main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Would Thrawn Approve of the First Order?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by instantdeath, Apr 20, 2017.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, Thrawn (an Chiss society in general) values security & order above all else. Personal free, plurality, civil liberties, and democracy aren't ideals I see Thrawn supporting at all.

--Adm. Nick

Vialco and JediBatman like this.
  2. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Well I wouldn't call it him supporting those values, just accepting that he has to co-exist with a New Republic. If Thrawn were in charge, I'd imagine it wouldn't necessarily be a peace deal though, more than likely it'd be a really long ceasefire until Thrawn's confident he could take down the New Republic.

JediBatman and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Having just finished the latest issue of Poe Damoren, I do think there's an interesting contrast between the First Order and the Imperial members of the organization.

Terex is a snooty, corrupt, criminally-inclined ex-Stormtrooper who is openly supportive of slavery and considers the First Order a bunch of children who playing at Imperials. He's pretty much the stereotype of the Imperial Governors we've come to meet over the years despite being an intelligence officer. The fact he's grossly incompetant and self-entitled doesn't in any way shape or form make him think of himself. As far as he's concerned, HE is the New Order and it's the First Order that falls behind.

However, the reaction of the First Order to TEREX is barely concealed contempt and loathing because of all the qualities that he's got on display. Captain Phasma talks about how the First Order is not the Empire and has emerged stronger for its crucible. She looks aghast (as much as a helmet can) at his slaves--as much for the presence of aliens as disgust at the institution--and considers his finery disgusting. The fact he's also a former criminal/is a current one makes her think he's a disgrace to the uniform.
    It makes a nice comparison that I'd like to see used for future First Order/Empire discussions.

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    In Legends, Thrawn seemed openly disdainful at how the Empire fell Endor at the Battle of Endor after the Death of the Emperor (Yes,” Thrawn said, his voice quiet and contemptuous. “You fought on. Like cadets.”) now going with the assumption that Legends Thrawn and Canon Thrawn have the same mindset (pretty much, yes), I don't think he'd be enamored of the First Order zealotry around their Supreme Leader Snoke. Too much centralized power that can be neutralized. Also the First Order, if you take Hux's speech as prevailing ideology, seems a bit too shouty and emotional for Thrawn and not as much coldly logical as he likes to make his moves. He'd probably find them useful in a canon fodder sort of way but would want to strip all the angry Snoke worship and make them more efficient. They may think they're the distilled essence of the Empire but Thrawn would want them to be smarter about it.

5. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    The FO seems to be more centered around the mystic/occult elements of the Empire rather than the technocratic/militaristic parts that Thrawn prefers. Seeing as how he was extremely disdainful of and unimpressed by the Bendu, he wouldn't like the heavy religious overtones of the FO and either join them reluctantly and try to mold them into reflecting his ideals or strike out on his own altogether.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't think we've seen any mystic/occult elements in the First Order yet?

Yes, Snoke knows the dark side, but he's as removed from the FO as Palpatine was from the Empire.

Yes, Kylo Ren is around, but like Vader he is only one.

The rest of the First Order seems much more technocratic and militaristic than the Empire was.

SpecForce Trooper and JediBatman like this.
  7. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

As far-fetched as

Rae Sloane being the mother of the First Order? :p

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    We shall see...

I have faith.

9. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Sloane is Snoke

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Tsago

Tsago Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 24, 2017
    Thrawn might even turn out to be the creator of the First Order.

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    If they introduce the Noghri into Rebels, I wouldn't be surprised if we had a direct translation of Leia's visit to Honghor, only with the Rebels instead.

Thrawn getting stabbed by Rukh before Endor.

12. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    Still think if that happens before Endor then his canon role is far less impressive than is Legends role. But will reserve judgement until that happens... :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Probably, albeit we have Rae Sloane and Rax filling in much of the Post-Endor Legends role.

I will say Thrawn gets props for being the man who discovered the Rebellion existed, though.

14. Rennzwerg

Mar 26, 2017
    My point is I don't want character XYZ to fill in that role. That is not the same and why can't there be several people in these roles anyway? Ah, the joys of being emotionally attached...

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Eh, I wouldn't mind Thrawn building the First Order up. I just think it'd be a shame to just repeat old stories.

Rennzwerg likes this.
  16. Rennzwerg

Mar 26, 2017
    With this I totally agree. We have Legends already. Plus, it would make it all very predictable.

17. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    I think he'd support it, albeit reluctantly for the same reason he supported the Empire. Simply because there's no viable alternative. If you remember, the new republic was a total mess in Episode 7 as well.

Sent from my Alcatel_4060O using Tapatalk

18. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I wouldn't mind if Thrawn bit the dust in Rebels. His character served a great purpose for the time period--emasculating the newly formed Rebel Alliance into wusses who are too afraid to fight the Empire even up to A New Hope. He decimated their fleet and showed the Galaxy what would happen if they joined the Rebellion.

Admittedly I am not a huge Thrawn fan. I enjoyed his original appearance, but I think the retcons killed him for me.

Sent from Hell--depending on whether or not it exists.

19. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I think if Thrawn was still around by the time of the ST he'd be well and truly fed up with all these dark side freaks popping up and taking command of every damn authoritarian organisation that shows up in the Galaxy, probably call it a day and retire as an art critic.

20. Rennzwerg

Mar 26, 2017
    Now, that I would love to see! :-D

Kev-Mas_Colcha and SyndicThrass like this.
  21. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I feel like Thrawn would probably have agreed with the general idea of order, and stability, and tearing down "corrupt" democratic regimes.

However, I don't know that he'd agree with some of the specific methods that the FO uses. The FO seems to be fanatical almost to the point of being cult-like, and I don't know that Thrawn would approve of that. I could see him listening to Hux's big speech and feeling that that kind of emotionally fanaticism would be counterproductive in the long run. And he probably would see Kylo Ren as being more of a liability than anything else, given his "personal issues." And TBF, in TFA, Kylo DID undermine the FO's plans due to his need to satisfy said personal issues.

Also he might not be too fond of SKB. He might tolerate it, but he wouldn't think too highly of it either.

PCCViking likes this.
  22. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Thrawn would adore the FO. It's an autocratic military state -- what he liked about the Empire in the first place!

Kev-Mas_Colcha likes this.
  23. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Except that it's not the same thing if you look past the surface level.

PCCViking likes this.
  24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The First Order is more akin to Thrawn's tastes, though, because it's an organization which actually does believe in law and order at the expense of the person.

It's just horrifyingly working versus being the pet project of a Dark Side God.

Morgoth, for example, wanted to destroy all of Middle Earth and ruin Eru's plan.

Sauron just wanted to bring order to it.

Kev-Mas_Colcha likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I still want Thrawn to show up 5 years after Endor, but realize he missed the war. And then he retires and becomes an art critic.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.