main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would you buy the Holiday Special on DVD?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by FloridaFilmGuy, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    I would buy it and watch it, because... yes, it's Star Wars. :p

2. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I went to www.starwars.com and did a search on "Lumpy" It was no suprise when "Lumpy" was only mentioned but a page was not devoted to him.

More proof that George barely gives any credit to the ill-fated special.

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    If it was officially released, yes.

4. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    No I wouldn't by it, it probably would give me nightmares!

5. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I would never buy it. Even thinking about it makes me feel sick.

6. Phredreeke87

Phredreeke87 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Star Wars Holiday Special DVD, free Jar Jar Binks razorblades included.

LOL JK. You can't polish a turd. A restored Boba Fett cartoon would be a nice extra for a future dvd release though.

7. saberwielder76

saberwielder76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2001
    No. I don't think I'd buy it if it were on DVD. I have a VHS copy that I got for $5 and haven't been able to make it through the whole thing, it was that bad. That was 3 years ago.

8. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Yes, I love the HS! I realy dont think its that bad! I've worked out some of the line the wookies would be saying and I'm gonna subn title a downloaded one at some point.

Also GL commentry would be priceless!

9. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I already have it on VHS, and I use it to show what could happen when someone besides Lucas gets their hands on a SW production.

By the time Bea Arthur is singing the cantina patrons goodnight, they are begging me to put on TPM, "especially that stuff with Jar-Jar".

I would certainly buy this on DVD. It would be nice if they could include at the very least, the vintage Kenner commercials.

10. fcz1

fcz1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    H-E-double-hockey-sticks no! I spent a few bucks for a VHS copy of it and regret it. It is THAT bad...

Maybe...just maybe...if It had a feature where you just watch the commercials. They were the only good thing about it.

11. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    Oh, yes, I would bbuy it!.

12. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    Ellorbin is in a very small minority since the 99% of Star Wars fans, as much as they fight about everything else, agree that the Holiday Special is horrible.
    You can't save it.There is nothing, except perhaps for the Boba Fett Cartoon to save.
    It ceases to be fun even from a "so bad it's good" viewpoint after the first five minutes.
    Carrie Fisher's singing furnished some unintentional laughs in the last part (how did the daughter of two prominent and talented singers inherit no musical talent whatsoever?) but that is about it.
    This whole discussion is academic anyway, since
    Lucas (quite justifiably )hates the show, has repeatedly stated if he had his way he would destroy every copy, and there is no way in hell we will ever see this thing on a official,legal, DVD.
    Having said all that, if it came out I would buy it just so I could prove to those who have not seen it that, yes, it really is that bad.

13. JSnyder

JSnyder Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    >> You can't save it.There is nothing, except perhaps for the Boba Fett Cartoon to save.<<

I think this is not true.
    I like the Holiday special.

Looking to make it "serious", when it was never intended to be is a mistake. It could be made better, and less "dated" however.

Lose Jefferson Starship and Ms. Carroll entirely. Lumpy's holoband segment is not needed and could easily be given to gramps in the VR machine (replace with jedi rocks? maybe even the original Jabba's palace band scene?). Gramps has real style.

Some of the heavy make-up (yeah, I know they were trying to hide Mr. Hamill's auto accident) could be digitally toned down, sound remixed to take out the more cheesy sound effects (viewscreens/com-chatter during the imperial occupation and Lumpy's whine for example).

The cantina scene is fine, even Malla's cooking tutor is acceptable enough to remain as is.
    Creative editing and maybe a minor pick-up could easily make the Boba cartoon a gift from 3PO and R2 as a "creative entertainment" adventure of Chewie.
    The Harvey Korman human-android scene could go by the wayside.

The song at the end isn't necessary, and could end with everyone simply gathered together and lead into the closing dinner scene. The whole ANH reminder scenes are not needed and could be lost without problem.

This is vintage star wars, and salvageable for the masses. Creative editing would do wonders for this (phantom-editor where are you?). It could easily be taken down to a 1 hour presentation and still retain the charm and intention of implicit comedy and holiday cheer this gift was intended to be.

It's not like Lucas has an aversion to comedy (slap-stick or otherwise)...

14. STUBRIS

STUBRIS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Hey! I like the Jefferson Starship song...no, seriously, I do!! I'd love a copy of that track, it'd give me that SW feeling everytime I heard it..."C'mon, c'mon, vanish without a trace yeeaahhh!"

15. dudalb

Jun 14, 2001
    "..."C'mon, c'mon, vanish without a trace yeeaahhh!"
    That expresses exactly what Lucas feels about the Holiday Special.

16. dudalb

Jun 14, 2001
    I still find it incredible that anybody can defend this thing on anything other then a "Plan Nine From Outer Space/Ed Wood" so bad it's fun to sit through level.
    And a lot of us think it fails even on that level.
    Lucas hates it. That should tell you something right there. If he thinks it is beyond redemption and does not even attempt to defend it the way he has TPM and AOTC, that is a clue that this is trash.

17. moremachinethanman

moremachinethanman Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2005
    The Holiday Special is the most horrible thing I've ever seen. Aside from the Boba Fett cartoon, the show was actually painful to watch. It's like Vogon poetry... worse than that... it's like... having your intestines pulled out through your navel while someone drops a cinderblock on your toes over and over... it's bad.

I would be tempted to buy it, but sanity would prevail and I'd leave it in the trash compactor where I found it... and I even bought the Ewok Adventure movies... and actually watched them... sober! (Plan 9 as well for that matter)

There's a very good reason Lucas tried to squash that demented little bit of holiday programming.

18. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    I'd rent it.

19. dudalb

Jun 14, 2001
    "It's like Vogon poetry"
    Listening to Vogon poetry is a lot better then having to listen to Carrie Fisher sing "The Life Day Song".
    Come to think of it, it would be fun to have a joint "THe Universe is terrible" discusion between C-3PO and Marvin the Paranoid Android....

20. JediStu2

JediStu2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 1, 2003
    I bought a copy from a flea market years ago before Episode I came out and thought it would be a great find. It wasn't. It's something you search for just to have, but not to watch time and time again. It is truly awful. I'm surprised they got the three actors to do it it's just so cheesey. Maybe it's the reason why Harrison Ford has a certain distate for SW now, LOL.

My copy had old commercials for the movies when they were first coming out which were better to watch than the Holiday Special. But now that they were offered up on the DVD's I've never had a reason to watch the thing ever again.

21. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Sure I would. Then I would kidnap GL, tie him to a chair and make him watch it until he agrees to put Shaw back in as Anakin's ghost, revert the dialogue with the Emperor in ESB back to the original (no mention that Luke is Vader's son) and have Han get off the first and only shot in the scene with Greedo!

22. TheWookiee

TheWookiee Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 2005
    Oh, now, we all know Greedo shot first! [face_laugh]

23. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I'd buy it.

24. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Absolutely. I loved the Holiday Special as a kid, I won't hate on it now.

25. TheWookiee

TheWookiee Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 2005
    Well guys, not that it will help much, but today I emailed Peter Mayhew, asking him if he could possibly get in touch with Lucas to see about him releasing the holiday special on DVD. I'll post his reply here when I get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.