PT Would this have been awesome or horrible . . .

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Tornado Wrangler, Feb 9, 2014.

Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. Tornado Wrangler Jedi Master

star 1
    Back before ROTS, I remember reading a lot of ridiculous theories about Palpatine/Sidious. This might have been one of them. What if during the scene when Sidious is trying to turn Anakin, we had gotten a major plot twist!

Sidious: "Your mother ever told you what happened to your father."
    Anakin: "She told me enough. She told me I had no father."
    Sidious: "No, Anakin, I am your father."

Awesome? Horrible? Horribly Awesome? Awesomely Horrible?
  2. Cushing's Admirer Force Ghost

star 6
    Personally I think what we got and what you propose are horrible. The making the 'hero' and 'villain' related can work but it can also come off as awfully cliche and yes, I made my main 'hero' and my main antagonist brothers in my writing, originally. I don't think it's a bad element to use but presentation/execution/handling will have huge bearing on how such connections are taken.

Not to mention that there's already so many nearly impossible connections in SW already I think adding this one would be overkill and make the others seem not as impacting.
    skyrimcat9416 likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler Force Ghost

star 5
  4. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    I read that one before ROTS too and...absolutely horrible.

Of course so was being conceived by midichlorians.
    Sarge and skyrimcat9416 like this.
  5. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6
  6. DantheJedi Force Ghost

star 5
    Anyone remember that MAD magazine article they published in-between ESB and ROTJ, that was basically George Lucas' plans for the SW saga? Luke Skywalker ends up discovering The Force is his father, and they were kinda right, only wrong Skywalker.

(It would be awesome if Disney made a SW movie titled "Makin' Wookiee", though....)
  7. Tornado Wrangler Jedi Master

star 1
    For the record, I think it would have been a bad idea and fans would have not liked it.

But, it would have helped justify why Anakin flipped so quickly. Then, in ESB, why Vader revealed himself when he did. It worked on him, so he expected it to work on Luke.

Also, think about ROTJ with Palps as Vader's daddy. It feels a lot different . . .
    Last edited by Tornado Wrangler, Feb 9, 2014
  8. skyrimcat9416 Jedi Master

star 1
    That would have been stupid and ridiculous.
  9. Katarn's Beard Jedi Knight

Terrible. Star Wars movies recycle enough things as it is, we don't need that line recycled too.
  10. ObiAlKenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Too many things Lucas recycled from the originals. So that they rhyme....ugh! Sorry but Terrible.
  11. Cryogenic Force Ghost

star 4
    One of the contrasts between Sidious and Vader in terms of the way they deliver killer revelations is that Vader is a little, er, unsubtle about it, literally cleaving Luke of his hand and then lacerating him with a stark, unalloyed truth, while Sidious slowly draws Anakin into his web of deceit and creates an irresistible miasma of fact and fiction: controlled carrot dangling vs. a crude electric shock.
  12. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn The Other Saga Moderator

Manager
    star 6
    I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned that this was actually written into the script at some point. (Or something close to it - Palpatine manipulating the midichlorians to create Anakin. It's partially still there, actually - it's just very vague, 'let the viewer decide.')
    Last edited by Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn, Feb 9, 2014
    SithStarSlayer likes this.
  13. ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio

star 6
    Yeah, I remember around the time of ROTS we were discussing all these "what if" scenarios. One was that maybe Sidious conceived Anakin through the midichlorians and left him to be raised by Shmi in the outer rim.

The other one was that the jedi knew about Anakin and abandoned Shmi to the outer rim and Sidious would tell Anakin the truth how they abandoned his mother and that would lead to his turn to the dark side.

A lot of this was tied to the whole Syfo Dyas died ten years ago and people thought it was Sidious in disguise and he started the ball rolling with the creation of Anakin and then the clone army. Then, he ditched his disguise and Sifo Dyas "died".

Good times.

But I don't like the ideas much. I thought there were already too many connections in the prequels.
    Last edited by ShaneP, Feb 9, 2014
  14. MOC Yak Face Moderator, Classic Trilogy

Manager
    star 4
    Given his love for 'rhyme' between the trilogies - There's still good in him - it wouldn't have surprised me if George included this.

To answer the question, though, horrible!
  15. The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Master

star 3
    A horrible plot idea.
    There's a such thing as a twist,
    and there's a such thing as an utterly unneeded cliché, in films.
  16. CommanderDrenn Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    It would have been lame to have it happen twice in the saga so I'd say horrible.
  17. Darth Dominikkus Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    It is incredibly cliche and in-the-box to relate the hero and villain in any way. Our culture loves to put family against one another as some type of "plot twist". I think it is, quite frankly, boring.
  18. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    QFT. IIRC, Palpatine claimed to be his creator without saying as much.
    "In fact, you could almost think of me as your.... father."

I'm just glad that "I need your help son" was left alone.
    ;)

:p
    Last edited by SithStarSlayer, Feb 10, 2014
  19. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9

In the shooting script, Palpatine tells Anakin that he knows that the manipulation of the Midichlorians to create life and cheat death is true, because he was the one who started the process that created Anakin. Anakin then sides with Palpatine rather than go back to the Temple and then the Jedi Posse show up afterwards, having learned from Obi-wan that Palpatine is Sidious after seeing a hologram of Sidious talking to Grievous and the Confederacy leaders. This was indeed filmed in 2003, but was dropped during the re-shoots in 04 as Lucas felt it would be more interesting if it was left ambiguous as to whether the Sith created Anakin or the Force did it.
  20. JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Yeah, I'm glad that Lucas left it more up in the air than in your face. It's possible that Sidious was responsible for Anakin's conception, but he also could have been planting those seeds just to plant them. The more ambiguous the better.
  21. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    This is worse than the theory that Mace hid inside C3PO in the OT.
  22. ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio

star 6
    I like the ambiguity and prefer that Palpatine was just playing with Anakin all along about the midis.
    Last edited by ShaneP, Feb 10, 2014
    JoshieHewls likes this.
  23. SlashMan Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    There are plenty of references to the OT that come across as clever nods, but this would have been a bit too much. Mindblowing, yes, but it would change everything we know. Palpatine was supposed to be a father figure to Anakin, but it's not necessary to have him literally be his father.
    ShaneP and TOSCHESTATION like this.
  24. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    That would make it the most uncomfortably awkward family reunion session imaginable in ROTJ.
  25. TX-20 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Between a virgin birth and this, I would've liked this.
Moderators: Bazinga'd