main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Det, MI Would Padme have wanted Luke to be a Jedi?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Idgie, Mar 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idgie

Idgie Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    Do you guys think that Padme would have really wanted Luke(or Leia) to be trained as a Jedi?Or just how much involvement she had in Obi-Wan and Yoda's plan for Luke?

After seeing firsthand what happens with Anakin,which for all we know,could have contributed to her early death,would she really want Luke to be possibly sent down the same path?

I also wonder if the decision to give Luke to the Lars family was her choice.I always thought it was.If that's the case,maybe it was her intentions for Luke to not get involved.(?)I think a mother's first instinct would be to protect her children,so I'm not sure if she was even aware of what Obi-Wan had in mind for Luke.Which is not to cast OW as a bad guy,because he obviously was not,no more than Bail Organa was for getting Leia involved in Imperial politics.

I can see her wanting to see the Jedi Order rebuilt,and the Empire destroyed,and wanting Luke(and Leia)to be part of that,but I'm not sure if she would have went along with the plan to have Luke kill Vader.

2. huttese1138

huttese1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    I have to believe that Lukes becoming a jedi was more powerful than Padmes will. I also believe that she would want to see her son learn the ways of the force and try to bring anakin back to the light side...assuming she is alive long enough to see anakins transformation.

3. FearAndBullets

FearAndBullets Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2001
    I agree with Huttese that Luke becoming a jedi was the will of the force and wasn't up to Padme, however...I disagree that she had enough insight to want her son to become a jedi and to bring Anakin back. I believe that giving her children up to seperate them wasn't necessarily her idea. Remember, Leia said that she remembered her mother and she was beautiful. Well why did, if Leia is talking about Padme and not her foster mom -Organa, did Padme stay with Leia and endanger her like that? Why didn't she have Luke with her? That's why I really don't think that she seperated them, but it was someone else...maybe Obi-Wan.? I seriously doubt it was up to her for Luke to become a jedi.

4. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    I always thought it was Ben's decision to place Luke with the Lars and Leia with the Oragana's.

I think that Luke was taken first and that Leia did spend some time with Padme. May be Ben thought that Anakin had not crossed fully over to the dark side yet and still could be saved before he took Leia.

Remember Qui-Gon thought that Anakin was the chosen one. And Anakin had Luke and Leia and together they helped bring down the Empire.

So It was the will of the Force and I belive that Padme would not have a choice in the matter of Luke being a Jedi.

5. TheHuntressDiana

TheHuntressDiana Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2001
    The will of the Force is a strong thing and no one, even Padme, would have much say in the matter I think.

There are so many thoughts about why and how Leia & Luke were split up. Not to mention who made the decision of who went where.

I'm kind of curious...to know if Bail Organa might have married Padme to give Leia his name and thus protect her perhaps? Or maybe he just passed Leia off as a child of a sister or a brother...and then adopted her.

I also find it fascinating that Leia grew up and interacted with the rest of the Republic...right under the noses of Palpatine & Vader, and they never realized who she really was. While on the opposite end of the spectrum, Luke grew up on the outter rim, with the Skywalker name and probably would've gone unnoticed until he enrolled in the Imperial Academy.

Man...I'm rambling again... ;)

6. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi

Scooby_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2002
    Can we assume that Padme ends up dead? She may well have been hidden away along with Luke and Leia. After all, Anakin does not know about them, so obviously, she gave birth to them without his knowledge. Or, does he know that Padme is pregnant and something happens to make Anakin think they are dead and push him over to the dark side?

7. poweranger

poweranger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2002
    without more background on padme, even with the expanded universe, i dont know... i'm pretty sure she would want them both to be involved in the world(s) around them by being politically aware;

but to what degree? its too soon to say yet without episodes two and three to consider...i could argue NO when i recall that she was very much anti-war, so raising her son to be a warrior wouldnt make much sense. i could also mention the fact that she proved to be a very 'hands on person' so i dont think she would favor being seperated from luke so early in childhood.[he is too old for training! ep one and five]

but at the same time i could say YES because of the example she had in Qui Gon. he proved to her how a warrior could be a peacemaker, even though their personalities clashed at first. what she viewed as reckless, proved to be a simple dedication to protecting those in his charge. by his willingness to put his life on the line for a planet that wasnt even his homeworld and the gernerosity he showed anakin and jar jar, i'd like to think that made a lasting impression on her.

i feel she would hope that her son would grow up to be someone like Qui Gon, with those same qualities...she might even view luke's being force sensitive as a gift to be used. even as she used her talents to serve Naboo.

as for the comments about the will of the force, dont forget that neither luke or leia are curcial in the story, except to turn their father to the light side...if anakin IS the chosen one he WOULD restore balance to the force with or without his kids being involved why?? duh, thats what the chosen one WILL do why?? because it is the will of the force for the chosen one to restore balance!

8. Idgie

Mar 17, 2001
    Funny thing about prophecies:they tell you what will happen,but not how it will happen.The prophecy says that the chosen one will restore balance to the Force,but it doesn't say that before doing this,the Chosen one will abandon the Jedi Order,be seduced by the dark side,and be at least partially reponsible for plunging the galaxy into the worst darkness imaginable.Some feel that going darkside was Anakin's destiny,others disagree.

It is difficult to say what Padme would have wanted for Luke.Based on what we've seen so far,her dedication to duty would most likely say that yes,she would want Luke to become a Jedi.I just don't think that she would have went along with any plan to have Luke kill Vader.

Powerranger-It was interesting that you brought up Qui-Gon because I've always thought there were similarities between him and Luke as well.I think that Qui-Gon and Luke are the saga's best examples of `balanced' Jedi.By balanced,I mean that yes,they are in service of the will of the Force,but they also allow for their own emotions and judgement and are not restricted by Jedi dogma.Ironically,it's these two Jedi who end up doing the most good in the story.

9. Jedi_Knight_Fisto

Jedi_Knight_Fisto Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2002
    About Anakin/Vader being the choosen one, well, he does bring balance to the force in episode 6 when he kills Palpatine and turns back to the light side. I also belive it was probably Obi-Wan that didn't want Luke to get involved. Remember in A New Hope when Obi Wan tells Luke that Vader helped the Emperor hunt down and destroy the Jedi. Well, I think that Obi-Wan and Yoda go into hiding (thats why Yoda's on Dagobah and Obi-Wan is known as Ben on Tatooine) and they don't want Luke to get involved because then the emporer and vader would hunt him down. I also think that Padmé dies either an early death after having luke and liea or agrees to "not letting Luke get involved," let's Luke go to Tatooine with Obi-Wan, and Obi-Wan chooses the Lars as the person Luke lives with. I am 100% positive that with episodes 2 and 3 this question will be answered though.

10. huttese1138

huttese1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    To remember an emotion like being sad, Leia would have to of been around her mother for a couple of years...ruling out the possibility of an early death for Padme. I can't remember my mothers emotions yesterday, let alone when I was two or three.

11. Idgie

Mar 17, 2001
    Obi-Wan-"...your father's lightsaber.He wanted you to have this when you were old enough..."

"...I need your help,Luke.She needs your help..."

"...you must learn the ways of the Force,Luke,if you are to come with me to Alderaan..."

I dunno,sounds to me like Luke "getting involved" was Obi-wan's plan all along.

12. poweranger

poweranger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2002
    the only way i can see padme supporting vader's murder would be if she shared ben's 'point of view' - that there was no other option and that the good man she loved was already dead. which is possible since anakins fall would hit her just as hard, if not harder, than obi wan.

i think luke's becoming a jedi was determined by ben getting him involved - keep in mind that ben's main reason for taking luke offplanet was to save his life. the search for the droids wouldnt have stopped until all owners were found. ben felt responsible for him(and leia) after what had happened to anakin. he didnt have to train luke on the way to alderrann but he chose to.

i also feel alderrann would have to have been padme's choice because she had opprotunity to know bail in a way that obi-wan and yoda would not.(as a queen and a senator) obi wan would then go with his gut and choose as his mentor chose before him.

if we go by expanded universe, it would be possible for leia to sense her mother's sadness in the same way the twins were connected to her, at a young age. i dont buy the idea of padme hooking up with bail after losing anakin, i just think bail as one of those guys willing to help out a friend in need. if ben hadnt trained luke, vader never would have tried hunting him down in the first place.

if gui gon hadnt pushed for anakin's training anakin might not have fallen to the dark side. in the end ben was more like qui gon than he realized. yet if ben hadnt acted when he did, i'm pretty sure leia would have ended up dead. to his credit i dont think ben planned from the start to use luke to kill his dad, it was just a matter of choosing from a short list of options(like gui gon had to on tatooine) what ben said to luke about his dad's lightsaber could have been from a certain point of view...if anakin had never gone bad; the original triology made it sound like vader didnt know about the kids at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.