Speculation Would the VII movie be a story about the old Republic?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond (Archive)' started by Jheaspes, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Jheaspes Jedi Youngling

It could be pretty Awesome if they made a trilogy about the Old republic.
    General Immodet likes this.
  2. chris hayes Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    No the old republic era will most likely be made after the sequel trilogy ....
    Julius Vernon and Echo-07 like this.
  3. Vid_The_Impaler Jedi Padawan

4. Cad Carnage Jedi Master

star 1
    Hopefully they'll make a spin off trilogy about The Old Republic someday, but Episode VII will take place after ROTJ carry on the Skywalker saga.
    Julius Vernon and Echo-07 like this.
  5. Buddha Fett Chosen One

star 4
    You do understand that VII goes after VI, correct?
  6. Lord Chazza Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Besides all that, Disney said it would be an original story so I don't think it can be about the Old Republic. If Disney did choose to make films about the Old Republic I reckon they would drop the episode numbers.
  7. Bazinga'd SWC / PT / Spinoff Manager - Thread Executioner

Manager
    star 5
    I think the very strong presumption is that the ST will be a continuation of the Skywalker story. While I agree some elements of TOR are great stories, my take is that the TOR will be covered in either the live action TV show, if ever produced, or another animated series akin to TCW.
  8. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Episode VII is supposed to follow ROTJ but as Disney is planning to make movies every 2-3 years, I hope they'll cover the Old Republic era at some point.
  9. General Immodet Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Personnaly, I think the announcement the new movies will be sequels to the OT is a very bad move.
    I think a SW trilogy about the Old Republic time period (and the Sith Wars) would have been a lot better...
    The directors would have more space and could leave most of the EU as it is today.
    By the way, I think it would have been great to see Jedi and Sith lead armies into battle!
  10. Lord Chazza Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I think it would be wrong to assume that Disney or Lucasarts care about preserving the EU. Don't get me wrong, movies about the Old Republic would be awesome but the OT are the movies that people love and remember so it's natural that Disney would want to capitalise on that love and affection by continuing that storyline. In the words of Princess Leia: "If the original trilogy is all that you love then that's what you'll recieve." (Sorry. Couldn't resist.)
  11. Fleab88 Jedi Grand Master

star 3

Actually the ST is by far the smarter move to do first. If they wish to use old cast members (Not saying they will, but it is a very strong possibility) then you want to do the ST first before they get to much older. They can always go back and move on to do a trilogy set in the Old Republic. A ST could potentially have a harsher time frame to work with depending on what they would want to do. I love the EU, but wishing to keep it all the same is a poor reason to not make a ST imo.
    Julius Vernon likes this.
  12. Echo-07 Force Ghost

star 4
    These answers cover it precisely IMO.
    Julius Vernon likes this.
  13. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Actually there was a typo during the announcement, and it is actually -VII. They can do whatever they want to now!
  14. Minez01 Force Ghost

star 1
    +1. Or pick characters that don't have "Skywalker" or "Solo" in their names. Sigh.
  15. Joe Force Ghost

star 6
    Sadly, those are the names that sell.
  16. mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    post a silly thread get a silly answer.
  17. Luukeskywalker Chosen One

star 4
    No, but I do think that VII-IX will be about the rebuilding of the NEW Republic.
  18. mes520 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Some day yes, a trilogy or tv series or heck maybe both