main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would Owen have ever let Luke leave the farm?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Okay, so at the time of ANH, you are given the impression the Luke was promised a year earlier he could leave the farm and follow his friends into the Rebellion ranks.

Owen, knew as well as Obi-Wan did, Luke was as capable of holding a seige on the galaxy just as or larger than Anakin did, although it doesen't seem true. We are not given the answer on what exactly Owen knows, but evidently he knows enough. He gives Luke the impression that his father died on a Spice Freighter and Old Ben was just some old "too-much-blue-milk" drunkie. But Luke is very anti-moron, althoguh he doesen't realize himself at the time.

He doesen't believe a word of it, but then, again, he doesen't know what to believe. He somehow connects the dots that the old hermit is somehow "preserving" him and his uncle is trying to prevent that. Owen knows that when the time has grown short, Obi-Wan wishes to take Luke away when the time comes to fight for the Rebellion. Owen wants the opisite of that.

When Luke wanders out in the Jundland Wastes looking for his droid, he knows that theres not only two dots he will have to connect. He is scared when Obi-Wan gives him a peice of his life. Luke finally finds his Uncle Owen and his Aunt Buru have been killed by the sake of him. If Owen could have kept Luke in his grasp, would he have ever been able to leave his home, or the planet for that matter in your opinion?

2. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I think Luke would've eventually left regardless of what Owen said.

3. WMCoolmon

WMCoolmon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    If Owen could have, yes, I think he would have.

But if the droids hadn't happened along, I think Owen would have tried to keep Anakin from leaving. But Obi-wan would have gotten Luke out somehow. He did think that Luke was the "last hope" for the galaxy.

4. J-Solo

J-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 1999
    Yeah, someday Obi-Wan would approach Luke and tell him the whole story (well, not the whole story, you know what I mean).

One other thought. There's a theory (or a fact?) that Leia was going to Tattooine to look for Obi-Wan Kenobi. If she was successfull, wouldn't they pick Luke up as well?

5. gator

gator Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2003
    I don't think Luke would've resisted the call to adventure forever. He eventually would have gone, with or without his uncle's blessing.

6. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I think Owen was (as Joel Edgerton said) "a good man" who wanted his nephew to avoid the same mistakes that Anakin did. So he felt it was his responsiblity to keep Luke on the farm, where he would live a normal life.

Depending on how much you think Owen knew about Luke's role in "the prophecy"...perhaps Obi-Wan left him with Owen under the direction that "he should stay here, no matter what" Knowing full well that when it was time for Luke to become a jedi...he would go despite Owen's resistance.

I mean, you ever wonder what Old-Ben was doing strolling around the Dune Sea when Luke got attacked by the Tuskens?

7. Salacious_B_Crumb

Salacious_B_Crumb Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 2002
    Maybe OB1 was "Force-watching" Luke and knew that he would be attacked. I refuse to believe that he was just "taking a stroll in the Dune Sea."

8. VanLiz

VanLiz Jedi Master star 1

Apr 13, 2002
    I don't think that Uncle Owen would have let Luke leave either. He would have used the same excuse every year to keep Luke from leaving because he wanted to keep Luke safe.

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Maybe OB1 was "Force-watching" Luke and knew that he would be attacked. I refuse to believe that he was just "taking a stroll in the Dune Sea."

Agreed. I think he sensed that Luke was in danger and came out to find him.

Both Obi-Wan and Owen were trying to do what they thought was best for Luke. Owen happened to be focused on Luke personally while Obi-Wan worried about Luke's role in the grand scheme of things. In any case, I think you could argue that since destiny meant for Luke to be out there changing the balance of the Force, Obi-Wan would necessarily be able to find a way to get Luke away from Owen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.