main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would the Prequels have been better with Directors other than GL?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by achtungdaibut, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Gallia

Master_Gallia Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    What many perceive as flat characters and wooden acting in the prequels, I perceive as an intentionally different take on the characters. The prequels take place in a more formal era, and the characters in the story are politicians and members of a knightly order, rather than an idealistic farmboy, a rebel leader, and a charming rogue. The characters in the PT speak more formally, and are more emotionally restrained, and I see that as reflecting the era in which Episodes I to III are set, and as reflecting the more formal nature of the characters' roles in society, rather than "flat and wooden."

If this was written in neon lights some people would still disregard it.
    Im surprised that more people haven't asked themselves why GL seems to be more satisfied with the PT and the way it turned out than the OT. Im sure others have notice the casual and open manner GL talks about the saga now that ROTS is complete. He doesn't hide the fact that he made up Yoda going into ESB. He also admits that he never thought about Yoda's origins, talks about Luke Starkiller, etc. The issue isn't with who directed what IMO. But the fact that the OT grew into something he didn't expect. While making the PT he didn't satisfy that since of "magic" that the OT inspired in the public and among fans. Instead, he made his intently corny, goto the movie for 2 hours on a saturday popcorn movies. However, some people just dont "get it".

2. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    No, GL needed to do it HIS way.

Good Stuff

3. achtungdaibut

achtungdaibut Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    I'm glad this has generated such a response. It also seems people are putting up well constructed and thought out replies.

I still think, even if he directed, GL should have delegated out a bit more. Maybe on the production side a Kurtz would have been better than a Macullum. Or the script could have been done else where when the story was finished.

I think this is something we can discuss. Because maybe it will influence GL in future. Now that the Saga is finished. He maybe more flexible with the TV series and possible spin off films. I think the Clone Wars Cartoons were excellent. It shows we as fans can get to see what we want while GL can still over-see and make sure the "canon" of the Saga is not affected.

4. aik_pan_skywalker

aik_pan_skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2005
    ROTS was excellent, as GL has said in interviews and on commentaries, Dialogue isnt the main point of the star wars films, dialogue is part of the soundtrack .

In Rots he excelled in this vision of telling a story via visuals and soundtrack and it was EPIC in its result.

So for a start we have to say THE DIRECTOR OF ROTS WAS THE RIGHT DIRECTOR.

as for the others prequels he didnt do as well .
    The style of EP 1 TPM always reminds me of ANH.

Maybe he didnt really know how to approach it, lets face it ANH was always a kids film so when he came to TPM ANH was his only compass and guide.

AOTC is different to all of them he went visual totally. and with the new medium of digital was obviously encouraged even more so, yet the dialogue stands out which shouldnt happen at all.

Not only this but the dialogue is badly written ,badly delivered or ill concieved which is sad.

YET LUCAS'S TRIUMPH WITH ROTS IS SUPERB IT IS "THE ONE."

HOWEVER THIS ONLY HIGHLIGHTS THE INADEQUESIES OF THE OTHER PREQUELS AND ESPECIALLY THE OT.

Seeing as GL directed ROTS AND ACHIEVED SO MUCH , HE HAS SHOWN HE CAN DIRECT STAR WARS LIKE IT WAS MEANT TO BE DIRECTED AND WRITTEN.

If only the other prequels and OT were directed with the same mindset.

ROTS IS BETTER THAN THE DIRECTORS OF BOTH ESB AND ROTJ.

ALSO IF YOU COMPARE ANH , TPM AND AOTC WITH ROTS THERE NOT BY THE SAME DIRECTOR EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE.
    HE HAD A TOTALLY DIFFERENT VISION. A DIFFERENT AGENDA AND ALSO HE REALLY WAS LIVING THE MYTH OF IT ALL TO THE FULL AND BELATEDLY SAW THE SIGNIFICANCE OF HIS OWN CLASSIC MYTH/FABLE , THIS WAS EVIDENT IN ITS GRANDUER AND SERIOUS MOOD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.