main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would Palpatine Have Let Padme Stay Alive If She Had Not Died On Her Own?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by LASTJEDICHOSENONE, Aug 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LASTJEDICHOSENONE

LASTJEDICHOSENONE Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 25, 2002
    Without a doubt Palpatine would have seen her as a threat. He would have either killed her or found some clever way to use her somehow. Perhaps he might have fely he could have corrupted her, too. That also makes me wonder if he would have allowed Luke and Leia to live.

2. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Let's keep the discussion away from the manner of Padme's death. There are other threads for that.

To answer the question, no he definitely would not have let her stay alive. Padme's death severed all human ties for Anakin. It was necessary to create the needed amount of hatred and self loathing to ensure Vader would become the monster Sidious wanted him to be. There's no way that could have happened if there was a chance that Padme or the child were still alive.

3. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    No he wouldn't have let her live. He most likely would have had both her and her children killed. Or, he would have betrayed Anakin and taken one of the children for himself, and raised it as a Sith - As he presumably did with Darth Maul?

4. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Or, he would have betrayed Anakin and taken one of the children for himself, and raised it as a Sith - As he presumably did with Darth Maul?

Interesting thought, but I dont think that would have be possible or practical with Anakin alive. Anakin would have eventually sensed it, and I think Sids knows it. Now, if Anakin had died, Sids would maybe have taken both. Then had a duel to death between them around the time of ANH to keep the good one. :D

5. PadwanKayla

PadwanKayla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2005
    Padme was a goner without a doubt. Although Palpatine had tried unsuccessfully to have her killed before, he had had to try it subversively to not show his hand. Now that he was the Emperor, he could have easily found a legit reason to have her and the other senators who obviously opposed his reign disposed of ? call it treason, call it colluding with the Jedi enemy. Although if he did it openly, Anakin/Vader might have opposed it, Palpatine could have twisted the truth again with him, showing Padme plotting against him by bringing Obi-Wan to Mustafar.

6. Alex_of_Borg

Alex_of_Borg Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2003
    " you can destroy the emperor, he has foreseen it, it is your destiny" -Vader
    "the Emperor knew as I did, that if Vader were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him" -Obi Wan

Palpatine wouldn't have let Padme stay alive, he knew al along that Anakin and Amidala's children would be the end of him. that's why he was behind other plots to kill her too, but in the end he saw her as a tool to turn Anakin, perhaps keeping her alive then was his biggest mistake.

7. LadyVader60

LadyVader60 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2003
    I thought in either the novel or the comic adaptation Ani told Padme after the fall of the Jedi temple that if she didn't side with the enemy (basically the senators that later started the Rebellion) that she would be safe. Basically if she stayed "out of trouble" and was a "good wife" then Palp had indicated she was under Vader's protection and not be a traitor. Yeah, like that would have actually happened considering the characters. Although Palk was too smooth a character to just straight out have her killed himself. As long as she was useful she would have been around, and if death was planned it probably would have been planned to be useful, too, which it basically was in the plot from Palp's perspective (at least when consdering his smile when Vader screamed "no".)

8. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    I wouldn't have been surprised if he had left her alive for a significant reason: Vader's attachment to her. This attachment provided Palpatine with the chance to manipulate the young Jedi into a Sith. Palpatine would have viewed her continued presence in the life of his mechanical apprentice as a way to continually manipulate and rein Vader in. I don't think she would have been in a state to threaten the New Order. Afterall, this is the Padme that lost the will to live because her husband turned out to be something she didn't think he was. Padme in Episode III was not the same woman she had been in Episode I. She had been cowed by the turmoil of the Clone Wars. She wasn't the fighter she had once been.

For the foregoing reasons I believe that Palpatine would have left her alive and manipulated and exploited her to further his control over his apprentice.

9. LadyVader60

Jul 8, 2003
    I agree with your logic, Lord_NoONE. Padme alive would have allowed for a lasting possible source of greater manipulation for Palps. She could have been used both to control Vader, and perhaps even politically with the former Queen at least publically supporting the new goverment. By doing this it would be good PR, and would lend the Enpire's creation more legitimacy by this support by a popular VIP such as Padme. Padme dead is a finished project, no more and no less.

10. LASTJEDICHOSENONE

LASTJEDICHOSENONE Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 25, 2002
    Good point, LadyVader60!

11. THEFORCEROCKS

THEFORCEROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    For the foregoing reasons I believe that Palpatine would have left her alive and manipulated and exploited her to further his control over his apprentice.

Yeah maybe but I doubt it. Palps wants no traces of goodness left in Anakin and that means Padme has to go. I mean in ROTJ, when Vader said Ive felt him, Palps told him "Funny I have not and I want to make sure your feelings are clear on this matter Lord Vader."
    Padme would never go along with Palpatine and Palps knew it. He knew that by Anakin slaughtering the JEDI and doing other countless of evil acts that it would be enough to divide the line between Padme and Anakin.

12. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    No way. He would have wasted her. As far as the idea that he would have kept her around as a leash for Anakin, just one problem, she was against Sids idea of "peace" and Anakin would have chosen her over him. He knew this, so to keep himself alive he would have offed her.

13. quiller

quiller Jedi Master star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    I am still not totally convinced that Sidious was seriously trying to kill Padme with all the attempts on her life.. but once Anakin had turned Padme was too much a liability. In fact Padme might have been the only one able to keep Anakin from turning, yet once he turned then she really wasn't inportant anymore even to Anakin. Remeber in the film she was given the choice of joining Anakin and rulling the empire together and she told him no and almost got killed for it... She would never stand for being a puppet to either Anakin or Sidious in their new "government" so she had to go........

14. JediSF

JediSF Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Palpatine wanted to get rid of Padme throughout the OT for one reason: Padme was a stubborn idealist. She would not betray her principles, nor would she relent in seeing her principles/ideals realized.

But, that being said, I don't think that Palps would have had to kill padme had she not lost the will to live. Anakin's turn to the Dark Side ensured that his relationship to Padme was doomed. His violent act aginast her in dark rage was one of the many possible outcomes of Padme's refusal to join Anakin/Vader. She could not overlook what he had become and he was in the midst of seduction, too far gone to be reached. At that point, Padme alive would only be more fuel to Anakin's rage. She would never agree to join him and would never agree to let her children be anywhere near him. Palps wouldn't have to do anything to Padme. Under those conditions vader would either kill Padme himslef or live in the full fury of the Dark Side (if Padme were to say run and hide, etc...)

Vader was redeemed by Luke, brought back to the good side, but only after years of stewing in the dark prison of his own design. Right up until Obi-Wan shows up on the DS, Vader has no one at which he can direct his anger, despair and hatred.

In a very real way, Padme's death and Obi-Wan's victory were equally necessary to set the conditions by which Vader could be saved. He had to be alone, utterly alone and weak (GL's constant reminder that the mechanical Vader was "half" as powerful as he could have been) so the initial "ecstasy" of joining the Dark Side would subside, leaving him face to face with reality.

15. RisingForce

RisingForce Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 24, 2005
    Hi guys! Im new here and this is my first post. I have some questions regarding Palpatine knowing about Padme's pregnancy, do you guys know if there's a thread about this already? Anyway to answer the question....If padme had not died on her own, I don't think that Palpatine would've let her stay alive. It's pretty obvious that he was more than happy than she died in the end. He wanted Anakin/Vader all to himself and with Padme alive she would just be in the way.

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    We had one a while ago, but it's buried deep. Anyway, Palpatine didn't care if Padme lived or died in TPM or AOTC. He just wanted that which he needed. For if he really wanted her dead, he wouldn't have put two Jedi with her and he would've sent Jango to kill her on Naboo.

But it is in ROTS, that she becomes a liability. Fortunately for him, Palpatine knew what Anakin's worries were and it was just a matter of time.

17. Shiphunk2

Shiphunk2 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2005
    Exactly, Anakin mainly turned to the dark side to save his wife from death. He even told her that the two of them can rule the galaxy together. Sidious knew this and knew that Padme would influence Anakin and would be a threat to him. If she hadn't gone to Mustafar, Palps would have gotten rid of her some other way instead. After all, at the end of ROTS, didn't you see Sidious smiling behind Vader after he broke the bad news to him?

18. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I agree with most people here. Anakin isn't truly dead until everything he loves is gone from him. Padmé would've died someway, somehow.

19. Darth-Trepidor

Darth-Trepidor Jedi Youngling star 3

May 10, 2005
    Are Sith allowed to have attachments? Probably not...

Palpatine would have had her killed one way or another. He wouldn't be second place in Anakin's mind...

20. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Well I think that's the whole basis for the Sith ... attachments.

They are so greedy that attachments are a must to continue that greed and pride. That's what got Anakin in trouble. He was so attached to Padmé that his greed to over and he did anything to save her.

21. ChestRockwell

ChestRockwell Jedi Youngling star 2

May 9, 2004
    ANY death? Even the sarlacc pit monster??

Would of been nice if she falls in the sarlacc and then the saelacc gurgles a bit and rumbles and spits up 2 babys

22. LadyVader60

Jul 8, 2003
    As far as that smile, I had interpreted it as Palps general happiness that his entire plan for the most part had worked out. If I am remembering the novelization right, suited Vader was one of the Sith's greatest treasures, and the suite called a "magnificant jewel box, meant to protect and exhibit" this prize. Palps may have just been admiring his handiwork. Although maybe that smile is an example of my fav word from high school German class.....schadenfreude. That is supposed to loosly translate as a one word description for great pleasure/joy over another's misfortune, among other things.
    Palps was a preverbial sick puppy.[face_devil]

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Just noticed this. I don't think so. He wasn't listening to her when she begged and pleaded for him to stop. And that's before Obi-wan made his presense known. No, the only person who could've got him to stop was already dead. Shmi.

24. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    darth-sinister posted:

No, the only person who could've got him to stop was already dead. Shmi
    [hr]

Bingo! I had a similar thought a while back. She was the only person who have have listened to. He was a Momma's boy after all.

25. Darth-Trepidor

Darth-Trepidor Jedi Youngling star 3

May 10, 2005
    Little did she KNOW, but she narrowly escaped death when she left Coruscant anyway, because RIGHT at the moment her ship was lifting off, clonetroopers were assassinating senators with confiscated lightsabers to frame the Jedi... HAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.