main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would this costume work?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by ChancellorGoauld, Jun 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChancellorGoauld

ChancellorGoauld Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    hey guys, I'm making a fanfilm and I have designed a sith character, and was wondering if any of you have any tips on how to construct the costume.

This isn't a real pic, it's pieced together from other photos and has been drawn on.

[image=http://www.braksator.com/SithConcept.jpg]

On the right you can see a bit more clearly how the fabric is supposed to be.

The cape, hood, vest flaps, and leg covering flaps, are all supposed to look like one piece of that robe fabric. But should I make it in one piece?
    The belt is wrapped around the cape, so the cape doesn't flow until below the belt.

I am also a little worried because when it's dark the "outline" of the costume looks a bit like a woman in a period dress.

2. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I would make it three seperate pieces. 1, the pants. 2, the grey undershirt. 3, the robe and hood. The costume doesn't look too much like period dress either. Really it seems pretty easy to create.

Does that help any? I can go into how I'd create it a little more if you'd like.

3. ChancellorGoauld

ChancellorGoauld Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    Yes please, I have absolutely no prior knowledge on this.

By the way, the undershirt (you can see it on arms and chest) is already made.

So just the cape, hood, vest, and leg flaps I need help with. Particular what material to use (prefferably whatever you guys use to make Darth Sidious robes [I tried searching]) how to know what shape to cut out. And how to form the hood.

Also belt, but I've made those before so no worries.

4. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Material wise I would use something cottony. I found some scrub fabric that I like very much for this type of project (you know what doctors wear, scrubs?). I'm using it on my Darth Maul costume and I like it very much.

I have a crude Paint picture of how I'd do the cape, hood, and leg flaps.

[image=http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v239/JediDajuan/Star%20Wars/costuming/cloakhelp.bmp]

First create the cape to the desired length and width, leaving a little extra room for hems and such. I would make it a little wider than the person's sholders. Fold it in half and cut out a little scoop for the neck, this is where I'd attach the hood, but we're not there yet.

Next cut out the leg flaps. Make sure they are wide enough together to cover the front of the person's body. I would make them point a little on the inside to get the look you are going for. Sew the top of the leg flaps to the cape at the sholders. At this point your costume should look like the picture I created, if you were to lay everything flat.

Hoods are harder. I would 18"x36" piece of fabric out for that. Fold it in half so it is now a 18"x18" piece, then sew one of the open ends. (You may want line the hood so you can't see the hems. Just double what I'm telling you and sew the pieces to one another with the wrong sides together.) You now have an unattached hood. Take the open bottom of your hood and put the sewn edge of it to the exact center of the neck of your cape, pin it there. Next pin the front bottom corners of the hood to the top of the leg flaps (along the neck line of course) a couple inches down. Now just gather the raw edges of the hood nice and evenly along the neck and stich it.

I am assuming here that you have a basic understanding of sewing terms. I also may have gotten a little confusing in there. Anything you don't understand please let me know. I'll be happy to clarify. Like I said this is a similar method I used to create my Darth Maul costume. I didn't have a pattern for it either.

EDIT: Yea, my first picture ever worked!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.