techniques and an overview of lightsaber construction and combat techniques would be nice. No need to copy the format though when it comes to teaching or running the order. I mean surely could have grabbed some holocrons on the way out,

23. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    Oh look more pt jedi era bashing....let's just ignore that yodas jedi order kept the galaxy in a relatively peaceful state for a thousand years....let's just poo poo that feat because we thought their order wasn't as cool as Han and made for boring protagonists in a movie trilogy in some critics eyes.

A strong argument can be made that they should have followed their code more and never trained Anakin.....

Quite frankly I'm going to be irked if the ST is used as a platform to constantly say how wrong the PT was

Bob Octa and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  24. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    I picture the three ghosts there with Anakin going "Did you check out the Force choke my kid can do? Awesome!"

Yoda: "Encourage him in this, you must not."

Obi-Wan: "Yes, we must teach him--"

Anakin: "That pig guard was all like this: 'Gkk gkk mpf mpf,' and Luke was like, 'Oh, I can't hear you, can you speak up, please,' and then--"

Obi-Wan: "I think 'Gamorrean' is the more polite term, and--"

Anakin: "Oh yeah, we need to find him a girl, too. Jedi life just isn't the same when you're single."

Yoda: "A rest I need. A rest."

25. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    The way I see it, even if Luke doesn't want to train others as Jedi, he still is obligated to Yoda's last wishes.

Obi-Wan agreed to train Anakin even though he didn't want to, and that was his master's last wish. So it would make alot of sense for Luke to agree to master Yoda's last wish.

This thread is a perfect example of speculation gone too far.

Ryus, Revanfan1 and rdhight like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.