Would the PT have been better without Natalie?

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by Darth_Joe, May 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke_Clone Jedi Master

star 4
    "Actually, I feel that if GL hadn't cut out some of Nat's scenes from the movie, she would have gotten a more positive response overall. Those deleted scenes really could have shown other parts of her character, and given her more depth and chances to prove her acting ability. However, because the scenes were deleted, most of her performance was during the romance scenes, which people didn't seem to be very fond of in the first place."

Ociredor, could you elaborate on this? I think that indeed this was the case and that important Padme scenes which really helped her character in the novel were cut from teh film. But, if it's not too much to ask, which scenes do you mean?
  2. Anakin_Skywalker20 Force Ghost

star 5
    Remember... a lot of stuff had been cut from the opening scene..I think... thats what I call some bad editing.don't get me wrong... its just that...I wish GL didn't cut too Much of it. Damn!! oh well. Ep3 Baby, Whooopi... :D :)
  3. DarthHomer Force Ghost

star 5
    Anakin, you've made a good start with that website.
  4. Ociredor Jedi Knight

star 1
    I do not know all of the scenes that were cut from AOTC(remember, AOTC was orginally over 2 hours long) but the scenes I was mentioning in particular include the family scene and the Senate scene in the beginning after the ship blows up.
  5. forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Lessa,

Sorry for the late reply. But thanks to Boyo for replying anyway.

Yes, it was the "dawn before the podrace scene". Padme comes to wake up Anakin near the pod, then Kitster comes on the eopies. NP was not too good in that scene.

Anyway, let's hope NP keeps on improving and getting more beautiful in EIII. As Leia remembers: "she was beautiful and kind... but sad". She is BEAUTIFUL! I want to see her looking sad and kind in EIII - then I can rest in peace!
  6. Lessa Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks anyway, forever_jedi :D

What I meant by people excusing her acting because of her looks:

I've heard plenty of people go on and on about how great she looked in AOTC (to the point of not noticing her acting at all).

However, I have yet to hear anyone say: "Natalie Portman? Well, she was the ugliest thing I've ever seen in a Star Wars movie. What in the world was GL thinking?! But, damn, she sure could act." :p
  7. boyo Jedi Knight

I would rather hear "Natalie Portman? Well, she was the MOST BEAUTIFUL thing I've ever seen in a Star Wars movie. GL sure can pick 'em. And damn, she sure can act."
  8. Yodave27 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, its SW, I mean Carrie Fisher didn't give great performances in the OT, but all is forgiven because she got in a metal bikini for ROTJ.

Natalie is fine for SW. Is it going to win awards? No. All she has to do is convince us she's Padme, which I think she did quite well in AOTC. She and Ewan VASTLY improved upon their TPM performances. In this one they were both given more screen time and did quite well.
  9. BlueMules Jedi Knight

star 3
    Would the PT have been better without Natalie?

I don't know, but I think some people will get upset :D
  10. QueenDorme Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Well I personally believe that Miss Rose Byrne should have played Padme.

Ever noticed that Dorme looks exactly like Leia???

Besides, Miss Byrne can act. ;)
  11. JediNathan Jedi Master

star 4
    I think many people are jumping on the bad acting band wagon, because unfortunately I dont believe the story had that touch of "magic" that the OT could cover the acting up with.

We were all so taken aback by the brilliant world Lucas had created, the acting wasn't on our priorities to pick at.

Now that we had a PT coming, we expected far too much due what we had built up in our minds. I think your question is fair, but I dont think Natalie ruined the PT, I think she played her character well. Yes, I said her character...IMO I think the way we see her played...is that...the way she's meant to be played, and she does that well. Same goes to Hayden.
  12. Jorus_Kando Jedi Master

star 4
    Only one actor could have played a better Padmé than Natalie:

[image=http://snl-ibc.jt.org/mango.gif]
    Mango!
  13. DragonFang Jedi Knight

I was just reading this thread from the beginning and I was wondering. When Darth_Joe said that he was watching AOTC for the 7th time, how was he watching it? It's not out yet. Thanks.
  14. BlueMules Jedi Knight

star 3
    I was just reading this thread from the beginning and I was wondering. When Darth_Joe said that he was watching AOTC for the 7th time, how was he watching it? It's not out yet. Thanks.

What makes you think it wasn't out yet?
    He posted on May 27, the movie was out on May 16. I think he can watch AOTC for 7 times within 11 days ( I won't do it, though :)

15. Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost

star 4
    Surprisingly, Natalie has been unimpressive 2 movies in. She has no emotion or intensity in her voice and delivery. She is just like Vin Deisel. Just deadpanning her way through every scene. And then in that fireplace scene, she does not even try to match Anakin's intensity and he's shaking and on the verge of tears! And they're supposed to be teenagers in love! Where was the immature, juvenille emotions that come with those types of relationships? Where was the nervousness and fear that comes form embarking on "forbidden love"?
    Not good...
  16. mjerome3 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well, out of the two, Padme has to be the rational one. Both of them can't have the same intensity. Although she feels the same way about him she has to be the cautious one because of her place and position as well as her reputation. So she has to be careful.

Natalie Portman did a good job in Episode II. In Episode I TPM, she even stated that she really didn't deliver her best possible effort. Who should have played Amidala if not Natalie Portman? Sandra Bullock?

17. JediLeiaOrgana Jedi Master

star 1
    Good Lord! Not Sandra Bullock!! What were you thinking when you though of her? There are plenty of young, talented actesses who could replace Portman.

1. Rose Byrne. Played Dormé in AotC, very good actress, looks a lot like Leia.

2. Keira Knightly. Played Sabé in TPM, very good at showing emotions...one of the most talented young actesses around, IMHO.

3. Anna Paquin. Nominated for an Oscar at the age of 11...need I say more?

And that doesn't even start to get into the talented upon talented young women who could play this part. I think that George's problem was that he didn't go looking for anyone else.

~*~Jedi Leia~*~
  18. DragonFang Jedi Knight

Hey BlueMules, sorry about the mix up. I thought he ment he watched it on video (or DVD), I didn't think about him going to the theater that many times.
  19. darth_obawan Jedi Master

star 4
    YES!!!

but itz hard 2 imagine any1 else as padme
  20. ShadesofSiknas Jedi Knight

star 1
    Im not a fan of Natalie!
    So much so she is the only person I want to see killed on screen as bad as Jar Jar nad I dont mean Padme I mean Natalie.

Darth Siknas
  21. GodalmingJedi Jedi Padawan

Natalie was brilliant in Attack of the Clones and she can act and is gorgeous
  22. DarthKarde Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I thought that Natalie was the only one whose acting performance was really bad. There was so little emotion in her voice at times when it was so desperately needed and who can forget the farce that was her fall, apparant injury and miraculas split second recovery. IMO Hayden's acting was absolute top notch. Given Natalies bad acting to work alongside and GL's awful dialogue to work with, I think he deserves a great deal of credit, far more than any critics gave him. As for Natalie, well it's a good job shes hot because she sure can't act.
  23. Verry Jedi Knight

star 3
    She does say things, kinda weird. I suppose you could say stiff, but....it just doesn't seem right? Anyhow, i can't say if it's bad, it's just not good.
  24. StarJube Jedi Padawan

Right now, being that we are right past the middle of the trilogy, it's hard to think of anyone else being Padme...When I think of Padme I think Portman.

Although I never thought of it, I would have to agree that Anna Paquin would have been a likely choice to play Padme. She's a excellent actress.
  25. skywalker325 Jedi Master

star 4
    Anna Paquin would be a GREAT choice!! So I went to check more out and remember what she looked like and all. She'd have fit the part perfectly age-wise and has the soft look of Natalie. But check out what I just read on her fan site:

posted 2/22/02--Star Wars actor coming to London stage
    Hayden Christensen is to appear in London's West End. Christensen plays Anakin Skywalker in the forthcoming Star Wars film. He will co-star with Anna Paquin in This Is Our Youth, a revival of a play by Kenneth Lonergan. Previews will begin in late February and the play will run for eight weeks with Laurence Boswell directing reports www.variety.com. Christensen will play a rich kid who spends a decadent weekend stealing, dealing, and consuming drugs.

I'm DYING to know how well those two work together! I'll keep looking...

-sky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.