Would this costume be considered "Jedi colours"?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Fall-on-Jin, Apr 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fall-on-Jin Jedi Knight

star 3
    I have Designed an idea for a Jedi Costume, although it is using a lot of black.

Here is the picture, Although its on Geocites it might not load. The Dark Grey areas are meant to be black, however i chose Dark grey to make the outlines show up better.

The main purpose of me asking is does this look like a Typical Jedi Costume? I am aware that many different types exist, allthough not many are black.
  2. Marna_Veign Jedi Master

star 4
    Looks good to me. Not much different from a 'Darth Maul'ish costume I have.

I think it would pass.

It's a good pic too. :)
  3. JangoFett316 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Those colors would work, as long as the milky yellow was more of a tan color. Perhaps that's what you were aiming for, I dunno it looked a little cartoony to me.
    Several Jedi dress in darker tones, like black or really dark browns.
    Take a look at the Jedi Luminara Unduli and Barriss Offee, both dress almost entirely in black.
    The earth tones of most Jedi are just the common Jedi look, meant to blend in with even the most common of folk. Some Jedi dress to honor their native culture (Adi Gallia's headdress), and some just customize the Jedi outfit to their liking (Anakin).
    Whatever you do, have fun with it, that's why we're here. :)
  4. Primrodo Force Ghost

star 4
    Adi's what now? Isn't that a physical characteristic of her species?

Nice looking costume.

If you are worried about teh black you can always go a nice deep brown that would appear black in certian lighting :)
  5. JangoFett316 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm pretty sure that Adi Gallia's, and her cousin Stass Allie's, head pieces are just headdresses. The Official Site details a little bit on it.
  6. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    To have a thoroughly nerdtastical moment, if I remember correctly, the Ep. I Visual Dictionary referred to Adi's headpiece as a "Tholoth headdress" -- my spelling could be off, but I'm 99% sure.

-sg
  7. KissSpooky Jedi Knight

star 2
    I think the costume looks good....sort of a ROTJ-Luke design to it. I'd say maybe make it less of a harsh contrast between the the black and the light colours....if you really like the black, keep it and make the lighter parts maybe a deeper, richer colour...

Otherwise, looks good. :)
  8. Fall-on-Jin Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thanks for the input/complimtes guys (and girls), i really appreciate your help :D

One more thing, what material would you suggest for the Jacket-type thing? ive got almost everything else sorted: shoes (need extensions) Pants, Unershirt and im working on a lightsaber. With any luck, this costume will be finished in a few weeks, time depending. I will have pictures as soon as its done.

Fall-on-jin
  9. KissSpooky Jedi Knight

star 2
    depends on your budget and what you like....go to your local fabric store...I always think it's a good idea to find something with a neat texture, but that's me..
    no one can go wrong with finding something they just plain really like...
  10. Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost

star 5
    Of course it would be Jedi Colors, since once you're a Jedi Knight, you are free to wear whatever you want for your jedi robes. My Jedi costume will be red and black!!! So, color it how you choose, at least if your rank is Knight or Master.
  11. JangoFett316 Jedi Knight

star 3
    One thing I forgot to mention regarding the public on the situation.
    You can dress as a Jedi any way you want, but if you're going to wear this out (Halloween, conventions, etc.) people will assume that your a bad guy, if they even recognize it as Star Wars at all.
    It's cool if you don't care, but from personal experience I can tell you the public isn't always as knowledgable as we are. I dress in the traditional Jedi colors, custom to my own liking, and I still get people asking if I'm Obi-Wan or Anakin or Luke(?). One person was actually pretty close when they said Mace, that's kinda what I designed mine after.
    But anyway, do what you want, because that's what this hobby is about. Just thought I'd give you something else to consider when making your costume. Good luck.
  12. Woofer Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, I get the same thing with my black Jedi costume.

They assume I'm Sith. No. I just like black.

Actually considering I'm a first gen fan, my age and blond hair, and dressed in black, my favourite response to "Who are you" is "I'm Luke, Episode 7" (or 8 or 9 depending on how curmudgeonly I'm feeling)
  13. Fall-on-Jin Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, i dont paticulary care what people think about me, i feel that if you do to an extent it makes you a very shallow person.

Although i did not make it clear (my bad), the purpose of me asking was to see if it would get mistaken for a sith to the undertained eye. I guess it might, however it would be an interesting twist for the jedi with more sithly looking costume to be a more pure jedi. (well, the other jedi in the film is Anakin Skywalker, we even have a hayden look alike to play that part)

Thanks again for your input!
  14. Forcebewitya Jedi Master

star 4
    I think the black and grey are good colors for Jedi's. My costume is going to be grean and brown, not too much different from usual, but none the less its still out of the norm of Jedis. I kinda like to stand out in the crowd so many people have brown and tan so I chose something a little different. I really like the black idea though. But like everyone else mentioned, some SW uneducated people might still think your a sith.

Forcebewitya!
  15. Stephan2312 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I don't want to derive attention from Fall-on-Jin's costume, but a starting a new thread is a bit of a waste.

How about this color-combination?
    And if the tabbards were a light brown?

[image=http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/2166523.jpg]

Stephan
  16. Jauhzmynn Jedi Master

star 4
    The resolution isn't too clear, Is the darker colors black?
    it looks good to me.

Mynn
  17. Stephan2312 Jedi Knight

star 1
    The tabbards are black vinyl, yes.

On another note, I deliberately didn't put on an obi. I was wondering which color you would use. The same color as the tabbards or the same as the tunic??

Stephan
  18. JangoFett316 Jedi Knight

star 3
    While it's still up to you, I believe the obi would be the same color as the tunic. This is the way Anakin and Bultar Swan's costumes are, and both have the leather tabbards such as yours. Nice work by the way, I like it.
  19. Jauhzmynn Jedi Master

star 4

Humm <rubs chin>
    Well you can make the Obi same color as your tunic or your tabbords. I say make an Obi the same color as the tunbic, try it on, see how that look. Make another the same shade as the tabbords and see how that looks.
    I'm making a set of tunics. Under will be a chocoalte brown, over tunic will be a jade color. I think my Obi will be Jade as well.

Mynn
  20. Fall-on-Jin Jedi Knight

star 3
    Stephan2312 - Cool costume! I liked the way the tunic turned out, thats basically the one that i wanted with shoulder bells instead of the sleeves! Do you have a pattern for it, or perhaps a tutorial? By the way, what material did you use for it?

Again: cool costume :D
  21. Stephan2312 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks Fall-on-Jin!

I didn't use an actual pattern. I followed the instructions on Ambers site

I think the material was a cotton fabric. I cannot remember the name, though, sorry.

Stephan2312
  22. CieSharp Jedi Master

star 4
    The costume picture looks very similar to the uniforms worn by the Robotech Expeditionary Force (REF), from the short lived "Robotech II: The Sentinels" cartoon show (based loosely on the Macross Anime series). I wish I had a picture to show you in comparison, but I couldn't find anything.

Perhaps that's the look you were aiming for. If so, that's cool by me, it looks like it would be a great post-Galactic-Civil-War Jedi costume. But I just wanted to alert you to the similarity in case you didn't know, and you end up going to a convention and somebody like Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons comes along and tells you the same thing in a super snooty way.
  23. Stephan2312 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey guys,

I've been thinking a lot about my Jedi Robe. I wanted one similar to Anakin's, but I'm in doubt wich color would look good. I think black would look cool, but it might look too evil.

What do you guys think:
    [image=http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/2354404.jpg]

(Click for a better view, you can't see the difference here)

Stephan2312
  24. DARTHLARS Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't see that any Jedi in the movies wears any black, except for Luke in ROTJ.
    Anakin's tabards are a very dark brown. Luminara Unduli, Barris Offee and Shaak Ti dress in very dark shades, but not a single piece of their costumes are pitch black. They may appear black in many photos, but in others you can see that they are not.
  25. JangoFett316 Jedi Knight

star 3
    While it's completely up to you, I don't think the Anakin style robe works unless the tunic sleeves are close to the robe in color. On Anakin you can barely notice it in most shots. It took some close examination before I realized he didn't have any sleeves on it.
    I just think the light colored sleeves stand out too much from the robe, but that's just me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.