main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Would the failure of the Solo movie be a good thing?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by PaperSkin, May 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaperSkin

PaperSkin Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 12, 2015
    I'm never one to want movies to fail, if I don't like something then I just don't watch it/engage with it...

However I've found myself thinking for the first time that I want a movie to fail because of the effect said movie will have on the franchise going forward...

To me the Han Solo movie is un-necessary, and if it was just that then it would be ok, I could just ignore it... but if the movie is a success it will encourage the thinking that created the movie in the first place, I.E the standalone movies away from the saga have to be characters we are already connected to..

I find this a problem as ultimately it makes the galaxy smaller, it doesn't give us fresh stuff, it stops LF doing new interesting stuff (like the 1313 concept) because the slots are taken up by giving us un-necessary backstory.... do we really need a young Han movie... his arc has been done, what can they do in his movie, how he becomes a smuggle perhaps, who cares the point of the character was that he was a smuggle who grew...

Having characters we know turn up in movies, like Boba or Jabba in some gangster/underworld film would be good, but they shouldn't be the full focus IMO, they shouldn't be the movie...

So would the Solo movie failing be a good thing? I think it would... as it would show LF that people are less interested in un-necessary backstory or stories of characters we have already got, that have been done justice already or simply don't need full movies as that was never their function... It would show milking past characters is not the way to go but rather new characters new interesting stories within the galaxy people love is... That's what Rogue One has going for it, even though the backdrop of the story is a event in the galaxy we are aware of, it crucially has new characters to take us on a ride..

The worry is if the Solo movie is a big success then the future slate of movies will go something like this...

- Han Solo 2 and 3
    - Young Lando: Smooth Talking
    - Young Leia: The Alderaan Years
    - Young Luke: The Farmer
    - Young Tarkin: Origin of Douchebaggery
    - Boba Fett: The Movie
    - Origin of the Emperor
    - The Bothan Sacrifice
    - Darth Vader's Christmas Break
    - Owen and Beru
    - Hux: The Teen Years
    - Captain Phasma: Origin of Armour
    - Chewie Goes For A Walk In The Park

... rather than new and interesting additions/flavours to the galaxy far far away, that expand its scope.... That doesn't mean the movies can't use familiar elements, indeed they should, but milking pass characters is bad for the franchise IMO as it makes things insular and may breed disinterest quickly.. where as a gangster movie with new characters in the galaxy would be exciting new and have a familiar element... they could do all types of things in the galaxy, romance movies, a horror movie, a racing movie following a pod racer... different stuff in the world of star wars... and not How did Lobot get employed at cloud city: The Movie..

Thoughts.. Would it be a good thing, or a bad thing... agree disagree etc..

2. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I understand your concern, and I don't know what to think of the Han Solo movie myself - I have more interest in Rogue One than that.

But let's wait and see. This is the first time we get spin-offs, and I think Lucasfilm wants to play it safe at least for the first two or three Anthologies. If the Anthologies are a success, they can take more risks and introduce really new worlds and stories into the GFFA.

BTW, I want Darth Vader's Christmas break to happen.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

Darth Formidious likes this.
  3. PaperSkin

PaperSkin Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 12, 2015
    To be honest I want Darth Vader's Christmas Break to happen too :):p

I'm very interested in Rogue One... but just can't get on board with the Solo movie... its wrong on so many levels for me... and I do wonder that if its a success if it will ultimately set the franchise back rather than move it forward... (creatively and possibly financially in the long run)

Darth Formidious likes this.
  4. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I don't know if the success or failure of one movie is really going to change much in terms of plans.

I guess it depends on what you're really talking about as its all relative. I get the feeling the anthology films in general have lower expectations than the saga films. I don't think they expect any of these to be billion dollar movies. If Han Solo comes in below, at, or even a little above expectations nothing changes.

Lets talk about the extremes then. If it is a John Carter level failure (which I think it would have to be to see any changes) we've got much bigger problems. If we get to a "people are losing their jobs failure," I'd actually think that level of failure would lead to more of what you're concerned about. I don't know if that level of failure is even possible, which is precisely the reason Disney bought lfl in the first place.

Content wise, I think you've got to wait to see what we're getting before you claim doom and gloom on how it figures into of the future films. 1313 was, at the end of the day, exactly what you're saying you're afraid of. Underworld, was more or less, what you're concerned with. But both of those definitely had the potential to open thing up a lot more. Supposedly what we're going to see in the anthology films draws from both 1313 and underworld, so you've got the chance to get those gangsters, podracers, etc., that you can follow in future spin-offs.

5. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I do wonder if the general audience will go for this , I mean there's a 'not-Harrsion Ford' factor . Yeah I know other people have played Indy etc. but in this case Harrison just reclaimed the role to quite a success in TFA , it's very much his , maybe its too soon .

6. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Honestly I am rather interested to see what can be made of a "non epic jedi saga" SW film but for stuff like Han and the gangster culture in general I think the key is being able to introduce original ideas to the standard of the OT. Abrams for me failed to do this and came up with something much more cartoonish and all too obvious in its real world influences.

Generally I think people underestimate just how good these aspects of the OT were, in terms of keeping gravitas and threat to them whilst also being fun and also not being so obvious with their influences.

7. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I don't want to see a movie fail at all. I may not be anticipating this one as mush as Rogue One, but in no way do I want to see it fail.

episodenone, spaulagain and HankSolo like this.
  8. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012

Agreed. If this movie were to flop, then we'd have to talk about having a reboot later.

9. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Honestly, looking ahead I don't foresee a Star Wars film becoming a failure anytime soon. This brand is as strong as it's ever been, and Disney is now nothing more than an organization leveraging and profiting off a select few brands (Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, public domain stories, and ESPN, despite its recent struggles). These films are nothing more than packaged commodities that come with a certain style, look, and expectation, and currently, general audiences are clamoring for more Marvel and Star Wars films.I don't expect to see the next few SW films reach the level of box office success that TFA had, but they will perform great.

I have complete zero interest in this Han Solo project. There's so much more content in the SW galaxy to explore, instead of focusing on a well known character that honestly doesn't require an exploration of his background. You want to have a fun, lighthearted space adventure with a smuggler? Fine, create a new character then. Solo and Chewbacca weren't the only ones operating out there in the galaxy, you know.

10. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I agree 100%! This film is not needed... Keep the story and change the character to someone completely new. The fact that the new actor looks NOTHING like Han Solo what-so-ever and the film is going to be set just a few years before ANH is going to be impossible to overlook!

I have not seen 1 character that has been improved with Star Wars backstory thus far - Infact, some have been downright butchered! Vader suffered the most. Honourable mentions to Boba Fett, Yoda, Palpatine, Chewy, R2D2, C3PO

Obi Wan is the only one that came out un-scathed...

A Boba Fett or Vader stand alone film COULD work because the character can look and sound EXACTLY the same - Because they are in costume.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I need more details about the movie before judging if it is unnecessary or not.
    Even then, if it is fun, that's all that matters to me.
    More Han, more Chewie, more Lando, more Jabba, more Bounty Hunters, etc works for me.

12. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I at least agree with your sentiment that Lucasfilm shouldn't get hooked on A New Hope. That they are able to move along with the story. Maybe the Stories get stuck one Trilogy back.

While 10,11,12 are being made we get the Post-ROTJ stories. Young Poe Dameron etc.

13. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    People were pretty lukewarm on Rogue One until the trailer hit. Give it 18 months and reassess.

themoth and Force Smuggler like this.
  14. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    I think it makes sense to use the movies to flesh out characters.

Of all the original trilogy characters my belief is that Han gets the least fleshed out in regards to back story so it makes sense to flesh him out.

Look what Disney has done with Marvel. Any reason to suspect they won't do the same with Star Wars? I think not.

15. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    That list gave me pain.. LOL

Avnar likes this.
  16. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I REALLY wish they would go in another direction with this, but I don't see that happening anytime soon, and look forward to a time down the road when they will stop with this OT-athon. One of the real hopes of the new SW universe that has not been met, or even shown any kind of sign it will happen whatsoever is the GFFA becoming more vast and full of variety in the given stories.

I am disappointed with this decision, and even more disappointed with the fact it will follow with Boba Fett. There is no telling how good of a movie they will come up with; regardless, I want a DIFFERENT good movie. Nonetheless, I don't think that means it won't be popular. The new generation of SW fans aren't as ingrained with Ford as Solo.

I agree with those saying that they are more likely to step out on a limb with something different and new if they continue to have great success with the movies.

17. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Blame George. The anthology films with the exception of Rogue One were laid out by him. Seems odd actually.

Satipo likes this.
  18. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I want every Star Wars film to be great, no matter the subject or time period. Heck, if they announced a Jar Jar origin story, I would still hope for it to work.

19. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    The OP mentions 1313. Let's not forget that it's entirely possible that that game could have been a total mess; it seems to have grown in reputation by virtue of being cancelled - it may not actually be The Great Lost Star Wars game, and if it had in fact been altered to be a Boba fett game, it might have been the nostalgia trip that people are worried that Han Solo will be.

The main thing I want is for it to be a story that expands the universe - not just a Han Solo origin film, but an important chapter of Star Wars, for which Han is the character most appropriate to be the POV from which we see it.

20. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    This.

Because this thread is exactly why the internet sucks.

21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    what's 1313 ?

22. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    A video game that was in development when Lucasfilm was bought and Lucasarts closed down, which was ambitious in graphical terms at least, set on coruscant's underworld (the 1313 of the title was the "level" of the district the game was set in) and had many people very excited by the prospect. Then there were rumours pre-buyout that it had been reworked a bit to focus on Boba Fett as the lead character (I think the original intention was to have it based on new characters) and then it was cancelled when Lucasarts was shut. Since then it's been one of those things that fans want to see the light of day one day, and its reputation has kind of led to people assuming it'd be a classic. It may well have been, but it could also have been throwaway, or just a fun game that came and went.

23. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
  24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This.

Sepra and JabbatheHumanBeing like this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    And it's not like we're not getting spinoffs with new characters. Of the two that have been announced we have one that has an entirely brand new main character and one who has an existing main character. That's an even split so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.