main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would the PT have been better without Natalie?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Darth_Joe, May 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Double_Sting

Double_Sting Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2001
    Let's put it this way:

Star Wars never has and never will get noticed for it's acting.

I think she did just fine. Sure some lines were off, but when it counted she did the job (ie the scene before they are going to be executed).

2. Vaders_leash

Vaders_leash Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    Natalie could have been better within the PT as far as acting. This is slightly prejudice, I know, as I still haven't seen Natalie in episode III.

IMO, her best quality is her looks.

3. JediKnightChrissy

JediKnightChrissy Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2002
    I don't understand why all these similar questions and debates about Natalie and her acting keep coming up...

Personally I thought she was great.

But why are we arguing this? The most die hard SW fan will point out all the flaws, but no matter what, they will go back to see the movie over and over.

Why ruin a good thing by arguing about something so pointless and senseless.

Lets just enjoy the SW saga!

4. Darth_Joe

Darth_Joe Jedi Youngling star 2

May 5, 2002
    The reason I started this in the first place, is because her poor performance detracts from the movie for me. All the other actors/actresses were great, but as stated by a few people here, she was not up to par with the rest of the cast.

5. Meatypants

Meatypants Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    Wizard8, I just read your post, and if I saw you on the street I would have to beat you in the face until you were so maimed that I would have to vomit on you, then I would beat you some more. This isn't a flame. This is just how personally disgusted I am with everything in your post.

P.S. Before you're quick to cast your opinion, remember lines like: "I will not give into this." - very dry and ruined what was a very good performance by Hayden.

Wow, I'd like to dismiss this entire thread on the "he did not get it" principle. Because you obviously did not get that line. What, do you want them to be crying and screaming during the entire movie, flailing their arms around like maniacs? The whole point of the line was that she was repressing her emotions and THINKING RATIONALLY about their careers. Of course she would stiffen herself.

6. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Meatypants, that IS flaming. You wouldn't like it if anyone said it to you right? Than what excuses you from making that comment?

7. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    there are some guys here who react to every negative point anybody raises about AOTC by saying "Star Wars was never popular for its etc."

When somebody says the dialogue was bad they reply "Star Wars was never about good dialogue. What did you expect? Great writing? In a Star Wars film?"

When somebody says the actors weren't great they reply "Star Wars was never about great acting? What did you expect? Acting? In Star Wars?"

When somebody says the characters weren't fleshed out or the editing was poor they reply "Characters? Editing? Star Wars was never......." you get the picture.

Do you guys not realize that you're basically putting Star Wars inadvertently in a very bad light? You're pretty much saying that Star Wars films have poor acting, bad dialogue, flat characters and so on and so forth.

Then why on earth are you watching these films?

8. Meatypants

May 19, 2002
    No, I like it when people tell me that they're upset with me. If I said something that incredibly wrong, I'd like to be told.

*waits for calling out*

9. Meatypants

May 19, 2002
    When why on earth are you watching these films?

Oh for christ's sake. Didn't we do this three years ago?

10. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Good point tukafo. I sure as heck wouldn't be watching the OT if it contained so much bad acting, bad editing, bad dialogue....etc, etc. I would've abandoned Star Wars a LONG time ago if that were the case. Yes, the OT has some flaws, but not nearly as much as the PT (IMO), and it doesn't detract from the overall experience.

I used to treat every new Star Wars film like the arrival of Haley's comet -- something rare and special -- why would I hold something in such high regard if it was as cheesy and goofy as people are making it out ot be?

And I'm not saying the lackluster performance completely ruins AOTC, it's just that I saw room for improvement to make the experience of watching AOTC much more enjoyable.

11. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    No, meatypants, we didn't.

It's just interesting to me that even some of the biggest Star Wars fans say that dialogue and acting in the films are poor.

12. OverIguana

OverIguana Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    I thought the "I will not give into this.." was perfectly delivered, and I think natalie's perfomance as a whole was very good. Not "spectacular" or anything, but thats not why people watch star wars.

I think she has proven herself as a quality actress in other projects. I really dont think you can critisize her ability when she receives as much praise as she does from her peers.

Honestly though even if I thought her acting did suck, shes still so damn hot that she can certainly get away with it.

13. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Here inconsistent performance is similiar to Carrie Fisher's hit and miss acting in Episodes 4, 5, and 6. Like mother, like daughter, I guess.

(I know Portman is not Fisher's daughter. However, her character is the mother of Fisher's character. I feel the need to point this out because some doofus will tell me that Portman and Fisher are not related.)

14. jeditigger

jeditigger Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2002

I'm certain that Padme, as a character, is still getting used to being able to show emotion of any sort, now that she's no longer Ice Queen of Naboo.

She's that gorgeous, career-minded girl who's thrown herself into her work, and never had to think about anything else but what is at the office. Suddenly, this formerly-mop-haired little kid that she knew years before has re-emerged in her life and he's awfully easy on the eyes. She knows that he is into her, and doesn't quite know how to make that work into the rest of her life. It's a much studied fact in psych circles that women are far more likely to become interested in the George Costanzas that they meet at a party who show genuine interest in them, than the Brad Pitt that is pretty to look at and has no depth beyond himself and his own interests.

That said, I think that Nat's acting simply conveys that point. No more, no less.

Good enough for me, I know. for sure.

15. Meatypants

May 19, 2002
    "I used to treat every new Star Wars film like the arrival of Haley's comet -- something rare and special -- why would I hold something in such high regard if it was as cheesy and goofy as people are making it out ot be?"

I would be correct to assume that you've actually seen the original three films, no?

16. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    That's the thing.

Natali was a great child actor.

Then she grew up and took the path many child actors do.

She was great in "Leon", "Beautiful Girls", "Heat", and a few others.

But then: "Anywhere But Here", "Where The Heart Is"... horrid.

She just hasn't matured well.

17. jeditigger

jeditigger Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2002

son_of_the_tear...

Are you friggin' nuts, she's matured something tremendous!!! *LOL*

18. the_darke

the_darke Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    Anyone that thinks Natalie cannot act should watch Leon. I say (blasphemous it may be) that the fault lies with Lucas- he is known for not being the most "actor friendly" director out there (Where as Luc Besson- who did Leon- is known for being very good with his actors). Lucas should have reliniquish directorial control to someone else, he's a great editor, a superb producer and great at thinking of the overall story design but when it comes to actors, dialogues and pace he sucks.

He originally said he would pass directorial reigns for Ep2 over to someone else, but I think he changed his mind to prove to the world he can direct after the fiasco that is the TPM (directorially speaking that is).

Blue Screen has nothing to do with it when it comes to good actors- actors need explanation of the character and advice if the performance is coming off as flat. The script did not help at all (Half of Anakin's lines would have got him a slap or a restraining order had he said them to any woman I know) and I worry about how Lucas approached his wife if he did it in that way (especially the stalker-like staring at her near the beginning when she says "stop looking at me like that"- that was scary and not in a good way). Sam Jackson can handle lack of direction because he is a focused and EXPERIENCED actor, as can Ewan- Natalie is on the other hand inexperienced when compared to those prolific stars. She needs advice and a guiding hand.

19. wizard8

wizard8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2001
    "Wizard8, I just read your post, and if I saw you on the street I would have to beat you in the face until you were so maimed that I would have to vomit on you, then I would beat you some more. This isn't a flame. This is just how personally disgusted I am with everything in your post."

No actually, this is VERY MUCH a flame.
    Only an individual as socially retarded as yourself would fail to recognize that fact.

Meatypants, if you're objective was to get the ugliest impulse out of someone, you win.
    You obviously have a very short fuse, and alienation isn't going to win you any arguements.

You failed to comeback with anything remotely resembling an intelligent rebuttal to my (or another's) post.

Maybe you should learn to control your impulsive self a little better as to not start a flame war.
    Then again, if you are a person against intelligent and controlled discussion of oppinions, then be my guest and flame away and see what happens.

"Before you're quick to cast your opinion, remember lines like: "I will not give into this." - very dry and ruined what was a very good performance by Hayden."

Uh, that's not from my post. I don't even know what the hell you're talking about.

I simply shared my oppinion that Natalie Portman's acting was not up to par with the other actors in the film, and that, while I enjoyed AOTC, and while her performance didn't detract from the film for others, it DID detract from the film for me at times and was one of the things that knocked it a step down in my eyes in comparison to the earlier SW films.
    It took away from the believability of the entire experience to a certain degree.

Got a problem with that? Obviously you do, and obviously you don't care about the oppinions of others.

Guess what?
    This thread was started by someone who obviously felt about this even MORE strongly than I do, and there are several other posters in this thread that feel the same way. ALOT of people.

Please quote my post where I stated that SW actors should scream and cry while flailing their arms about like maniacs or whatever it is you said.
    I think that there's a big difference between showing SOME emotion and arms flailing and screaming like maniacs, however, judging by your reaction in your post, I'm sure you can't tell the difference between normal and overreacting.

Even further, I usually defend SW when people attack it, but it's not blind devotion, I can see when it has problems. I've defended TPM on these and other boards, and this is really the first time I've been flamed this bad by a SW fan.

That said, alot of people hate the elitist attitude of some SW fans and hate the films because of it. The people that are so blindly devoted to anything Lucas does that they can't even except any criticism whatsoever.
    Well guess what? You provoked me to a point where for the first time I feel like I'm on the other side of the SW fence. I KNOW now how these people feel, how Star Wars elitists can alienate others.

It's people like you that give Star Wars fans a very bad name.

20. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    Portman made the movie more enjoyable for me... with anyone else in that character I am not sure I would have enjoyed it.

I don't care if Joe or John or Billy Bob Thorton disagree with that (though I have not heard Thorton's take on this argument). I dig Ms. "Portman" and I have enjoyed her work in the past.

For all the comments in here about her I am reminded of the 12 ton load of crap thrown at DiCaprio's acting skills once Titanic was out. One of the best actors in Hollywood (who out acted DeNiro in This Boys Life) gets slammed on the Internet whenever his name is mentioned.

Why? Because most people could not judge a good performance if their life depended on it.

RB

21. wizard8

wizard8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2001
    "Because most people could not judge a good performance if their life depended on it."

And why's that?

22. deak_n_windy

deak_n_windy Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2002
    Why's that? Because Razorback is always right. The end. Ha. A majority of his posts that I have read have been both condescending, and not highly original busts with nothing additional to say.

In any case, upon subsequent viewings, certain aspects of the film have grown on me. Nat's performance is NOT one of them.

"I want to know who is trying to kill me."
    (I'm not convinced. Say it like you mean it. )
    "Then my Jedi Protector will have to prove how good he is." (mumbled)
    "Suddenly, I'm afraid." (You don't look or sound afraid.)
    "Artoo, what are you DOING here?" (Way to bust up a tender funeral moment. It's a droid. It takes directions unless something is deemed an emergency. Something must be wrong. Don't look like you're going to beat the thing, act concerned.)
    "As a member of the Senate..." (There is no way I'm buying her as the representative of an entire planet of people. She mumbles and has no authoritative presence. Traits of a respected leader? Nope.)
    "We're going to need some help!" (I'll let her slide on this one, since it was obviously just thrown in to give her something to say. However, I feel no urgency in her statement at all.)
    And finally, the exchange with the Clonetrooper. "We've got to get to that hangar!" Um, Nat. The guy you just pledged your "deep" love to is in danger.
    The leader of the Seperatists is getting away.

Thankfully, a good chunk of her lines were cut. I think the film's better off.
    If anyone found any of the examples that I've cited moving in any way, please explain thoroughly. I think they all fell flat and hinder the film.
    I'm expecting "She looks great and can therefore do no wrong" which I've been reading a lot of.
    I really am interested to hear what exactly is touching people about her performance. I for one am sure that Natalie herself is none too proud of it.
    Poor direction, maybe, but she has to take some of the blame.

23. Jedi-Wanna-be

Jedi-Wanna-be Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    Her performance was totally wooden and devoid of any emotional investment.

This young woman is NOT AN ACTOR.

She is a pretty face; a wanna-be.
    (Like me, hahaha) :)

Haydn only seems to be over-doing it in the scenes where he's stuck with her. I bet he hated having to work with her. It must have been gruelling to try to act in love with a person who seems more intersted in her hairdo or make-up.

24. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    I don't think Natalie's performance is necessarily horrid, but I do think she does not give a **** about her character or her overall performance. Most of the other principals in AOTC look like they're having a good time, where Natalie looks like she's going through the motions.

With every viewing of AOTC, I notice more and more how Hayden will overplay certain scenes in which Natalie is just lifeless. Especially the fireplace scene, it looks like Hayden is doing his best to draw SOME sort of emotion from her. I remember making some disparaging comments about Hayden's attitude after that NY Times article in which Natalie says Hayden was being critical of her acting ability - however, given Natalie's performance in AOTC, I can't say I blame him.

I don't buy the blue screen argument, because her best performance is in the scene before the execution. All blue screen. And the fireplace scene was shot on a real set with a real fire, so her performance should have been BETTER in an environment like that. But alas, it is not.

25. deak_n_windy

deak_n_windy Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2002
    I think you're right about her not caring, and unfortunately it carries across to the audience.
    I don't care a bit about her character. Yeah, she's attractive. Looks good in the costumes. That's about it, and it's not enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.