main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would the PT have been better without Natalie?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Darth_Joe, May 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Joe

Darth_Joe Jedi Youngling star 2

May 5, 2002
    Now don't get me wrong...I think she's hot too, but I also think she hurt AOTC. As I was watching AOTC for 7th time last night, I was trying to figure out why so many of the critics and a few fans have said that the acting was horrid. I personally think it all came from Natalie. She was just too dry and didn't deliver her lines well, and IMO hindered some of Hayden's performance in the love scenes. Now, on the other hand, I think she played her role very well in TPM as an unemotional queen, but now that she needs to show some emotion in her acting, she's just not very good at it. Also, look at some of her other movies like "Where the Heart Is." She's very dry and unemotional in that movie too, and in general, not a very good actor.
    We all know GL couldn't very well switch actresses half way through the PT, but do you think it was a wise choice to cast Portman in such an important role (minus the fact that she's a hottie)? I personally think another actress would've been better for the success of the PT, and helped bring some more emotion to the films.

P.S. Before you're quick to cast your opinion, remember lines like: "I will not give into this." - very dry and ruined what was a very good performance by Hayden.

2. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    It's hard to say if someone else would have been better. Do you have anyone in mind?

3. Darth_Joe

May 5, 2002
    I don't know...I've been trying to think of an actress that would play the role better, but I do think there is someone out there who could've done a heck of a lot better than Natalie.

4. Wookies-N-Cream

Wookies-N-Cream Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002

yea, she sucks. get er outta here

5. Skywalk272

Skywalk272 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2000
  6. prof_frink

prof_frink Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 1, 1999
    I just think she's one of those actors that does not adjust well to bluescreen...

Although - I have always said that the look on her face in TPM in the Senate, when she sees that her case is lost is acting gold...

She is a great actress, and quite frankly, I can't picture anybody else in that role...

7. Darth_Joe

May 5, 2002
    I don't think it's just the blue screen that makes her acting horrible. Have you ever seen any of her other movies? Aweful acting as well.

8. prof_frink

Feb 1, 1999
    Are you kidding - the professional is a fantastic movie, and she was only 11 years old..

And she was great in Heat as well...

People don't realize what kind of talent we have in these prequels - these are all great actors.. all of 'em...

9. Darth_Joe

May 5, 2002
    I do realize the talent, but I don't think Natalie is part of it. All of her lines up to the arena just fall flat and totally take me out of the movie. Hayden is a very charismatic actor and does a great job of drawing you into the movie...then it's Natalie's turn to talk and suddenly it feels like a 3rd rate sci-fi movie.

10. Grand_Moff_Jawa

May 31, 2001
    Darth_Joe, give some examples of better actresses then, otherwise, this is really not too helpful a topic.

11. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    More BS about Natalie... when will you people stop this inane madness? Some of you can't even spell "role" and you are judging a professional actor?

Ponderous...

RB

12. Darth_Joe

May 5, 2002
    well excuse me flamer

13. Skywalk272

Skywalk272 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2000
    *Begin rant*

You know why do we have a whole other thread on this? I really like talking about anything Natalie, especially since I'd like to defend my opinion on her, but I don't feel like jumping around to different threads to do it. Thus my link . .

*End rant

Sorry . . it just makes me mad :mad:

14. prof_frink

Feb 1, 1999
    Hear Hear!

15. anakin_skywalker_sct

anakin_skywalker_sct Jedi Master star 5

Apr 18, 2001
    What in the blazes was wrong with her? Do you people even know what the point of the bloody love story was, or how human beings act and react? C'mon, if she couldn't act she wouldn't be on the bloody big screen, would she? *sigh* Why do dumb people who hear or read a cool buzzword like "pacing" or "delivery" or *shudder* "wooden" from somewhere suddenly think they know more about casting than major directors?

I don't give a damn if she's "hot" or not, her job was to act like Padme, and to me she was Padme. Mission accomplished. There was nothing wrong with her lines, she spoke as if she were speaking, not as if she were just reciting something she memorised like a lot of the "great" shakespeareans do. Slander, slander I say!

16. Grand_Moff_Jawa

May 31, 2001
    Darth_Joe, was that "flamer" comment directed at me? If so, please reconsider my reply. I only meant that to say someone sucked as an actor in the movie is not very helpful unless you give examples of who you thought would have been better for the role. Is that clearer? And just because someone asks you a question doesn't make them a FLAMER. Jeez.

17. budaki

budaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2001
    Well, seeing as Natalie's character is meant to be stiff, my answer is NO.

If you were in politics all of your life and had to be very formal and emotionless, you would be the same way.

18. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    I am the flamer Joe? Read what you said about Portman... YOU are almost engulfed in flames... I just started dousing myself with gasoline. ;)

RB

19. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Actually, the worse acting IMHO comes from that Sio Bibble...good grief. Stiff indeed! His "Its unthinkable!" line made me choke on my drink...arghhhh!!!

:(

20. Darth_Joe

May 5, 2002
    Grand_Moff_Jawa: The flamer remark was not targetted at you...it was targetted at Razorback.

I can't believe you guys think she was good. Next time you watch the movie, listen to some of her lines and watch the facial expressions she makes. I don't consider myself an expert on acting...I'm far from it. I'm just expressing how I felt. She didn't ruin the movie for me, but I don't think she was cut out for the part in AOTC. I did love AOTC, but this is the one flaw I have seen in it.

21. DANA28

DANA28 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 15, 2002
    I thought she was great. That is how she is supposed to be, she's not Leia!

22. Ociredor

Ociredor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    I dunno. I thought that Natalie was great in ATOC. I doubt that another actress could have done a better job.

And remember, there are those who say that Hayden wasn't very good either...

23. prof_frink

Feb 1, 1999
    Darth Joe:

Just because your opinion is such, does not mean that we should all feel the same way...

Many of saw the movie, and do not share your opinion.

So you feel she took you out of the movie? Fine - you feel that she has bad facial expressions - fine.

But don't FORCE us to agree with you.

Judging acting is very subjective, so just as we tolerate your opinion - tolerate ours.

And I, for the record again, this she is nailing the role of hardened senator who is trying to lighten up...

24. Grand_Moff_Jawa

May 31, 2001
    Darth_Joe, no problem. I felt her acting in PM was dry, but then I considered her role as Queen and it all made sense. I didn't mind her acting in AOTC, maybe because I was used to her by then.

25. Darth_Joe

May 5, 2002
    I wasn't trying to force you guys to agree with. I just don't understand why you think she was so great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.