main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would Raiders be considered disrespectful of Arabs if released today?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Palpateen, Nov 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000
    I'm enjoying watching one of my all-time favorite movies on AMC tonight RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. I've watched it a million times. A classic American action film from Steven Spielberg and Lucasfilm.

Thinking about the world we live in today, the concern about terrorism from the Arab world, and the way that Arabs are presented in the film as somewhat subservient to Indy,
    would there be a controversy about the depiction of Arabs if it came out in say 2001 or 2002 instead of 1981?

For example, I don't think Arabs would be too happy about Indy blowing away the Arab swordsman, even though I think most of us regard it as a very funny, classic movie moment.

Comments?

2. JediMasterEllic_Kier

JediMasterEllic_Kier Jedi Master star 3

Nov 17, 2002
    I'm sure that someone would have a problem with it. I'm also sure that someone would claim that Indiana Jones is just another example of the big bad American's coming to the Middle East to rape and pillage their land, and take what we want.
    Rampant PC'ism must be stopped. Someday, if this continues, we won't be able to have any more fun.

3. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    If Spielberg and Lucas start to think that way, we can kiss goodbye that classic movie moment as they replace it with Indy throwing a Walkie-Talkie at the Arab guy instead of shooting him.

4. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

[face_laugh] Good line!

But somehow it just wouldn't be the same, :(

5. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    I agree with the guys above.
    People'd be complaining, but hey, they don't have to watch it.

6. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001
    Carosel, some will want to prevent others from watching it though...

7. Laserschwert

Laserschwert Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2001
    Where was that walkie-talkie scene from? I just can't remember... arrrgh... must... think... it was the "toned-down" version of a movie, that's what I remember... but.... which one???

8. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    LOL, I was going to make a similar comment jamesdrax.

Laserschwert, the walkie talkie reference is about the ET 20th Anniversary edition.

It's already staring to happen. Witness The Sum of All Fears to see how much the story was butchered to make it more PC.

9. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Forgive my ignorance, but what does PC stand for?

10. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

PC stands for Politically Correct. And, I agree, if someone doesn't like the movie, they don't have to watch it. I personally thought the scene when Indy shot the swordsman hilarious ;)

11. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Politically Correct - ie. as inoffensive to as many people as possible.

12. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Man, I swear, so many abbreviations to learn on the internet ;)

And people everywhere oppose things and try to bring them down. I don't see how an Indiana Jones flick could be brought down by the public unless the media smeared it.

13. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Some of the Arabs were mercenaries for Belloq and the Nazis but when the Nazis stole the Ark, the Arabs helped hide Indy when he got it back. There was nothing necessarally anti-Arabic about the film. Only anti-Nazi.

On a side note, Raiders of the Lost Ark is my favorite movie ever. Every actor in it was perfect, the stunts were great, the music second only to TESB. And as a small child, it taught me an important life lesson. When life sends you a submarine full of Nazis who steal your prize possession and your girl, you don't cry about it. You jump in the water and swim towards the submarine

14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    And as a small child, it taught me an important life lesson. When life sends you a submarine full of Nazis who steal your prize possession and your girl, you don't cry about it. You jump in the water and swim towards the submarine

Have you ever had the chance to put that life lesson into practice?

Perhaps figuratively, not literally...

15. Forja-Bingbey

Forja-Bingbey Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2002
    jamesdrax

If Raiders was released again today...

Indy would have turned the corner in the market to find the Arab stairing him down, and then we would have digitally pushed in on his face to see him say...

"Don't forget to log on to Amazon.com to get your copy of the 20th Anniversary Edition of E.T. today!"

;)

16. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Quote:
    "Have you ever had the chance to put that life lesson into practice?"

Well not literally. :p

But as a skinny kid growing up, who had the fortune to have some pretty attractive girlfriends, I used to have to get into some fights as you can imagine. I got my butt kicked a lot, like Indy does. But like Indy, I fought back, not caring about the consequences. That's what his character's about.

17. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    You don't hear too much about James Bond movies offending Russians so I don't anything would be made about Raiders if it was made today. Besides one of the main heros, Sallah, is an Arab so I don't think Arabs would take offence to it.

18. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    We've become too politically correct.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. Super_Nation_Jock

Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2002

Too much political correctness
    makes for bland movies where everyone
    is trying not to offend anyone's sensibilities.

20. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Actually, it was very disrespectful to Nazis!

:eek:

[face_laugh]

21. shocktrooper

shocktrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    If anyone should be annoyed it should be Blonde blue eyed people because apparently they are all Nazi's.

Personally I think we should all fight against PC values before they ruin the world.

Being taught to be respectful is one thing, being FORCED to be respectful is another which in the long run will only create a backlash from the mass of the general public that are forced to alter their language and traditions because of other peoples guilt.
    This is especially so when the Politcal Correctness is not returned from the other parties involved.

22. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Well, considering that Indy's friend Gimli, er, I mean Sallah is an Arab, I don't think they're portrayed in a negative light in Raiders.

OTOH, I have heard arguements that Temple of Doom was disrespectful against Indians (eating monkey brains and such.) I don't agree with that either.

23. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Wether the silver screen or a glowing box, its always someone else that misinterprets the picture.

Sometimes I wonder if the only reason why the planet is so at arms with each others ideals is cause each culure wishes to be the heir to God.

24. Darth_Sebastian

Darth_Sebastian Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 26, 2000
    If you want to talk about a swashbuckling throwback film that was possibly racist watch The Mummy. Everytime an arab character walked onto the screen someone commented on the smell. That's racist. Shooting a sword wielding villian that just happens to be arab is not racist.

25. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    Actually, it was very disrespectful to Nazis!

Why do I have a feeling that in 10 years, if PC keeps going the way it is, that line will be said by someone seriously. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.