TOR Would the Technology of the Current Consoles support TOR?

Discussion in 'Games' started by LottDodd, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LottDodd Force Ghost

star 4
    KOTOR (and KOTOR II) is my favorite game of all time. Along with Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and Jade Empire... Bioware can do no wrong in my opinion. So naturally I am dying to play TOR when it comes out. However my computer is crappy, so it will take me approx $1000 bucks for something worthy to run the game on.
    Now I know that so far the game has been tracking only for PC (I am hoping that EA will see the folly of this). But I'm wondering is that because the game is so Big it would only work on PC? XBOX Live seems to be able to hold a billion or so people for Halo or Black ops. I'm sure those partical effects have to slow down the internet far more than crunchy Hit Point Data... But I don't know. I'm not a programmer.
    So is The Old Republic being available only for PC a Marketing or Technological Decision?
  2. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
    The majority of people interested in an MMO have PC's. There isn't really a huge demand for it on any other console at the moment. Given that their biggest competition is Blizzard, they'd be smart to make it run on Mac as well. Butttt I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

Also it's not a tech thing, they can definitely make it for other consoles it's just a matter of time/money/worth.
  3. JasperMereel_ Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well, time will tell if that happens. Who knows?
  4. Sinrebirth SWC and EUC Forum Moderator

Manager
    star 7
    As a primarily PS3 user, I'd have to be a little bit hopeful that it will hit consoles, even in some kind of abbreviated format. Though more likely than not it'll remain PC only.
  5. LottDodd Force Ghost

star 4
    I just can't see EA holding back the game from that many users. The KOTOR Series was an enormus hit... On Consoles. EA's Primary income comes from consoles. EA almost always pushes for a Multi Platform release.... that is why Mass Effect(2) is no longer an X-Box exclusive.
    If there was some technological limit, I would understand... But right now they are invalidating tens of millions in profit.

The only other reason I could see there reluctance may be in subscription dues. I haven't played the Big MMO's but generally you have to buy a subscription, right? If you are just a Member of X-Box Live, than you probably wouldn't have to purchase an extra subscription.
    If that is the reason... I would happily buy a subscription (like add-on content with my x-box points), I just do not want to be left out of the GFFA....
  6. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7

KOTOR is only a rpg. Mass Effect is only a rpg. There is a huge, huge difference between and rpg and an mmorpg. Although some people will cross over and play both, it's still not the same target audience. The most money is going to be made from people who already enjoy MMO's - which comes from the PC. Now if this game blows all the other MMO's out of the water (which I half suspect it won't, and will just provide an equal challenge to WoW), then in a few years they might release it for Xbox or something. But I really doubt it.
  7. LottDodd Force Ghost

star 4
    I dont get that reasoning. The Reason most people play MMOs on computer is because for a long time (including most of WoWs run) A PC was the only thing connected to the internet. THe First X-Box and PS2 couldn't cut it. And when they have attempted to crossover... they have done it with truly awful games (the Final Fantasy Ones and I think there was a Phantasy Star or something).

Now if they only want old MMO players and not build an audience they should follow the PC mode. But you are saying that the only people who would be interested in a game like this would be people who are allready playing. People who you couldnt drag away from WoW if their Kids were on Fire.
    The Last time Star Wars tried an MMO with PC Players alone it was a dismal failure (again it wasn't a great game). The Vaunted PC MMO Community wasnt large enough or interested enough to support it. THe Same thing is currently happening to the Star Trek MMO released earlier this year.
    Top this off with more and more people switching to Ipads and smartphones for there computing needs and the classic PC Gamer is a shrinking, Aging, Population. (same can be said for console users... average age is 35).

All that said, believe you are right.... All the word so far has been PC Only. But I think they are foolish not to release it to as wide an audience as possible.
  8. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
    Well it's the same thing that I said earlier about Macs. Macs have been connected to the internet just as long as PC's, but only recently do you see...maybe 1 or 2 mmo's for them, and hardly any games. Thing is, almost everyone owns at least a PC now. It's just the base piece of technology that people have to have. Not everyone owns an xbox or other platforms. Personally, I can't even afford to buy one of them. So what platform would make the most sense - the one that your type of game has already been on, and the one that every household owns, or the one that only some people own? And then what, you narrow it down to one type of console and then you're losing out on the people who play the other consoles, etc., spend even more money adapting it to multiple consoles - is it really worth it? Everyone owns a pc or laptop or something of that sort. Hell, even if the mac people want to play they can just install bootcamp. Adapting the game to consoles is more of a luxury at this point than a necessity. They don't need to do it.

I didn't say that the only people who are interested in this are the ones who are already playing. I'm saying, that's their target audience - you can be a massive star wars fan, a massive RPG fan, and end up hating the mmo style. The mmo crowd already exists in the gaming community, whether it be WoW based or any of the others - and those are the ones that make the best target audience (and it's a really big target audience too). Then of course they would have the next biggest one, Star Wars fans, then RPG fans, etc etc.

The reason why Galaxies failed had nothing to do with the platform. You have to think of it like this - regardless of the genre being Star Wars, what it all comes down to is what company is making the game. Galaxies was made by a not-great company, and it was full of glitches and set up horribly gameplay wise. TOR is made by Bioware, one of the top gaming companies to make most of the top games out there right now. Bioware doesn't really mess up. Also, the Star Trek mmo was a piece of crap as well. There have been many many horrible mmo's made. Listing them as an argument as to why this game should be on consoles is really irrelevant.

As far as the ipad/iphone argument goes, that's also irrelevant because we're talking about gaming, not technological inventions.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.