main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Would Thrawn Approve of the First Order?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by instantdeath, Apr 20, 2017.

1. DarthKuriboh

DarthKuriboh Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2007

Kind of like how everyone else sees Crylo Ren?

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Seems far-fetched.

3. DarthKuriboh

DarthKuriboh Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2007
    I doubt he even knows who Snoke is. He has zero clue the first order is even out in the unknown regions. I think Thrawn would be more likely to put someone like Leia in charge. Consummate politician who is familiar with Imperial law and still desires justice and peace.

4. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I wonder if Rommel would approve of North Korea? Quick, someone write an alternate history novel about that scenario.

5. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    i really doubt ysalamiri would've been even a little bit of an issue for someone as powerful in the force as palpatine.

6. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I got the impression that the new, more just leader Thrawn wants to put on the throne to be Thrawn himself. Might just be me though

7. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Does Leia approve of murdering dissidents and labor camps?

Then she's not the candidate for Thrawn.

8. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010

You've officially made me imagine Thrawn and Kylo Ren interacting as a South Park scene, with Thrawn as Randy (just imagine Thrawn with the mustache), and Kylo Ren as one of the goth kids.

Thrawn: "Hey Kylo, I was thinkin'... you know your Uncle? You know how he's raising a new generation of Jedi and stuff?"

Kylo: "Yeah, those Jedi are so conformist and lame.

"I know right? You should totally kill them.

"Whoa, that seems kinda extreme."

"I know, right?! It'd be totally hardcore. You should kill them. I'd get it on video, everyone would know how cool you are. We could get you a mask, you'd be all scary and badass. "

"I don't know... my Mom would be really mad at me if I killed all the Jedi."

"Oh, I see... yeah, yeah, that's fine... it's just..." *shuffles feet*

"Just what?"

"It's just... Vader would do it. But really, it's okay to be scared, not everyone's Vader."

"Hey, I'm not scared!"

"Nah, nah, it's fine. I guess I just thought you were cool, but it's fine, but it's fine. Pissing on my grandfather's grave isn't something I'd do, but hey, your call bro, your call."

"My Grandfather turned to the light side!"

"Oh right, the light side. You help any old ladies cross the street today Benny boy? Save any cats from trees? C'mon. I saw your diary. You weren't writing to some p***y who hates sand. You were writing to the Dark Lord."

"That's because Darth Vader just got it, man. He got that life all life is suffering and pain, and people are just in it for themselves, and when Dad holds grounds you for spray painting the Millennium Falcon black it's because he's a conformist douche who doesn't understand how cruel the galaxy is."

"Of course. But Vader... I mean, he was only Prince of Darkness, Heir to the Empire, Lord of the Sith... wish he was around to kill some Jedi. But I couldn't expect some rich boy to relate to someone as evil as that..."

"My heart is just as dark and twisted as Vader's!"

"Oh yeah, right. Like you could be Vader. Vader killed Jedi Younglings."

"I'll kill Jedi babies!"

Thrawn turns around and steeples his fingers. "All goes according to plan."

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well, the problem with that comparsion is it's North Korea if North Korea was the one in Homefront. A megapower technologically advanced super state which can easily conquer the USA.

In other words John Milinus' Star Wars.

10. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I've been saying since time immemorial that George should have kept his good friend close at hand for his later Star Wars endeavours. Ancient Jedi surviving crucifixion and fighting their way through cannibalistic Sith orgies, Seperatists taking experimental cruisers and defecting to the side of the Republic under the ruse of war games and scoundrels reflecting back on horrific past experiences wherein 1100 men went into the sarlacc pit and only 316 came out. The things they could have accomplished together...

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  11. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Well we also have to compare the state of the Imperial Remnant(s) and the First Order. Its important to note that the Imperial Remnants, legally or not, proclaimed themselves to be -the- Galactic Empire. The First Order doesn't do that, it's even openly said that it 'isn't the Empire', if I'm not mistaken. Which gives the Remnants at least a semblance or claim of legitimacy, something the FO doesn't really even bother to do. Unless the 'First Order' name actually comes from them claiming descent not only from the Empire but also from the Old Republic, I'm doubting it now though.

PCCViking and Charlemagne19 like this.
  12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well, they could claim they're heirs to the legitimacy of the Old Republic which passed to the Empire then passed to them.

Which would make them like a third ordered realm, or as the Germans would say Reich that...

*pause*

Okay, brainwashing permanently broken.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    And yet weirdly, the FO goes around with propaganda posters that refer to "Legitimate Rule."

I think the FO doesn't pretend to be the Empire and knows it is not; but it thinks the NR is wholly illegitimate.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

CaptainPeabody likes this.
  14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Okay, my anime fanboyism is going to come but I actually believe the First Order isn't necessarily a bunch of Imperial wannabees but reminds me of a group from Mobile Suit Gundam in the Titans. In the original Gundam universe, just about everyone was a member of a Zeon remnant or attempt to rebuild the original bad guys who were your typical Space Empire (albeit slightly more nuanced). However, the Titans were actually an offshoot of the government which was created by EARTH (zeon's enemies) that still adopted much of the iconography and tactics of Zeon. This despite how much they disdained the ACTUAL Zeon Remnants.

It could well be the First Order's PUBLIC face actually disdains the Empire and maybe even the interior Empire does the same as well but thinks they had some right ideas.

They take the TIE fighters, Stormtroopers, and other symbols of Imperial power but view themselves as the way the Empire SHOULD have been.

No actual Emperor but strong centralized power, military strength, and efficiency versus the Empire's corrupt oligarchy and royalist trappings.

15. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013

You mean Zhukov, or some other communist general from the classic period.

I'm sure any self respecting member of the Third Reich, be they Nazi true-believers, Prussian traditionalist officer-gentlemen, or people who rose through the military ranks like Rommel, would have agreed that North Korea deserved the fate of all communist rabble, as did the Soviet Union before it.

16. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I wonder would Thrawn approve of the Remnant (After the treaty)?

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    They didn't exactly do much to the Vong did they?

18. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I mean, would he approve of the treaty? Not really the state of the Empire. I doubt anyone would be to proud of that. But, anyway, would Thrawn approve of peace with the rebels?

19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well, Thrawn looked at the sorry state of the Empire before and tried to reverse matters.

20. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

We can dream :(

My wish-thinking is also something along those lines.

21. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    This is why, even in Legends, the "Thrawn did what he had to do to stop the Vong" retcon seems clunky in my opinion. Ultimately, the Jedi had a leading hand in stopping the Vong, and someone as smart as Thrawn would foresee this. Was Thrawn actively trying to help Luke re-establish the Jedi in the Thrawn Trilogy? Kidnapping kids and antagonizing the last Jedi in the galaxy to bring them under the control of a crazy clone Jedi doesn't seem like it...

22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The idea of Thrawn viewing the Jedi Order as the best asset against the Vong is made problematic by the fact they're an independent organization and he had plans to clone Jedi Knights as soldiers as well as have a Dark Jedi recruit.

I have no doubt Thrawn would have viewed them as a dangerously unstable element, not the least because Luke and Leia DID oppose and DID defeat his regime.

Thrawn opposed the Vong but only on HIS terms.

23. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Even if Thrawn cloned a Jedi army, who would train them? Joruus was already getting out of hand to manage even Thrawn's regular army.

Luke and Leia opposed Thrawn because he attacked first. If Thrawn pulled a Treaty of Jakku or Pellaeon-Gavrisom treaty, then Luke would be on board to hear what Thrawn had to say.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Thrawn would never tolerate peace with the NR. He was fundamentally and irreconcilably anti-democratic and anti-pluralist.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Thrawn doesn't understand how the Jedi work. This is a quality consistent throughout TTT.

As for Luke and Leia, the simple fact is that they have irrenconciable differences in viewpoint.

For Thrawn to make peace with the New Republic, he'd need to be, essentially a different sort of person than he was or the NR's leadership.

CaptainPeabody likes this.