main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Would the GFFA be better off without Jedi?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darklordoftech, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Specific ages aside, Anakin Skywalker(taken to fight on Naboo even though not techincally an apprentice) and Ahsoka Tano come to mind right away. Was she 12 or 14?

Scout was what? 14 maybe, Whie was 13.

Padawan's accompanied their masters everywhere, danger or no.

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Adolescence doesn't seem to be recognized in the Star Wars galaxy, hence 14 year old queens of Naboo and the like. Ahsoka was 14-15 through the TV show. Scout was 16.

Do we fault Luke for Anakin Solo's death?

3. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Yes. He sent a bunch of teenagers off to die. When Luke and Anakin went to war they were 19+. Traditionally one wouldn't become a Jedi Knight until they had reached full maturity (20+). Luke took none of that into consideration.

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    That would seem to suggest that the parental figure aspect is overblown since Luke was Anakin's uncle. He sent 14 year old Ben to attack Centerpoint with Jacen too.

I guess the child protective services in the Galactic Alliance sucks.

5. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    If Scout was born in 34 bby, I'm not seeing how she could be 16 2 1/2 years into TCW(presumable sometime in 20 bby). Could be some changes/errors mixed in there though that I'm not aware of.

No that is Troy Dennings fault :p

But seriously, a lot of people do. The difference between the two scenarios for me is that the Vong were a threat to the very existence of the galaxy, the CIS were just a threat to the status quo.

6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    So the ends justify the means? And the Sith aren't a threat to the Jedi order's existence?

Dark Rendezvous was in 19 BBY according to Wookieepedia.

7. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    IDK, aren't we applying "our world" age conventions to the GFFA? The Solo kids were certainly wielding lightsabers and flying starships long before the legal driving age in my state. Leia and Padme were serving in the senate as teenagers, while the US Senate requires a minimum age of 35. I just think you have to leave some of that stuff behind - it's literally a different world.

ILNP likes this.
  8. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    In many ways the GFFA is more similar to Westeros than 21's century Earth, there is nothing immoral about sending teenagers to war or them having occupations. Adolescence is not a generally recognized concept in wide spread gffa sociaty.

9. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Well, Alderaan and Corellia do not see it that way, also many words have compulsory education, whilst military academies and the military drafts only allow adults, though of course some societies/races will certainly have varying definitions of what an adult is.

10. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009

2 planets out of thousands, one blasted to dust, the other having the habit of letting rabid bigots into positions of power and threatening the cosmos with a giant gun. I am not surprised their ideals have not caught on.

11. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    I am pretty sure there are others ;) just two I know that indeed have a fixed age when you are considered an adult.

12. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009

Seems like the Age of consent to marry (And probably more) is 13 as an Imperial admiral married his 13 year old mistress. I think the Kid at the helm of Obiwans and Qui-gon's transport was also a young teenager.

I don't think its as widely held as you believe.

Hutt's arn't legally considered adults till 100, Wookies might be the same, Some Human offshoot species live 2 centuries others cap out at 80 years.

13. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    I think they did not dare to question it, Grand Moff and all and afaik she was 15ish, if we are talking about Tavira that is.

The Republic Officer in Ep 1? o_O

Yep, there are whole age tables in the Guides for such things.

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think that was a reference to the Clone Army.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    How about Jedi Padawans, like Ahsoka? The youngest are 12 or so- yet they have been given the military rank of Commander- and thrown into battle alongside their Masters.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I agree with the second part but why do think that "the old republic was not good for the majority of the galaxies people"?

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    On the question of Ahsoka and other young jedi we see in dangerous situations, we have to remember that Star Wars is family entertainment with (as much as some fans deny it) young adults and kids as an important part of the target group and they often want to see characters that are closer to their own age going on adventure.:-B Young people in dangerous situation and/or going on adventure is part of the genre, remember the MST3K Mantra.

Complaining about the age of our main characters/sidekicks and what the jedi are thinking is like complaining about Kim Possible or Teen Titans Go (not that that has stopped people)[face_sigh]

Sarge likes this.
  18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Oh, no, it's alive![face_nail_biting]

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

Sorry, I just had to do it

Revanfan1 likes this.
  20. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Go far enough back in human history and there was no "adolescence." You were a kid then you passed into full adulthood, with all the rights and responsibilities - and yes, that was often around puberty (teens).

Different cultures, different rules and expectations.

21. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    She's 14 in YDR, presumably her birth year was calculated from that. If YDR is earlier in the timeline now because of TCW, her birthdate was probably moved back too.

22. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    It's an interesting question. When you look at it from a wide scope, are the Jedi really more of a problem than a solution? If there were no Jedi or Sith, would the galaxy be better or worse? I do think the Jedi themselves aided in the slow decline of the Old Republic, but without the Jedi the Yuuzhan Vong would have won for sure. And then where would we be? It's true that they cause a lot of problems, but in the end I think that more people would die without the Jedi than do with them.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do you mean that the Republic should have declined faster without the Jedi or not declined at all? Can you clarify this point, bitte.

24. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    Without the Jedi I don't think the Republic would have declined as fast as it did, but it still would have declined. It was corrupt to the core. The Jedi however were unable to see that what they were fighting to protect was the very thing they ahd vowed to destroy. The Jedi's own self-importance became their undoing.

25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    anakinfansince1983, if what I proposed is genocide, wouldn't it also be genocide to forbid Al-Qaeda from training people?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.