main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would Qui-Gon join Count Dooku?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Rossa83, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    In AOTC Dooku speaks warmly of QG as a dear friend of his, and a possible ally, had Qui-Gon been alive. In this scene, as you all know, Dooku tries to make OBW join him, as QG's substitute - Dooku's closes connection to QG. Dooku obviously had great respect for his former apprentice.

The question is quite simple. We know Qui-Gon was an unorthodox Jedi. Would he possibly join Dooku, and how would that affect the situation?

Ofcourse, has this been discussed before, please do shut me down. But we need good discussions;)

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't think so. Qui-Gon might have been unorthodox but he was still a loyal Jedi and would not have joined Dooku.

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Good question Rossa!

I think it was possible, though highly unlikely.

4. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    It is hard to answer that question without knowing Dooku's real motives.

Was he just using his Sithdom as a means to an end? Or did he really buy into the whole "being evil" thing?

If Dooku really had a positive vision for the future, then Quigon might join him (although he would not become a Sith).

If Dooku really was just evil, Quigon would never join him.

whostheBossk likes this.
  5. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Dooku wasn't evil.
    It wasn't in his character.
    Just ask a Jedi Council Member.

6. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    I could see Qui-Gon leaving the Order and being disgusted with what it had become much like Dooku, however I cannot see him joining Dooku and starting a war with the Republic. Even if he didn't like the Republic he would not have gone to war, I don't think. Qui-Gon was a Jedi Master deeply in tune to the Living Force. He cherished all life and I highly doubt he would have been able to go to war over the issue. I do think that he might have retired on some planet that held his ideals like Naboo or Alderaan however.

Really interesting question. I'm looking forward to seeing other responses.

7. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I think Qui Gon would've been dissapointed with how the jedi had become more and more corrupt and involved with politics and the war. Once the clone wars surfaced, I believe Qui Gon would've peaced out. I don't think he'd join the opposing side though. I could see him confronting Dooku and trying to persuade him to leave the sith, which may or may not resulted in a super cool duel.

8. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    I'm sensing sarcasm:p

The problem is that Qui-Gon disagreed with the council, but stayed on just the same. It also seems that he was allowed to carry on with his unorthodox behaviour. Moreover, I don't think we know whether or not QG was politically active? Politics do get a severe blow in Star Wars, and Yoda, OBW and Qui-Gon - the most commendable Jedi - all stayed out of it as much as they could.

I don't think QG would join Dooku for any political ideals, it would be for something more. If Dooku could prove that the Sith existed then I can see QG following him - but not crossing the borders to the dark-side, but you never know. It would be interesting to know how alike QG and Dooku were as Jedi... we need more movies before TPM:p

whostheBossk likes this.
  9. Nichtganz

Nichtganz Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2007
    No, the blind could see that Dooku has changed.

10. Layren

Oct 28, 2003

The problem is that Qui-Gon disagreed with the council, but stayed on just the same. It also seems that he was allowed to carry on with his unorthodox behaviour.

Agreed, however, I also think part of his reasoning for staying on was for finishing training Obi-Wan and seeing him knighted. Once Obi-Wan was cut loose however, it's really hard to say if he would have stayed or not, but we never got to see that way since Anakin came into the picture and the Council's refusal to train him prompted him to be even more unorthodox and say that Obi-Wan was ready for the trials before he'd even talked to Obi-Wan about such.

I love Qui-Gon and he's my very favorite character in all the PT, but I do think he was as headstrong as he claimed Obi-wan to be and thought with his heart and not his head in some matters.

11. Nichtganz

Jul 23, 2007
    he was a good teacher and trained obi-wan well, that is significance to me, he trained an amazing apprentice and made him headstrong and a true jedi, unlike the other puddingheaded nerf-herders.

12. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    QG was rash at times, and awfully headstrong. Although the Council may have focused too much on the future, QG focused too much on the present, sometimes ignoring the future consequences. People here often say that Yoda and OBW in the OT constitute the golden mean of those opposing philosophies, and while I'm not sure about that there is some truth to it.

As the above poster noted: I too would see a confrontation between Dooku and Qui-Gon, one that could really set the emotional tone for the movies - much more so than QG's death at the hands of Maul (not going into the discussion of who's better than Maul and Dooku though:p )

whostheBossk likes this.
  13. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003

Your insight serves you well, my apprentisss.;)

Oh, what TPM could have been...:_|

Seriously.
    Qui-Gon Jinn would never willingly join Darth Tyranus. I would like to think that he would have (at the very least) sat down with him and listened to Dooku's concerns. But the minute Jinn got a whiff of Dooku's Sithiness, their time for tea would've been over.

whostheBossk likes this.
  14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Fixed. :p

Anyway, whether Qui-gon would leave the Jedi Order or not is subjective, it's a given that he wouldn't join the dark side and become a Sith. That way lay madness.

15. Layren

Oct 28, 2003

Anyway, whether Qui-gon would leave the Jedi Order or not is subjective, it's a given that he wouldn't join the dark side and become a Sith. That way lay madness.

I don't think it's just the fact that it lay madness as to the reasoning, I think it's the fact that the Sith are against every belief and ideal he's ever held as to why Qui-Gon would never join. I really don't see how Dooku justified himself in joining them to defeat them, if that were indeed his true motives. It would be nice to know what his reasonings were for joining the Sith, but I think it can be implied that he wants to defeat the Sith when he says, "What if I told you the Senate is controlled by a Dark Lord of the Sith?"

16. Nichtganz

Jul 23, 2007
    If Dooku wasn't Evil and such i feel he would join him if the threat was real and not some scheme of Sidious. Qui-Gon was a reasonable man and did not have zealous loyalties.

17. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    [face_laugh] @ Sinister.

That was almost perfect.

18. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    I agree that Qui-Gon would sit down and discuss matters with Dooku - and the duel following their, in SSS words, tea-time would be awesome and heart breaking as QG loses:_|

It always bothered me that OBW wouldn't listen and talk to Dooku - the way he went at it, he accomplished nothing.

I think we can agree that QG would never join the Sith - but I don't think we can't be sure that he wouldn't join Dooku.

As you said SSS, Massster, what TPM could've been:_|

19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    QGJ would whup Dooku, just as badly as Rob Roy would thrash Dracula. :p

20. anakinandpadmedoomed

anakinandpadmedoomed Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2007
    I think QGJ might of helped dooku,or he would of at least listened to him..then made up his own mind of what to do about it.
    I could whup dooku..he wasnt that tough IMO.I would of liked to see QGJ in AOTC..it would of been interesting.Im not really intertested in the duels..but dooku and QGJ would of been at least something to hold my attention.

21. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    QG was rash at times, and awfully headstrong. Although the Council may have focused too much on the future, QG focused too much on the present, sometimes ignoring the future consequences.

I'm not sure if I quite agree with this assessment. Qui-Gon may have been a bit rash, but I do not agree that he focused more on the present to the point of ignoring future consequences. Like the other Jedi, he believed in focusing upon the future . . . or else he would have never considered Anakin as the possible Chosen One. But as he had told Obi-Wan, he did not believe in focusing on the future "at the expense of the present".

22. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005

Your not into the duels? So, there's two of you - never more, never less:p

I also think QG would listen to Dooku, and as I said above - it always annoys me that OBW didn't. It would have more credibility if OBW was more patient, reflected more on the situation and hence may possibly have received vital information from Dooku. Don't discard things just because you think them untrue. "Assume nothing!"

23. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I wonder if Qui-Gon's ghost ever tried to contact Dooku.

whostheBossk likes this.
  24. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    I may have been rash there:p

The scene you are referring to "at the expense of the present" does tell us that QGJ focused too little on the future. OBW sensed something, elusive - but not something to be discarded. If QG had encouraged OBW to discover the mystery then things might have been different. IMHO, QG, in the case of Anakin, focused on the present at the expense of the future... In many ways, Dooku did the same. He was a political idealist, and thus might very well have joined with Sideous to achieve his goals - but in his dillusions of grandeur, or focusing too much on the present (what we humans term, short term goals;), he lost sight of possible future outcomes!

25. anakinandpadmedoomed

anakinandpadmedoomed Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2007

=D= exactly what I was trying to say..yes, he would of gotten more information from dooku at least..maybe not to join him, but to be enlighten to as what the sith were planning.i watched that scene a couple times last night and GL really made it hasty and vague.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.