main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would ROTJ have been cooler with Kashyyyk/Wookiees?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Saint_of_Killers, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    I've heard that it was originally planned for the Battle of Endor to be the Battle of Kashyyyk, with Wookiees instead of Ewoks. I think it would have been better that way. What do you think?

(forgive me if this is redundant, I don't come here often)

2. jabba_the_nut

jabba_the_nut Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2003
    This has been discussed frequently and I think I can safely say that everyone here absolutely loves ewoks and wouldn't want to change a thing about ROTJ.

Uh, right everybody? ;)

3. weezyslob

weezyslob Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Wookies rather than Ewoks? Yes.

4. gold-finger

gold-finger Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2003
    i think the ewoks sorta ruin that movie in a way. although, you wouldnt have the ewok adventures or the animated series after.

5. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    I don't necessarily think it had to be on Kashyyyk, but it DEFINITELY should have been wookiees.

And if I may be so bold, it's EU accepted that the Death Star(s) were built using Wookiee slave labor -- I think it'd have been particularly cool if Chewie led a slave revolt against their Imperial masters and had that be the ground battle in the RotJ finale.

Just my two cents.

6. Kinobe

Kinobe Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2003
    Yeah, would've been much cooler to have loads of wookies. It would probably be more believable too, huge strong wookies would be better suited to fighting StormTroopers than cuddly little teddybears ;)

7. generallee5

generallee5 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2003
    Wookies certainly would've been cool. But Its porbably tough to find around 30 7 foot tall exras. It would've been neat, but I still think the Ewoks would be better.

8. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Its good as it is (i.e Ewoks), but then it would also have been good as it could have been (i.e Wookies)

I say leave it as it is.

9. Larry_Dallas

Larry_Dallas Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2003
    Anyone who thinks it should have been wookies in ROTJ must have never seen the Star Wars Holiday Special...

10. cdillon

cdillon Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2003
    I like it with the Ewoks but the Wookies would have been cool too.

11. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I would've preferred to see Wookiees instead of Ewoks.

12. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    I say neither. Ugnaughts, yeah, definitely ugnaughts.

13. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    Larry_Dallas: I have in fact seen the Holiday Special a number of times and despite its short comings (I'm being kind) I still think wookiees in RotJ could have really brought something to the trilogy.

14. GrandMoffTarkin

GrandMoffTarkin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 22, 2001
    It would probably be more believable too, huge strong wookies would be better suited to fighting StormTroopers than cuddly little teddybears

And therein lies the point, IMO. The Empire is over-confident, yes, but not quite that foolish! You can imagine the uproar if there had been Wookiees, "Bah! What was Palpatine thinking? Building that over a planet of intelligent bigfoots/bigfeet!"

So I say yes, Wookiees would have been cooler, but would have made less sense, IMO.

15. TIE1138

TIE1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    Hmmmm, if we got Wookies in RotJ, then would we be getting Ewoks in Ep3? If that's the case, then I'm glad RotJ worked out the way it did.

16. GrandMasterJay

GrandMasterJay Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 24, 2003
    I think placing the Ewoks vs. the Storm troopers was a bit absurd in ROTJ.

They certainly made the storm troopers to look like retards who couldn't kill creatures no taller than their knees.

Wookiees in place of Ewoks?

What do you think?

ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS.... WHO'S COMING WITH ME? -Jim Breuer (Half Baked)

17. Salacious_B_Crumb

Salacious_B_Crumb Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 2002
    I think that the Ewoks show that no matter what the circumstances are (and the odds), it is always posible to succed.

SBC

18. SueAsideRide

SueAsideRide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 5, 2000
    The Wookie idea was originally conceived in the early development stages by GL (way back in the mid-70s), and it evolved over the years into the Ewoks. If he made ROTJ nowadays, CGI would make it easy to keep that idea, but as has already been stated, it would have been hard to find all those giants to play the Wookies.

Too bad. Wookies vs Stormtroopers would have been cool. I'm still okay with how the Ewoks worked out though.

And please, for the love of God, don't judge any movie decisions based on the Holiday Special.

19. the-dork-knight

the-dork-knight Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 14, 2003
    I'm personally glad it was the Ewoks. If you get past the fact that the Ewoks are teddy bears, then the battle scene really is pretty good. I've never had a problem accepting that they could win, because booby traps have a history of working against numerically and technologically superior opponents in Earth history, (Vietnam, Korea, the Phillipines). Never underestimate large numbers of beings willing to fight to the death to defend their homelands when they're on their homelands.

Now, can you imagine if it was Wookies? I don't know about you, but I don't give "an entire legion" of the Empire's best five minutes against a moon's worth of ticked off Wookies. The fight'd be over as quick as it started, and then the space battle would've been radically different. Plus, I have a hunch that, in order to make the battle last longer, Lucas would probably, instead of pumping up the Imps, would've merely spread the incompetency amongst both groups. And then we'd all be complaining about how Lucas made the Wookies too weak. ;)

20. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    I agree with the-dork-knight.

A battle between Wookies and Stormtroopers wouldn't last for 3 minutes since it'll basically be a huge massacre. Think of the scene in Beastmaster where Dar is surrounded by an army of goons and these winged monsters show up out of nowhere, wrap their wings around the goons, and proceeds to eat them alive.

Lucas knew this which is why we have the Ewoks.

21. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    lol, even though the Ewoks vs. Stormies is at first glance a funny sight

Wookies vs. Stormies would be hilarious

i say Chewie alone can take on 10 Jang...Stormies by himself, and to be honest - that's being generous to the Stormies

even if the Storms had their weapons & the wooks didn't, they wouldn't last 2 parsecs

UNLESS, they ALL came with AT-AT's Hoth-style

22. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    Wookies certainly would've been cool. But Its porbably tough to find around 30 7 foot tall exras. It would've been neat, but I still think the Ewoks would be better

I think I read somewhere that when James Cameron made "Aliens" he only had six alien costumes and filmed them in such a way that audiences were convinced there was hundreds of them. It would have been possible to make it seem like there was a planetful of wookies with just a few actors.

I would have loved watching Wookies take on Imperial Troops.

23. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    And therein lies the point, IMO. The Empire is over-confident, yes, but not quite that foolish! You can imagine the uproar if there had been Wookiees, "Bah! What was Palpatine thinking? Building that over a planet of intelligent bigfoots/bigfeet!"

Thats a really good point ;)

24. ValinFett21

ValinFett21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2003
    It would have been a more fitting end to a civil war, slaves rising up against a tyrant. Wow, it would have been awesome to see hundreds of wookies ripping apart stormtroopers. The sheer power of the scene would have been worthwhile.

25. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    Will there be an extra-special edition of ROTJ where the ewoks are replaced with CG wookiees?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.