main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "Would You Cut That Out!" ~ Luke/Mara MMM 'conflict' Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Myriad_Daydreams, Jun 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    Title: Would You Cut That Out!
    Timeframe: Shortly post-?Union?
    Characters: Luke/Mara
    Genre: Romance, humor

Note: Written for the Monday Mush Mania VII ?inter-personal conflict? challenge :D Thanks to divapilot for the beta ;)

Mara smiled to herself as she watched her newly wedded husband sip a cup of caf at the counter. The sun had barely stretched over the horizon and it was still too early for words, but she was comfortable with the silence between them. After returning from their honeymoon mere days ago, she had come to realize that tranquil time together was just as valuable as fighting side by side in battle and engaged in passionate embraces. Luke?s hair was still messy from fingers run through them and a few abnormally long strands fell into his eyes as he glanced through the news. She fought back a smile, and then chided herself for being a sap.

A sip of her own caf further enhanced her positive feeling about the morning, though there was little a cup of stimulating drink [i]couldn?t[/i] do to improve her mood. The mug was warm against her chilly hands. [i]Maybe I?ll get Luke to warm me up more later[/i], she grinned wickedly, taking another slow sip.

Luke began to tap absentmindedly on the countertop as he read, fingernails making a repetitive clicking sound. Unaware of his fidgeting, Luke continued to tap at a more rapid pace, scrolling through the news and humming a made-up tune good-naturedly.

A rather intriguing account caught Mara?s eye as she glanced at the flimsy in front of her, a mission summary for the two of them. ?[i]The Eriadu system [b]tap[/b] is well known for its abundant[b] tap[/b] supply of environmental resources and [b]tap[/b] varied species, the effects of these resources tap impact trade routes as far out[b] tap[/b] as the Corellian sector[b] tap[/b]?[/i] ? Mara stopped reading and closed her eyes. There it was again. [i]Tap tap. [/i]

For the most part, she ignored it. She pulled up the piece of flimsi closer to her face pointedly. Her eyes narrowed, trying to concentrate on the words in front of her, but found all she could focus on was the tapping?

She glanced up, wondering if Luke realized just how irritating that noise was. Apparently not. Noticing her less than friendly gaze, he looked up and flashed her an innocent farmboy smile. Mara forced a smile on her face in reply and looked back at the document in front of her.

[i]Tap, tap, tap?[/i]

The finger tapping, the humming, it was all too much. ?Would you cut that out!? she barked out before she could stop herself.

Luke stopped, his face falling in bewildered surprise. ?What??

?Could you stop that? [i]tapping.[/i]?

He glanced down at his hands, as if not believing he could have done such a thing. ?Sure Mara.? He replaced his fingers unmoving on the table, lips sealed shut. A bit startled by her outburst, Mara turned back to the flimsy in front of her. Well it had been annoying?Luke would have done the same if she were the one tapping incessantly at this hour in the morning, right?

~*~

Noontime arrived, and Luke found himself staring blankly at a list of reports on the screen in front of him. Through the window to his left he could hear the busy bustle of rushing speeders and the whistle of the wind against the buildings. The air was crisp and the sun bright, it seemed to be calling his name, begging Luke Skywalker to forget his work and take a leisurely walk.

[i]I have to focus[/i], he thought, attempting to focus his tired eyes on the endless statistics.

The comlink chirped and Mara answered it within the second. Her casual tone of voice told Luke that the call was not for him, and he turned back to his papers once again.

Minutes later, he still could not remember a single word he read.

Mara?s melodious voice seemed to fill the apartment as she chatted with the other person. At first it seemed as though she was merely breaking the silence, hence why it seemed so loud? but

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Sweet and fun!!! Of course!!!! [face_love] :)

Huggles!!!!!

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Perfect mush!

Dearest Mara,

I?m sorry for upsetting you last night, and all that I did yesterday. I know that after a lifetime of solitude and trusting only yourself that living with someone else and sharing everything with someone else is hard. I know it?s an adjustment for me, too.

Don?t be mad, and save some caf for me. If you can compromise, so can I. We?ll work out this marriage thing out together, one annoyance at a time.

Luke.

A shamefully sentimental smile spread across Mara?s features. A twinge of guilt passed through her as she remembered the petty quarrels of yesterday. He was right, marriage was definitely going to be trying. But she was up for the challenge.

She started to place the flimsy back on the table when she realized what the oddly shaped missing piece was?a heart. Below his name was a simple message.

PS. I cut it out.

A laugh fell from her lips as she realized the double meaning. Curse farmboy and his sentimentality, she thought wryly, blinking away uncharacteristic tears. She placed the card down on the counter and reached up to the cabinet to bring down the second mug. Somehow, her morning felt just a little bit brighter already.

=D= [face_love] [face_laugh]

4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Awww.... YAY! That was so sweet and wonderful Myriad!! I loved it!! [face_love]

Though I did have a moment in the beginning I was really worried. I though Mara was going to renew her vow to kill him à la The Cell Block Tango. "If you tap your fingers one more time..."

[face_laugh]

Amazing job girl!! =D=@};-

[:D]

5. Jedimaster_JainaSolo

Jedimaster_JainaSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2003
    [face_love] That was wonderful! i absolutely loved it. awesome job! =D=

[face_cowboy]Dana[face_cowboy]

6. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    This is so sweet! =D=
    Exactly how I would imagine L/M to be.

7. Jedi_Emeritus

Jedi_Emeritus Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 22, 2005
    Nice piece of writing! I can imagine Mara, having lived on her own for so long, would have a hard time adjusting to life with another person. I like the way you handled it.

8. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Dearest Mara,

I?m sorry for upsetting you last night, and all that I did yesterday. I know that after a lifetime of solitude and trusting only yourself that living with someone else and sharing everything with someone else is hard. I know it?s an adjustment for me, too.

Don?t be mad, and save some caf for me. If you can compromise, so can I. We?ll work out this marriage thing out together, one annoyance at a time.

Luke.

A shamefully sentimental smile spread across Mara?s features. A twinge of guilt passed through her as she remembered the petty quarrels of yesterday. He was right, marriage was definitely going to be trying. But she was up for the challenge.

She started to place the flimsy back on the table when she realized what the oddly shaped missing piece was?a heart. Below his name was a simple message.

PS. I cut it out.

[face_laugh] Awwwwwww, Luke!!! [face_love] Oh Myriad this was such a wonderful story and that was an AWESOME way to end it!=D= So cute!!!:*[face_love] Loved the whole thing! Fabulous response to the challenge- I loved it!! SQUGGLES!![:D]
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

EDIT: nit picky me. [face_blush] I put too many commas in a sentence. [face_laugh]

9. JadeEverlasting

JadeEverlasting Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2007
    This was such a wonderful story and so perfectly L/M. The end totally brought a huge smile to my face :)

10. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Lovely story -- getting used to another person in "your" space is a hard thing. Those little things you do without even realizing it can make someone else batty.

I like the little details you used to show, not tell, how they feel. That's good writing, my friend.
    :D

And this part...

Luke.

...reminds me of another note that went between the two of them. [face_worried]

Nice job, Myriad!=D==D=

11. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    *dies happy*

Augh myriad!!!! That was so amazingly and wonderfully sweet it gave me the SQUGGLES!!!!!!!! Definitely realistic too, stellar job!

Love you so much! Awesome response to the challenge and a wonderful viggie!!!!

Huggles,
    [face_good_luck] Irish

12. path-seeker

path-seeker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2008
    This is wonderful - perfect Monday mush! Those little annoyances would be hard to deal with (I can't stand tapping either). :D

He had been sitting in the exact same spot, staring at the exact same documents, for hours now. In the time that Luke had seemingly accomplished nothing, Mara had scanned through five mission assessments, scheduled three meetings for tomorrow and another four for the rest of the week, made a second pot of caf, flipped through all the holo channels, and even finished a holonovel she?d been reading for months.

Luke had not moved. His head was propped up by the palm of his left hand, and his right hand doodled idly on the flimsy in front of him.

I love this contrast between them! [face_laugh]

=D=

13. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Lovely! [face_love] I can just see Mara yelling at Luke for tapping his fingers and I can sympathize! That is the most annoying thing ever! :p

14. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    I feel for Mara here...tapping is totally annoying. :p And I can imagine how hard it would be to adjust to living so closely with someone.

PS. I cut it out.

A laugh fell from her lips as she realized the double meaning. Curse farmboy and his sentimentality, she thought wryly, blinking away uncharacteristic tears.

[face_love] Awwwww.

Loved this! =D=

15. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    That was great interaction not just between the greatest Star Wars couple (yes, I said it-and I am male!), but also between just about every married couple from Coruscant to Timbuktu.

The focus on the small things that can annoy at first is secondary to the compromise to tolerate those same small things.

Yeah, I thought at first Mara was going to ignore the fight as well as Luke. That would have spelled doom for the couple to not talk about it. Though I wish you could have included something involving their Force bond. They could use it to their advantage in times like this. Then again, maybe they ignored it for fear of knowing what the other thinks.

Ok, that's enough Dark stuff.

Wonderful positive ending.

[face_love]

16. Dana-Skywalker

Dana-Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2007
    [face_love] Aw, love it, Myriad!! I love how you captured the conflicts that often arise between couples (Yes, even L/M!). Ver realistic, yet sweet too. How can they not be? Heh heh. Wonderful job, girl! [:D]

~Dana

17. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I liked all of it, right down to the little things that set her off, and Luke's way of resolving it. "I cut it out." *giggle*

Well done. :)

18. Klimt_Of_Tornesdal

Klimt_Of_Tornesdal Jedi Master star 3

Dec 8, 1999
    Uh-oh. Guess I better start learning to break the habit now while I still have time. :p

Great stuff, Myriad. Loved it.

19. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    the part where Luke cut out the shape of a heart was adorable!

20. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    I love quirk! (but not as much as angst...in that we are quite alone!) Great challenge response. I had a big grin on my face through out the entire piece. :D

Bravo! =D=

21. jaded_jewel

jaded_jewel Guest

AWWW So sweet. Perfect mix of mush, hilarity, and realism. I loved the cut out heart, sounded exactly like something Luke would do. Very clever. Loved it. [face_love] =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.