main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would Qui-Gon join Count Dooku?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Rossa83, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't recall any sources that said Dooku was a Council member. There is a vaguely worded Luceno passage in LOE that talks about the "old Guard", and implies that many of them were or had been on the Council, without being specific.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    According to the official site, The New Essential Chronology, "Jedi Council: Acts Of War", and the Jedi Apprentice series as well as the Clone Wars stories, Dooku was never on the Council. So all official material, until we hear otherwise, says that he never sat on the Council.

3. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    OK, fair enough. I'll yield:)

But Sinister, have you ever used the words "I think" or "I believe" or "IMHO, IMO" in here?;)

4. Count-Tyranus

Count-Tyranus Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 7, 2005
    The Count was never on the council. The reasons have been outlined in the above posts. It boils down to the fact that Dooku was for decades at odds with the Council.

The Council is not made up of the strongest Jedi, but rather, like many organizations, those who agree with the reigning members.

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    There's other reasons, too, namely that dooku was an arrogant git who thought he was right all the time. Not a person to have on a council. :p

6. Count-Tyranus

Jul 7, 2005
    He may have been arrogant, but no more so than Mace or Yoda. Both were so arrogant that they could never conceive that the Sith could return without their knowledge, that 200 Jedi could easily walk into a trap and be annihilated, and that THE Sith lord could operate under their very noses.

Indeed, had the Council listened to Dooku in the first place, that is be active in destroying the Sith, they may have never been destroyed. Again, we see the stupidity and arrogance of the Jedi Council (treating Anakin poorly?) leading to their eventual destruction.

whostheBossk likes this.
  7. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Dooku was arrogant enough to believe that he could trust a Sith Lord. ;)

8. Count-Tyranus

Jul 7, 2005
    No one is perfect...

Dooku was a Sith, he is supposed to be arrogant, indeed he knew he was arrogant and vain.

The Jedi are supposed to be better than that though....and wiser. I guess not as they are actually quite unable to look past their own inflated egos to find the truth. I mean really, what organization allows the enemy total freedom to maneuver? How could one conceive of not hunting the Sith down once it became apparent they had returned?

They deserved to be wiped out.

9. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    We're not talking about the Jedi's arrogance, which is frankly over-exagerrated in this forum to begin with.

Dooku was an arrogant, egotistical fool far worse than anyone on the council. The man believed he could fix the galaxy's problems by conspiring with a Sith Lord. We never see any of that kind of idiotic behavior out of anyone on the Council, well, besides a certain central character. :p

10. Count-Tyranus

Jul 7, 2005
    It isn't as idiotic as one might think considering the Jedi were willing to do nothing about the failing Republic. Dooku should be credited with at least giving a damn (at least initially).

Though the road to hell is paved with good intentions...

11. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    The Jedi were willing to do nothing to save the Republic...which certainly explains why they dropped the peacekeepers-not-soldiers bit as soon as the Republic asked them to, right? :p

Yeah, Dooku was a major idiot.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The Jedi did try to do something to save the Republic, but some long haired dumbass had to go and blow that.

13. Count-Tyranus

Jul 7, 2005
    Yes, Chewbacca.

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    No, I'm talking about Anakin.

15. Count-Tyranus

Jul 7, 2005
    His hair wasn't that long, perhaps you should have said mid-length or feathered.

16. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    What he meant was still fairly obvious.

17. Avid_Prequels_Fan

Avid_Prequels_Fan Jedi Master star 2

Sep 14, 2003
    My take on this very good question is... NO WAY. Qui-gon, even though a maverick in a lot of ways, still was strongly faithful to the Jedi Order and the Jedi Council even though he disagreed with it's decisions at times.

18. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    So do you think QG would fight Dooku to the death then?

19. DarthArachnid

DarthArachnid Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 25, 2004
    Dooku, allthough pretending to be elegant and refined, was indeed an arrogant old fart. (that salto jump of the balcony, what was he thinking)
    It is quite hard to think an honorable wise Jedi like Qui Gonn was trained by this man.
    He fully got what he deserved; his own head on a silver plate that is.

20. Avid_Prequels_Fan

Sep 14, 2003
    Yeah, but he would not have liked it. Would probably have felt a lot of the same feelings as Obi-wan felt fighting Darth Vader on Mustafar.

21. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I think so. There's a reason imo that Lucas chose to have Obi-Wan echo Qui-Gon's earlier statement "I will do what I must, Obi-Wan."

22. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    I disagree with you on what that line means and I don't think that Qui-Gon would fight his teacher to the death either. In the Jedi apprentice books Qui-Gon tried time after time to save a fallen apprentice who had gone to the dark side. I think the same would be said of his master. Rather than killing him, I think he would try and get him to change his ways.

23. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    I never thought of the "I must do what I must" mirrored Qui-Gon's response to OBW. It's quite possible. I can also see Qui-Gon trying to pursuade Dooku to return to the light, but ultimately he would either realise it was futile, or he would be forced to fight by Dooku. Dooku had a "join me, or suffer the consequences" tactic. I wouldn't say "join me or die," as he obviously wanted to give OBW the chance to back down. Not a very Sith-ish move that[face_thinking]

24. Avid_Prequels_Fan

Sep 14, 2003
    So, you're saying that in a fight where Tyranus was forcing Jinn into a corner he wouldn't kill him? Or if he knew he had to kill him in order to save the galaxy that Qui-gon Jinn wouldn't kill Tyranus?

25. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Hmm...tough to say. Depends on whether or not his sense of right and wrong was like Luke's. Luke was prepared to die in ROTJ rather than kill Vader. Likewise, Obi-Wan never really attempted to kill Vader in ANH.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.