main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Would Thrawn Approve of the First Order?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by instantdeath, Apr 20, 2017.

1. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    what are people's thoughts on establishing a military academy masked as a boarding school (age 6), and only when the children graduate (say 20), then give them a blaster and tell them, here, kill some Resistance scum?
    Then theoretically they are adults...

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The option to choose is always important even if you raise a child to a career--which is not an option here.

3. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I really don't see how the Lothal Academy for Young Imperials is any different than the military high schools that exist in real life. Now if you have a problem with those too, I can understand where you're coming from, and regardless of your opinion on, that's a political discussion that has nothing to do with Star Wars and you're entitled to feel however you feel about it. but it's not like military school is some cartoonishly evil thing that only happens in Sith-run dictatorships. even Canada has one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  4. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think it's because the Secret Academy books make it clear these kids are conscripts. Sabine's horror is that she eventually got out of one of these academies and found out that her actions there were hurting real people.

I will say also the Lothal Academy was teaching rotten military lessons too. Teamwork, people!

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  6. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    The Imperial academies seem to be very strict well that's because their military schools.

7. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I could see Thrawn being a top official in the First Order. The first order is just like the empire,and yes it's cause from kylo ren's perspective is revenge. Now I wouldn't say the First Order is slower to committing horrific violence than the Empire was. If the Empire had the death star built right when Palpatine Rose to Emperor, You would have probably seen more Violence from them quicker and more planets destroyed. The first order only appear different due to it's smaller presence.

So Thrawn would probably support (and Be In charge of First Order). Thrawn was fine with deceit and oppressing people. He may have had shades of grey within but he was still power hungry and a narcissistic control freak

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  8. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I think he would find them to be an unorganized terrorist group. Between the ridiculous triumvirate of Phasma, Hux and Kylo (with his temper tantrums), I believe Thrawn would try to take over and fix their incompetence. Hux destroying Hosnian Prime is beyond psychotic.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Hux is doing so on Snoke's orders. His rant is pretty crazy-sounding, true - it's modelled on the rants of Hitler.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    But Hux also suggested destroying Hosnian Prime. He told Snoke that the weapon was ready, and I believe he suggested it should be used.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Thrawn would view the FO with contempt and disdain. He'd see them as mere posers, useful fanatics and shock troops perhaps but he would consider them both expendable and contemptible.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Legends Thrawn? Probably.

Canon Thrawn? We know he knew of the Death Star and probably approved of it in efficiency terms, so in that respect Starkiller Base is fine.

13. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I think it'd be less the fanatical fascists that he'd take issue with and more the fact that their leader is very likely at least one of the things that's been giving his race headaches.

14. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I think his issue would be less that they're fanatical fascists and more that the centre of it's major cult of personality and leader of the organisation is very likely to be one of the Chiss' enemies.

15. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    I would say no, because if anything, Thrawn hates waste and inefficiency, similar to Revan. He's potrayed as being pragmatically ruthless. Wheras the First Order are diehard North Korea/Isis fanatic who think nothing of burning worlds for the sake of Imperial purity. They're tryhards with none of the social support required for a functional Empire like Rome. They don't build roads or defend allied states, they simply murder until they have control.

16. Pacified_llama

Pacified_llama Jedi Master star 3

Sep 15, 2017
    The two personalities are very distinct, the latter, canon Thrawn is far less romanticized.

That said, the British Empire romanticized brutal colonialism, so I guess anything's possible. Thrawn probably wouldn't have cared. He wasn't immoral, but amoral. Legends Thrawn didn't care for politics. And Starkiller Base and the Death Star were both political tools - not weapons for mere wanton murder.

17. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017

We don't even know if Snoke and his people ,are the ones Thrawn was looking for allies to fight against.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    He seemed at least mildly disapproving of it in his conversation with Palpatine at the end of the book.

Jedi Knight Fett and Vialco like this.
  19. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I’m hoping Thrawn is the liaison between Rae and Snoke.

20. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    http://comicbook.com/starwars/2017/11/07/star-wars-rebels-thrawn-survives-rogue-one/
    I could see it being entirely possible with this news that Thrawn survived until the FO. Is there even a new canon lifespan for Chiss? Couldn't Snoke be seen to fill in with Legends Thrawn's original plans for C'Baoth? Or, could they be setting him aside, in canon, for whatever comes after the Sequel Trilogy? He could essentially redo his Imperial Remnant role with the remnants of the First Order....

How do you think they're going to use the character moving forward?

21. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    For all of Pellaeon's musings that Vader was a brute compared to Thrawn in the Legends Thrawn Trilogy, I don't actually see them as being that different in the core. Vader ended up the way he did because he will do anything to save Padme. Thrawn ended up with the Empire because he will do anything to save the Chiss.

If Thrawn survives post-ROTJ, I'd like to see him end up causing the destruction of the Chiss through his ruthless ways to save them, much as Anakin ended up causing Padme's death by trying to prevent it with the Dark Side. Thrawn then dies knowing he failed his people, and in a twist from Legends someone tells him that the Chiss destruction "Was so artistically done" as Thrawn dies.

Gamiel likes this.
  22. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    The problem there is that within canon the Chiss, or at least the Chiss leadership, have no issue with Thrawn's methods. So the concept of him doing evil deeds for his people and it all being for nothing, (effectively a kind of Stannis Baratheon tale), doesn't quite apply. The Chiss aren't innocents, and in the end it would be just as much their fault as it would be Thrawn's.

23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Wouldn't that be even more appropriate? Thrawn was sent out to be an agent to protect his people and then led the Empire right to their doorstep?

24. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Well it kind of dilutes the concept a bit. I mean, what's been described sounds like some kind of poetic tragedy of Thrawn's life and death; he ends up destroying the thing he loves through his own attempts to save them...it's not as poignant if the subject of his devotion is a willing participant in his actions. It becomes about the Chiss as a whole and less about Thrawn himself.

25. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Considering in Legends Thrawn executed Cris Pieterson for using the "I was just following orders" excuse, it would seem very odd if Thrawn himself fell back on that excuse and told the Chiss "I was just following your orders" if he ends up causing their destruction.

I would expect Thrawn to hold himself to the same standards he holds others--that someone is supposed to think up innovative solutions going beyond what their orders were. And I imagine Thrawn would hold himself accountable if those "innovative solutions" fail, or outright cause what he was trying to prevent.

26. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually, he executed him for trying to pass blame - saying "My commanding officer didn't train me properly"

When a later officer comes up with an innovative solution that fails, Thrawn promotes him - for trying.