main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would you burn a SW book to survive?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Oct 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    If you were lost in the woods with naught but a match and a SW book, your fav SW book, and it was cold, and there were wolves, would you sacrifice the SW book as kindling for a fire?

2. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Let me see, lost in a place where I'd have plenty of kindling to begin with and a choice between using it and a book. And the fact that I don't believe in book burning. Nope, I'd use the kindling I'd have around me.

3. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    The guys in PSA would be having several bonfires and a beach party to boot.

4. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Actually, there's no deadwood here, and all the trees are huge, so big you can't even reach the lowest branches.

5. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Not in a situation like that. I?m surrounded by trees, I think I could find some dead leaves on the ground, and then some dead wood to fuel the Fire for a longer time.

Now if the book were the only thing I could use for kindling, then I would say yes. My life is more important to me than a book that I could just buy again on the Internet.

6. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Well then, some neat freak came along and cleaned the forest because that's what would have to happen for there to be no dead would and no scrub trees either. There's always sticks, fallen branches, fallen trees, leaves, and needles to use in the forest.

7. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    We're not discussing the ecology of the forest here, we're discussing whether you would burn a SW book

8. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I don't want to burn any book, but personally, I'd chuck it in and write fanfic in the snow.

9. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    If you're going to make it immpossible to get wood, then we are indeed discussing forest ecology. You said lost in the woods at the start of this thread, and then you made the trees to tall to reach their branches and the floor clean enough to nearly eat off. Moreover, you said to use the book as kindling for the fire, not as the fire itself. That right there suggests that either the trees are not so tall that you can't reach their branches or else theres dead wood and scrub trees on the floor.

Sorry, but it seems your trying to steer us in a given direction, which I'm not going to be steered in. I'm in the woods, I've got plenty of resources around me. No need to burn a book just to start a fire.

10. Penthesilea

Penthesilea Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 7, 2000
    Depends how long I was stuck there... Besides You can always burn animal droppings as well..

11. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Change of scenario:

You're lost in a desolate wasteland, with nary any bushes or shrubs. There is a random pile of deadwood, but there's no kindling, and no way your one match will light a branch that size. So do you burn the book or not?

12. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Knew that would get to you. No, I'd rather die than become a book burner. After all, look at some famous book burners. Nazis for one. Not exactly the kinda company you'd want to be with. Besides, unless you're going to make us naked, clothing burns.

13. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Ah, let's not forget the Republicans in the 1950's. Thank you Tail Gunner Joe, records, too.

No, I would not burn a book, any book, and yes, I'd die for my principals.

14. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

In retrospect, I'd wait until whomever killed those three kids with the movie camera looking for the witch, and take their stuff.

Or I'd wait until some hikers came along, brandish my unlit match at them and demand they take me with them because this nut Mastadge stranded me out in the woods with nothing but a match and a Star Wars book (In this case it would be Star Wars Chronicles, which is my favorite), to see if I would burn it to survive. They'd be so concerned for my well being that they give me warm clothes, hot chocolate and air fair back to Minneapolis.

Or I'd wait until some LARPers came along, bonk them on the head with Star Wars Chronicles, and because it is such a big and heavy book, it would knock them cold, then I'd take their matches.

Or, I'd pull out my lighter because I smoke and I'd use that to start a fire, then I'd burn the whole forest down and blame it on Mastadge for stranding me there. No jury in the world would convict me.

15. thx1138-the-jedi

thx1138-the-jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2001
    Knight 1192 is fully right, book burning is evil. knowlage is what we live for, not food or air.knowlage is what has kept the human race alive. I know it's just 1 book for my life but i would prefere to die with with an inecent mind than to burn in hell, HELL I TELLS YA!!! "the day has just begun and allready your mind has snapped like a brittle twig"- Peter puppy EWJ

16. Red_Plague

Red_Plague Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2001
    Would I burn my SW book? In a heart beat. If I live then I can always buy a new book. As far as comparing me to a Nazi for burning a book, I would think what truly made the Nazi's evil was the fact they wanted to destroy a whole race of people and take over the world. In this case if burning my book that I bought with my money is the only way I will live I say burn the sucker. Of course in this wasteland there is probably a pretty good brease, and it would blow my match out before the book started to burn anyway.

17. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    Trying to conquer the planet doesn't make someone evil. The genocidial approach to gays and Jews was what made the Nazis evil.
    Britain conquered the world, and are/were they evil? Noooooo...

NOTE: The British Empire no longer exist, but it did for ages.
    But for now, all bow down to your new Emporer, AdmiralZaarin. Oops...you did not read that... :D

18. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    How does burning a book to stay alive = Nazi?

wk

19. mutley

mutley Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 1998
    When nothing else was available---yes, although I'd start with the pages I did not like first(Have to have something to read while waiting for a rescue LOL).

I'm not a Nazi-I support the concept of life in any form is good. :)

20. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Actually book burning is bad when you grab ahold of every book known and burn it to purge it from existence.

21. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Britain conquered the world, and are/were they evil? Noooooo...

I think they were. So were the French, and especially the Spanish.

22. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I'd burn the book. I'd not be proving anything to anyone other than myself. I'm not one to sacrifice my own life for the sake of a 9.95 paperback.

23. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

That's ther magic words- $9.95 for a paperback, Yeeesh!

24. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    It depends on the Star Wars book. I would freely and gladly burn five Star Wars books. Burning them in a fire is about all those five particular books are good for anyway.

25. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    If you were talking about the Crystal Star, Planet of Twilight, and the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy, I'd agree.

Since I highly doubt those are the books you have in mind, I don't. [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.