main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would River Phoenix have eventually inherited the Indy role if he'd lived?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Latorski, Aug 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I'm guessing probably not but it's fun to think about.

What's happened to that other actor who played young Indy on tv? Does anyone know if he's involved in Indy 4?

2. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    That would be my guess too.

Sean Patrick Flannery, Indy on TV, continues to act but it's mostly small films or guest star in shows. He was a few seasons ago on Stargate SG-1, on an episode of the Outer Limits, and has had a recurring role in the Dead Zone TV show as a politician (the role Martin Sheen played in the movie). Probably the most high profule recent movie was leading man in Simply Irresistible with Sarah Michelle Gellar, which is not saying much.

I'm not sure if he'll return for season 3 of Dead Zone but you can still catch the repeats of the second season.

3. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    It is hard to say if River Phoenix would have continued to make such memorable projects. It is kind of like Jim Morrison or Jimi Hendrix, and other talented people ot that moment. If they died at their height of stardom who knows what their legacy would have looked like had they lived.

You can look at it forth-dimensionally and see that if the actor / artist would have lived would they have still been a bankable commodity? Sorry to put it that way, yes they are people but they work in a fickle industry. What was hot ten years age is not all the rage that it is today.

It is kind of cool that people aren't stars forever and better to remember them for their contributions to the medium that they worked in.

Just a side note, River Phoenix died almost ten years ago on the morning of Halloween. The same day that Harry Houdini died.

4. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    It's possible but they would've had to do a film that took place between Young Indy and Temple of Doom.

5. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I think Harrison Ford already said that Indy wouldn't have a son in Indy IV, but it would've been cool to see River as Indy Jr.

6. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    From where I read it one time,River Phoenix was most definitely being groomed to take over the role of Indiana Jones,no "inheriting" about it.The role was his to lose.
    You've got to remember that River Phoenix was cast as teen Indy for one reason only-He was the ONLY one who possessed the acting chops,not to mention the looks,to be able to pull off young Indy,at least for the purposes of the movie(TV show notwithstanding).

If it had just been a matter of choosing a "movie star boy" Spielberg could have had his pick of 'em.I think he may have been partially influenced by Harrison Ford,who ironically enough,once played River's father in "The Mosquito Coast".

7. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    regardless river phoenix would not have done the tv show. he was a film actor. and that was a time whe movie stars did not do tv shows. things have sort of changed now. but I don't think there would have been movies of young indy either.

that added that scene in the beginnning of last crusade because of all the lingering questions about indys past. whwere did the scar come from whay is he affraid of snakes, why the style of clothes he wares. and because it allowed for a moment to see his father at work oblivious to the wareabouts of his son and not concerned.

8. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I'm sure he would have.

9. DarthSil

DarthSil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    It would have been nice seeing River as Indy, although I get the feeling he might have passed on the whole thing. He never struck me as the type of actor interested in mega-success.

10. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Sean Patrick Flannery, Indy on TV, continues to act but it's mostly small films or guest star in shows. He was a few seasons ago on Stargate SG-1, on an episode of the Outer Limits, and has had a recurring role in the Dead Zone TV show as a politician (the role Martin Sheen played in the movie). Probably the most high profule recent movie was leading man in Simply Irresistible with Sarah Michelle Gellar, which is not saying much.

You're totally forgetting "Suicide Kings" and "The Boondock Saints". He had starring roles in both of them. Granted they WERE independent films. But are two of my favorite movies of all time.

11. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Yeah that's the problem, depending where you live some independent films might not show in your neighborhood. I've heard of Noodnuck Saints but didn't see it. But Suicide Kings I've never heard about.

Maybe now after his Dead Zone TV apperances his profile will rise again.

12. gator

gator Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2003
    Up, in honor of tonight being the 10 year anniversary of River's death

With all the Indy 4 hoopla and Ford's aging, it makes me wonder if Phoenix could have been available for possible Indy prequels (movies, not tv shows). Sad, that we'll never know.

13. Danny_Faytonni

Danny_Faytonni Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 20, 2003
    He was so talented. What a waste!!!

14. KÃ¥l

KÃ¥l Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2000
    I thought River was great as Indy. It's possible that had he agreed to the long commitment of filming The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, he would still be alive.

15. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "Up, in honor of tonight being the 10 year anniversary of River's death."

Wow, was that really ten years ago? :eek: Time flies...

"But Suicide Kings I've never heard about."

That movie is THE BOMB, especially if you like Christopher Walken. The DVD is 7 bucks at Best Buy. Go get it! ;)

kal, nice avatar. :)

16. CountDoofus

CountDoofus Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2004
    Pleeeze... They can't turn the franchise over to the kid who played "Powder".

But, by the time the fourth movie is made, Harrison Ford's gonna look like the Cryptkeeper!

Maybe George and Steven will just hand everything over to Joel Shumacher, who'll cast George Clooney as Indy and put nipples on the leather jacket and run another perfectly good series of movies into the ground.

17. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    But everybody would still watch it. I knoiw I would.

(batman and Robin is terribly underrated in my opinion, but I'll admit I've only watched it one and a half times)

18. KÃ¥l

KÃ¥l Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2000
    Well, it's underated in the sense that it certainly isn't the worst film ever made! It's not even the worst Batman movie overall (the 1966 one with Adam West is), and it's not Schwarzenegger's worst movie either (although Mr Freeze may be his worst performance).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.