main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would you be disapointed if there is no Vader in the new series?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by sergejg, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthOlomew2005

DarthOlomew2005 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    Whether Darth Vader actually gets any screen time at all will not really matter to me. We KNOW Vader is doing his thing in service to Emperor and Empire. We won't need to See him doing it. Remember, we did not actually see all the horrible things he did in the Jedi Temple, and the security hologram didn't really show anymore than the fact it WAS Anakin doing the killing. We don't need to see him hunting down and destroying Jedi. The fact that Obi Wan told Luke that he did is enough for us.

I would imagine our minds will paint a far more vivid and horrifying picture of Vader's role in the Jedi Purge than could ever be put on screen.

Having said that, I do believe that Iconic Star Wars characters will be seen in the series. Only the series will not revolve around them.

Personally, I am hoping that we are introduced to the Series characters the way we were first introduced to the classic characters. When we first saw R2 and 3PO, we didn't have a clue that they would become such well-loved characters. When we first saw Vader, he was just the typical villain in black. We didn't have a clue that he would become such a dynamic character. At that point, we had no visual clue that there was a living and breathing (okay, maybe breathing) human being in the suit. He could just as well have been a robot.

The point is, we knew nothing of these characters prior to their introduction. We met them progressively and their stories unfolded, and we fell in love with all of them for different reasons. Even annpying Jar Jar Binks has become iconic... Okay, so what if his statue would be the one with the head broken of and smashed to rubble? At least he is remembered ;)

Anyway... We'll see Darth Vader. And Boba Fett. And Jabba the Hutt. And Mon Mothma. We may even get to see a younger Han Solo and Lando Calrissian. They won't be central to the story, but will be needed to provide tie-ins to the second half of the movie part of the Saga.

We won't see Luke, Owen or Beru. We may see Leia and Bail Organa. If Leia is used, then any girl who may pass for a younger Carrie Fisher will do. She would not be there for anything more than a visual tie to the movies. Jimmy Smits should reprise his role as Bail Organa. Alderaan should play a larger role in the story, especially as the rebellion begins to take shape. Alderaan may have had no weapons, but it was a rich world, and its ruler saw the attrocities of the Empire first-hand. He may loathe the thought of war, but he would loathe tyrany and oppression even more.

The Emperor will likely not be seen. When you read the Novelization of A New Hope, it is clear that after declaring himself Emperor, Palpatine shut himself away from the populace. This is supported in RotS when Palpatie tells Anakin that he wants him to be the Eyes, Ears and Voice of the Republic. He couldn't say "Empire" or "New Order" here. That would have revealed his corruption too soon. By making Anakin/Vader his "Voice", Palpatine in effect is saying that he would be his implementer of policy, and would be the one who would speak for him. the Emperor's public face.

If the series does in fact introduce us to new characters (heroes and villains) progressively, the way we were introduced to the classic characters, then our attention and interest will be on them. Whether or not we see Vader won't be so important.

All I am hoping is that the stories presented in the series will be very epic in nature, and will convey the same sense of depth that the original trilogy did. I do not include the prequels in this so much, because they were intended to build onto what we already had. We even knew how RotS was going to end. We KNEW Palpatine would be the Emperor. We KNEW Anakin would become Darth Vader. We KNEW the Jedi would be massacred. We just didn't know all the details on how these events would play out. But we knew all of the characters from the start.

I'm glad the series will not revolve around the iconic characters of the movies. It will give is all something new to experience. We won't know which of the new c

2. Drumstick

Drumstick Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2004
    He may be in it... but I hope very sparingly.

3. ___Obi-1___

___Obi-1___ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2004
    Hell yeah!

4. UltimateJustin

UltimateJustin Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2005
    When I heard the show was taking place between III and IV, even when I just heard there was going to be a show, I assumed at best it would occasionally have a jedi in it. There is no chance its going to be ABOUT Vader, I'd put my kittens life on that. He may show up once or twice but the show is going to be its own thing, its going to be Star Wars but its going to be awesome enough to be awesome without having Vader fight a new Jedi every episode and cut its head off to release the power of the quickening. Or whatever.

5. Mr-Mynock_

Mr-Mynock_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2005
    To me the best SW TV series that could be done would be like it has been mentioned in several threads about Vader's Jedi hunt narrated by an old Luke Skywalker (Mark H.) to the new jedi order.

Ummmm, I'm quite sure that is solely a tongue in cheek reference to 'Young Indiana Jones' which failed miserably.

As for Vader I'm sure he'll have a small roll in the pilot to get things rolling and hype up the series like ROTS, but that will be about it I expect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.