main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would Star Wars fans like a similar franchise?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Darth_Crimson, May 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Crimson

Darth_Crimson Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2003
    Please don't close this thread down, as it has everything to do with the actual "Star Wars community."

How many of you would like a similar movie(perhaps trilogy) to Star Wars, in that there are two 'federations'- a good and a bad, parallel to the sith and jedi, and they each had swords and it took place in space and other planets and things...but maybe it was Earth's system and a neighboring alien system in like a thousand years....

Would Star Wars fans catch on to this movie(perhaps trilogy) and become a fan of it, or would they declare this space adventure a rip-off of star wars, even though the movie geneerally delivered a good script and action sequences?

Please explain your answer, this question actually has a professional importance...

2. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Most likely not, considering many fans already disliking even slightly similar franchises (Star Trek, LoTR, etc.).

I think the fanbase would be split- half would probably view it as a rip-off and a blasphemy, simply because they like Star Wars and NOTHING ELSE of similar content, and the other half would embrace it, or at least view it and not detest it, because it is something that Star Wars helped pioneer or because the fan is question likes Science Fiction or Space Opera in general.

;) :)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

3. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    Depends on the story and how well it were told. If it were just a cheap knock off of SW than I probably wouldn't like it. But that has nothing to do with me being a SW fan. I'd be like that if it were a cheap knock off of any other movie.

As a SW fan first and foremost, I love LOTR and the Matrix, which share alot with SW.

So to answer your question, yes it is possible

4. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I'd say yes. Of course the movie would have to be entertaining. I don't think the majority of Star Wars fans hate everything else out there. Most like some of the other fantasy/sci-fi franchises. Even if something is ripped off of Star Wars, if it's done well, fans will ultimately judge for themselves how that movie makes them feel.

5. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Depends on the story and how well it were told.

I guess that's the key. If it takes elements (rather than everything wholesale) and presents them in a different enough way, with new things introduced, it could stand on its own.

6. QuiGonTim

QuiGonTim Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Do you mean like Farscape?
    I loved it Most episodes were great and I herd a rumore they were making a movie.

Seriously though, there is one thing you can not duplicate that Both SW and Star Treck have that makes them a lasting success and that is there Nostalga.

7. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    Battlestar Galactica was like Star Wars. I liked it.

8. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    IMO Battle Star sucked, and was a complete rip off. I can't imagine a movie like starwars, that could be as cool as starwars with out being a complete rip off.

What would the swords be like? Ships? Troopers? The producer of the film would have to focus on creating something like starwars but radicaly different in every way so as to not be a copy cat. Which probably wouldn't work. Thats why no director is going to try it.

I won't even mention the legal troubles one would come too.

All in all it would be like walking on ice.

I think starwars is good enough.

peace out people. :)

9. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    Galactica came pretty close to Star Wars, but I still think it was good. It had some different concepts such as Earth being one of 13 colonies and these people whose colonies have been destroyed are looking for it.

Plus Galactica had that robot dog. :)

Star Trek is also somewhat similar to Star Wars. I like Star Trek, too.

10. ScottAlmighty

ScottAlmighty Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    Yeah dude, it could be pretty sweet. I've thought of sitting downa n penning one myself, actually. Not a Star Wars rip-off...but a sotry that would happen to share quite a few things in common with Star Wars.

It depends on HOW like Star Wars it is. I mean, a story with a conspicuoucly named male lead called Airwalker, or worse, Starkiller, might raise a few eyebrows...but generally speaking, a good story is a good story.

Hey...The Matrix rules, so...

11. medleyoz

medleyoz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    It depends. If it was just a blatent rip off of SW, similar plot and everything, I wouldn't like it.
    However if it used SW as an inspiration and delivered a good original script and plot with some cool action then I probably would like the movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.