main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would ROTS Have Been A Better Film If It Had Included More Suited Vader?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Unchained, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    PT - anakin's story
    OT - luke and his connection with vader story.

so let it be written
    so let it be done

by the guy who always stated this is the case....the maker

2. Magical_Maestro

Magical_Maestro Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 2005
    [face_laugh]

3. FRIENDOFTHEJEDI

FRIENDOFTHEJEDI Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2005
    I think it Would have been a much better episode if they ad more Darth (in suit). I mean its not like Star Wars with out Darth Vader. Because Star Wars is the story of Anakin Skywalker's/Darth Vader's life.

4. Lord-Scith

Lord-Scith Jedi Youngling

Jan 22, 2006
    I don't know what upset me more,no suited vader fighting or no red lightsaber at all.

5. SEPARATESICKLEROOK2

SEPARATESICKLEROOK2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 1, 2003
    It had just enough in my opinion. I liked seeing the unsuited Vader at work, and the ending creation was stark and tragic, the suit becoming the punishment for all time. Episode 3 really delivered in my opinion.

6. Droid

Droid Jedi Master star 1

Feb 28, 2000

I think that there was enough suited Vader. I would take more details on Anakin's downfall over more suited Vader any day.
    That being said I would be all for Lucas turning Star Wars episode 3.5: the adventures of Darth Vader into a feature film. There's more than enough untold story about the Empire and the rebel alliance to justify another film. How cool would it be to have one more film that ends with Princess Leia's ship going into orbit around Tattoine with Vader in hot pursuit?

7. KILLER-CLONE

KILLER-CLONE Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2005
    Well it was made fairly public quite early on that Vader (suited) would only appear briefly. So if you're dissappointed you've only got yourself to blame, not the film.

Personally, I was quite pleased that he took on the name Vader before he went all crispy.

8. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    They are going to make a Star Wars Live Action TV Series set inbetween ROTS and ANH focusing on minor characters from the films, EU characters, and probably completely new characters. One story rumor fron IGN is that the TV Series may focus on Imperial Bounty Hunters (most likely Boba Fett). The TV Series will probably come out in 2008. Check the links below for info on the Star Wars Live Action TV Series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_live-action_TV_series#External_links

http://starwars.wikicities.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Live-Action_TV_Series

The links below have info on the Clone Wars 3D Animated Series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Clone_Wars#3-D_run

http://starwars.wikicities.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Clone_Wars

9. MonkeytheJedi

MonkeytheJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 21, 2005
    the movie would of been better with a little more suited vader or at least anakin with a red lightsaber but i was really hoping for a battle between suited vader and mace

10. TheReturnofKardarl

TheReturnofKardarl Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2006
    Realizing that in the OT Lucas didn't have the ability to really show intense duels, it would have been really nice in ROTS to see Vader in his "prime" By that I mean in the suit, but still young and very much powerful. I know the Alec Guiness wouldn't have been able to pull off a duel like Maul, nor would that have served any purpose. (Obi -wan then being an old man at the time of ANH, much like Vader, and not having the technology to enhance characters like Christopher Lee / Dooku back then) Watching the duels in the OT and then the ones in the PT, I would have loved to see Vader really perform. I think that would have dispelled the idea that Vader was weak as some people think. Yes, he's probably weaker at first, but still very much powerful. Perhaps we could have seen him donning the red saber in a duel at the end of ROTS with say perhaps Dooku? Had Lucas kept him alive till the end of the film, the only thing left to take care of would have been Dooku. Perhaps Dooku feeling betrayed as he sat by and watching the birth of Vader, felt compelled to defend his position with Sidious, and thus offering one of the best duels of all time.
    Imagine a room showing Dooku alone looking out into space watching the construction of the Death Star. At the same time on another part of the ship, we see the Vader birth seen. However the end of that scene could have changed.....
    "Lord Vader, you have fulfilled your destiny. Your turn to the darkside is now complete. We must hunt down and destroy the remaining jedi. Find them Lord Vader.....and wipe them out.....all of them. Search your feelings and you will find only one thing stands in your way.."
    We see Vader instantly turn and exit the room, without speaking a word. (think back to the OT, "I sense something...."The camera turns back to Sidious as he watches the construction of the Death Star. From behind we see his silouette against a large window. We hear his evil laugh.....
    New Scene....in a similar room we see Dooku doing the same, watching out into space. At this point he realizes he has been betrayed by Sidious. The same music tone that played when Anakin and Padme were looking out into Courasaunt from seprate locations that reflects that feeling of impending doom. That feeling that something really bad is about to happen.
    We hear a door open. Dooku doesn't move. We hear the infamous Vader breathing. The crowd in the theatre erupts into exitement. We know whats about to go down.
    "I've been expecting you....Anakin."
    Total silence.....the camera is still on Dooku as we here Vader's sabre ignite...
    "That name no longer has any meaning for me"
    The look upon Dooku's face changes
    "And now I sense you are here to take my place along side Lord Sidious"
    Vader: "You are a fool to think otherwise"
    Dooku: "Surly you must realize that together we can destroy Sidious and can have total control over the Empire"
    Dooku turns and faces Vader realizing his now greater size....
    "My destiny lies with the Emperor. Nothing can stop that now"
    They begin to circle around each other....
    "In deed you have become a powerful Sith Lord Vader, it would be a shame to have to destroy you, but you leave me no choice"
    "If that is what you must do" (or something like that)
    Get ready.....
    Cue one of the greatest duels off all time. The one that will show all just how powerful Vader is. This duel would take a toll on Dooku like no other. Soon into the duel, we see Dooku realize that in deed Vader is now extremly powerful, and we see Dooku give him everything he's got, although it is not a one sided match, towards the end we see that Vader is unstoppable.
    Seeing a longer duel than at the beginning of ROTS, but with the same ending result, only it will be Vader holding two sabers....some dialouge is exchanged ending with
    "As you wish" That would be the last words Dooku hears before Vader be-heads him.
    Then we can see the scene where Vader takes his place along side the Emperor watching the death star. Fulfilling his destiny.
    What do you think?

11. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Would ROTS Have Been A Better Film If It Had Included More Suited Vader?

No. It's perfect the way it is. Saves up Vader in action for ANH, TESB and ROTS.

12. darthvaderv

darthvaderv Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    It was a good introduction. Could of been better like the novel with Vader bringing the place apart with rage once palps tells him about padme, but it was good enough I guess.

As a Vader fan it would of been better to see more but that's what the OT is for, I liked the way ROTS interlinked between the PT and the OT.

13. linycvoy

linycvoy Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2006
    That was ve

14. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002

Thank you!!! Sometimes I get the feeling that many of the SW fans - especially the older ones - prefer that Darth Vader had remained as he had been in ANH . . . a one-dimensional villain, instead of the complex individual that ESB, ROTJ, TPM, AOTC and ROTS had revealed him to be.

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    QFT. You want to see Vader being a badass Sith terminator running around slaughtering Rebels and Jedi? Go watch the OT.

16. Magical_Maestro

Dec 25, 2005

Yeah, and if you want to see whiny, crying, goofball Anakin, watch the PT.

17. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    A thousands times no.

18. Darth_Jaytastic

Darth_Jaytastic Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2005

Oh yeah? What movie?

ANH: Choked the soldier on the Tantive IV, killed Obi when he gave in on purpose. Thats one rebel and one old jedi who surrendered.

ESB: Killed a couple of his own men. No rebels killed, no jedi killed.

RotJ: Killed no one, but managed to get killed.

Overall, he "slaughtered" exactly one rebel and one jedi who may or may not have let him win on purpose. Yeah.

I was definately disappointed when we didnt see more suited Vader. I knew we wouldnt when I read a GL interview where he said that RotS wasnt about suited Vader running around killing stuff. So I was ready for it.

But since we really didnt get to see Vader totally rock out in the OT and he was somewhat distracted by the whole "Im supposed to find and capture/kill the only family member I have left alive and who I didnt know existed for 20-odd years". It could have been AWESOME to see Vader fight some weaker jedi, or have a monologue with Yoda or something. Just to even hear him talk more to Palps...something, ANYTHING. I mean one of the reasons everyone loved Vader from the OT is because of the way he looked...we wanted to see this! Oh well. Seeing suited Vader hunting down jedi (which is what I always imagined in my head before the OT came when Obi would talk about Vader killing jedi) would have made RotS as close to perfection as can be reached for me.

19. Magical_Maestro

Dec 25, 2005
    On the contrary - a thousand times yes. In every facet, Hayden is a microscopic imp compared to Vader. He couldn't even pronounce Padme, his own damn wife's name right. He keep saying Pad-uh-meh, Pad-uh-meh. Ridiculous. It took James Earl ******* Jones to finally enunciate it correctly. Sadly for Vader fans (the real Darth Vader) that's about all he did. Call me a "fanboy" (which based off what I've read here, I take as a huge compliment) because it means I'm a person who wanted a good film that made sense, which was true to the OT, and was teeming with excitement.

That being said, I would have LOVED to have seen Suited Vader fire up the crimson blade and go after the remaining Jedi - which now due to it's omission from ROTS, has to explained away in some ******* book. A run in with Kenobi would have been nice as well. No, actually it would have been AWESOME. There's just this misconception here by some that more suited Vader equals shallow and mindless, and more of him would have "somehow" diminished the film. Well, that just couldn't be further from the truth. See ANH, TESB, and ROTJ for references.

20. EwohEkim

EwohEkim Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2005
    The fact that we do not see Vader in his 'suit' in the last 5 minutes, is in a sense, to show how this family unit that was possibly seen as a hopeful has fallen to pieces.

Padme Dies.
    Anakin loses his humanity.
    The Twins are Separated.

It's about the disintegration of the Skywalker family we have seen. Episode 4 shows us the remnants of that family of glass shattered, and how in episodes 4-6 we begin to piece together what we can with superglue and possibly redeem it.

21. linycvoy

linycvoy Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2006
    The fact is, GL said the star wars movies arch is based around Annie/Vader (and not Luke as it would have seemed in the original). So, ok... he had THREE movies (which added up to about 6 HOURS) of film to make the transistion from boy to vader. Not for nothing, but I believe episode 1 and 2 could have been combined into one film (why not?) and then have this one be episode 2, and then have episode 3 deal with vader dealing with his mechanical shell and obiwan dealing with life on a desert and the rebels forming their own thing, and palpatine holding onto his power.

There is just sooooo much left to be done. But, Lucas decided to do things his way. Fine. BUT, just because Lucas decided to things one way does not mean it was the best option. I cant stand all of the people who bow down and say it is GL's films. As far as I am concerned it is MY films. I mean... i guess i am still venting over episode I, but errr oh well.

22. linycvoy

linycvoy Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2006
    I just thought of this: the frustrating part is that way back when I used to wonder about a great many things in the star wars lore... and now after the epic has been completed, I AM STILL WONDERING ABOUT A GREAT MANY THINGS!!

I only hope they end it here, leave the rest to our imaginations and allow us to move on... I have given way too much of my life to star wars... i need to work on u know, a job, a wife, a...life.

23. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    So let me get this question straight:

MORE SUITED VADER = Better Movie?

[b]I disagree.

Now I must admit, I hoped for a [color=crimson]red[/color] (saber for Vader) versus (Kenobi's) [color=blue]blue[/color].

And No. I don't give a [i]"rats-rear-end"[/i] about the argument that the red saber couldn't be seen against Mustafar's background. But that's not up for discussion here.

[color=crimson]IMO[/color], more of this:

[image=http://starwars.wikicities.com/images/b/be/The_New_Dark_Lord.jpg]

would have only meant that the story of ROTS totally-sucked and all Lucas had left was to fill up two hours of film with a bunch of [i]"Hack -N- Slash"[/i] scenes...

[color=blue][face_grin] [Begin Sarcasm] [face_grin] [/color]

"Yeah, [i]THAT[/i] would've been a great movie to watch... if I was still thirteen."

[color=blue][face_laugh] [End Sarcasm][/color] [face_laugh]

I enjoyed the story, it was worth more to me than seeing suited Vader on screen. [/b]

24. linycvoy

linycvoy Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2006
    i think it would have been possible to have both... perhaps see more of the fall of anikan, and a litle bit more suited vader. We did wait 20 years for 5 minutes... lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.