main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Would you be a Jedi or a Sith?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Lord Revan., Feb 17, 2014.

?

Would you join the Jedi or the Sith?

1. I would join the Sith

37.5%
  2. I would join the Jedi

62.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    Right, they just pretend everything's ok and a hundred million people die because of it (i.e.Clone Wars).

2. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003

Yes, but the Sith are the ones killing those hundred million people.

3. Darth Maul Apprentice

Jan 27, 2014
    The imperfections of the Jedi is what lead to that. A lot of the Sith were Jedi who saw through their rigid rules. I realize most people won't agree to that, but it's how I see it.

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    "Rigid rules" as presented are not some excuse for evil people to do evil things. "Well gee, the Jedi won't let me keep a trading card collection because that is an attachment. I'm gonna turn Sith and murder jedi and innocents! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Sarge likes this.
  5. Darth Maul Apprentice

Jan 27, 2014
    I'm not saying it justifies killing people, just that the Jedi are not as righteous as they seem to think they are.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

7. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Sith.

Those guys are badasses. Sure they're murderers and whatnot, but hey, it's a fictional universe so I can be evil if I want to. And before anyone mentions whiny Anakin/Vader with all his NOOOOOOOOs and ineptitude, he was never a true Sith. As The Chosen One he was just a SINO so that he could kill Darth Sidious.

Darth Maul Apprentice likes this.
  8. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    In a 'real life' point of a view, I would never join the Sith.
    The Jedi are the side that want to keep peace, even if you have to get rid of something you like or enjoy, you will be the side that is doing right.
    I wouldn't be a Sith, with about 20 people who want to kill me because I'm an obstruction to them in one way or another. I would also have to be trained by an abusive and perhaps creepy master.
    I'll go with the Jedi.

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  9. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    That's a matter of perception. Neither the Jedi or Sith were actually right and the Saga even illustrates that. Yet, you'd be willing to kill those that don't agree with you? Doesn't sound that different. That's a huge part of the reason why I don't see too much difference between the Jedi and Sith. For the most part they do the same things.

10. The Star Wars Archivist

Oct 22, 2013
    Were they right? Maybe not.
    Were they evil? No.
    The 'evil' part is where I differ Sith from Jedi. And I do understand that not all Jedi are all that righteous, and not all Sith are inherently evil. But, here is something I posted about the Sith in another thread you may want to read:

-----------------------------
    A Sith may start with good intentions, but a lot of the story with the Sith is that they're lured by power (power over others, or simply the power to accomplish something they want to). There aren't many other incentives to become one. However, it's not to say the Sith are inherently evil. To combat temptation, one must have a strong will. It takes strength to resist. To become a Sith, is to succumb to temptation. Eventually, corruption, however good you were in the beginning, will take over. In my opinion, not many of the strongest force users have the strength to turn around.
    Concerning the Sith code:
    "Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me."
    When I look at the Sith code, I really can't imagine anything other than forwarding personal interests. Its purely for those seeking a way to get what they want. For them to grow. Only someone selfish would adopt this code. Which again, hints at a bad person. And if the core precepts of the Sith code are based around selfishness and forwarding one's goals... how can we at all suggest they are ever good people?
    -------------------------------
    As for your reference to the fighting, the Jedi were defending their Republic. If they had to fight the Sith to do that... well, they had too. ​
    When someone comes at you with an army, you don't sit in a defensive position for the duration of the war. They had to fight back and counterattack.​

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  11. TatooineDweller764

TatooineDweller764 Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2014
    I would be a Jedi because there can only ever be two Sith. At least the Jedi are a community.

12. Lord Revan.

Lord Revan. Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 29, 2013
    The Star Wars Archivist, I agree with you in some things. But what I think is that in real life, no one would strictly follow the jedi rules, and probably would fall to the dark side. I mean, how much of you guys would be able to completely suppress all your feelings. Or completely avoid relationships and even sex.
    Of course the jedi order is a better place to be, that is a fact. But their teachings are just impraticable in real life. While the sith are a lot more free to choose what they think or do.
    So, in my point of view it is better to be a sith that follows his own code of ethics than a jedi doing the same, because you would be expelled and hated by both jedi and sith.

@TatooineDweller764 read the OP, i said in the old republic era

13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    You guys can justify all you like. There is very little difference between the Jedi and the Sith. It's simply that most justify the Jedi.

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Neither of them, I lack the discipline needed

15. The Star Wars Archivist

Oct 22, 2013
    Old Republic Era?
    Well...
    The Sith did have restrictions. For example, Malgus writes in his journal (included in the Book of Sith) that he couldn't pursue his love for the Twi'lek Eleena Daru, due to the fact that all aliens were slaves under the Sith Empire (excluding the obvious Sith pureblood and Chiss, etc.)
    Also, when you say that the Sith are free to choose as they like... well, that's why their order collapsed, and the Rule of Two instated.
    As Darth Bane writes,

'The force is not fire. It cannot be passed from one user's lit torch to another's to another's, until an entire hemisphere is illuminated with a blaze of a million lights. This is what [Lord] Kaan foolishly believed, and all Sith Lords before him for the past thousand years. When all carry a flame, no matter how dim and guttering it may be, they soon conclude they are the brightest stars, around which all others must orbit. Infighting follows, and Jedi victory becomes inevitable. No, the force is venom. If it is poured into many cups, it loses its potency until it is so diluted it is merely an irritant. Yet pour those cups back into a single vessel and you will have the power to stop a Krayt dragon's heart.'

If they had more rules, they probably would have stood longer.
    The Jedi has always been a large order that has survived much better and longer than all Sith Empires established.
    Why? Because of their rules and restrictions, and basically better environment.
    It may feel impractical, but probably not after being born and raised into a certain mindset.

16. Lord Revan.

Oct 29, 2013
    I disagree.
    Couldn't Malgus just buy her freedom?
    First, this wasn't the reason that the sith collapsed. They did because of darth bane killing them. They could easily win the battle of Rusaan, but Bane wanted to change the way the order worked. Also, this text is was writen by Bane and it is simply his way of view. I could say that the rule of two made the sith weaker, because they were risking the future of all the order in two guys, which means that if both got killed, which almost happened a lot of times, the order would be no more. Which happened in EP.VI.
    Why you say that? Both sith and jedi won a lot of battles and i would say that they were equals in the old republic times. The destruction of the order was made by Bane, not he lack of rules.

Now, think about the jedi way of training. First, you would be taken as a young child from your family to begin training in the order, and would never see them anymore (or at least not as your family). In the temple you must follow all orders and are forbidden to feel any kind of emotion. You can't get angry, sad or fall in love. You can't have or do anything for yourself. This will remain even when you become a jedi master. You are like an ant in a hive working for the greater good of it.
    Think of them something like the monks in tibet from our world, but even with more hardcore dogmas. I don't think half of the people defending the jedi could do that.

EDIT: Oh, and jedis are completely celibate, which means you can't have relationships or sex. Anyone still want to be a jedi?

While the sith, i see them more like a job. First, you don't have to be a children to join them. Then you are trained in conjunction with other apprentices and have to make your way to the top (just like the real life, but in a harsher environment). Depending of your master, you could be screwed or not (plagueis was a nice one, for example). When you become a sith lord, you are free to do/feel anything you want (sort of).

17. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003

I'm not exactly sure that's true. You'd have to be a robot not to feel any emotion. Everyone feels sadness, fear and anger. Look at Obi-Wan and Yoda when they saw the slaughtered younglings. That was genuine sadness they were feeling. Plenty of other examples too. They're allowed to feel emotion, but they're not allowed to let it drive who they are or use it to fuel their power. And who says the Jedi can't get any lovin'? We just don't see it ever, because of the PG-ish nature of Star Wars. Haha Love wasn't completely forbidden. There were a few Jedi that were married and had families. It's only forbidden among Padawan's which makes sense, because when you're learning to harness the power of the Force, you shouldn't have emotions clouding your judgement until you're wise enough to learn to control your feelings. That's my viewpoint anyways.

18. scooper121s

scooper121s Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 4, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Strong in me, the Light side is.
    I have strict mental disciplines, a probably a minor case of OCD. I also like order and prefer nature to synthetic :)

Sarge likes this.
  19. Lord Revan.

Oct 29, 2013

Yes, that's your viewpoint, because in the movies we see that this isn't true. They are not allowed to feel anything, which doesn't mean they don't. But they try to avoid it at all cost. And no jedi can get a lover, at any age. The only married jedi was Anakin and it was a secret because the order forbid it.

20. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    I would start as a jedi and milk them for all the knowledge I could both from the "masters" and the archives. While this whole time I've been secretly training under a Sith Lord. After deceiving them for decades I would present my true self as the Sith Lord. Destroying every living cell in the temple without the Jedi even knowing.

21. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I am not sure that is true. If I remember correctly, the rule prohibiting jedi relationships did not exist throughout the entire history of the order.

22. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    Nope, I believe that relationship "rule" came along around the time of the Ruusan reformation.

23. Obi-yoda

Obi-yoda Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2014
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes". But honestly, Jedi :)

24. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Jedi all the way. Why? Because (among other reasons) I love Yoda, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon!

The hardest part for me would be the "no personal attachments" rule. But maybe through years of meditation I would come to embrace this and even enjoy that aspect of Jedi life.

25. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    The Sith (darkside) are more powerful, but, eventually their power corrupts them leading to their own demise.
    The Jedi are not as powerful, but, they have longevity because they are good, and in the end good always wins.

I would go with the Jedi, but, I would like a Sith to show me that neat lightning trick. There's a few people I would love to crispy critter!

In terms of the movies, I don't remember it ever said that the Jedi could not have emotions. Rather I remember it that they needed to control their emotions, and not let their emotions control them. That is why marriage was forbidden. Marriage is a form of attachment. It clouds your judgement, and may eventually lead you to make a decision that is based on greed (holding onto your attachment) rather than what the right decision is. As we saw with a certain Chosen One.

That is why the Jedi were taken at a young age, before they become attached to their Parents, before they learn what an attachment is.

What I always thought was a great discussion was the fact that Anakins turn to the darkside was based on emotions that we as humans encourage. Love, devotion, and protecting your loved ones. If I were to tell you that your -insert family member here- was going to be murdered by a bunch of street punks, would you rejoice for their becoming one with the force? No you would mourn them, feel pain for them, and we as Humans encourage that, however, the Jedi discourage it... always an interesting thought. Anakins fall from grace was the result of him being Human...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.