main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would You Die For Your Country?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa, Dec 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Livi-Wan

Livi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I owuld not, and will never, die for my country. Why? Because I belive it is better to find alternatives to killing, and to go out and kill and die in a situation that could have been resolved peacefully would be a betrayal of my beliefs. I'd rather think a way out of conflict than simply strap on a gun and blow up anyone I (or my country) didn't agree with. But, I'm not criticising your right to do that. I just don't like it, that's all.

2. Special_Fred

Special_Fred Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    ...I belive it is better to find alternatives to killing...

If alternatives can be found, then yes. But some situations require a violent response.

...and to go out and kill and die in a situation that could have been resolved peacefully would be a betrayal of my beliefs.

What if there was no plausible way to resolve it peacefully? Then would you fight?

3. Livi-Wan

Sep 29, 2002
    No. I would not fight, because there is always a peaceful solution.

4. DeathStar1977

DeathStar1977 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2003
    I have always loved this quote from JFK, which IMO applies to what we are talking about...

I have here some $8000 in these letters sent to my office from all over the country - quarters, dimes, dollar bills from housewives, plumbers, car salesmen, teachers, invalids ... These are the people who cannot afford to send money but do, these are the ones who drive the cabs, who nurse in the hospitals, who see their kids go to Vietnam. Why? Because they care, because they want to know the truth -because they want their country back, because it belongs to us the people as long as the people got the guts to fight for what they believe in!

5. Not George Lucas

Not George Lucas Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 20, 1998
    I will not die for my country.
    I will not kill for my country.
    I would much rather live for my country.

6. Livi-Wan

Sep 29, 2002
    My faveorite quote on this comes from a poem, Dulce et decorum est:

My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
    To children ardent for some desperate glory,
    The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
    Pro patria mori.

7. Crix-Madine

Crix-Madine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    Awesome quote DS. JFK is one of my favorite presidents :)

8. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    No I would not die for my country. At least not right now as there is no reason to die for it.

9. DeathStar1977

Jan 31, 2003
    CM - Thanks.

Just to be clear...the quote was from JFK the movie.

Regardless, I agree, JFK is one of my favorite Presidents too.

10. Special_Fred

Special_Fred Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I would not fight, because there is always a peaceful solution.

NO APPEASEMENT FOR PEACE.

11. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    This isn't my country. It's all been taken over by economic migrants. :(

12. scum&villainy

scum&villainy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 8, 1999
    Zethlin_Maximus, that's bollocks and you know it

I suggest you stop reading the Sun and Daily Mail - everything they print is not necessarily true. And I also think you need to lighten up a bit - your bio makes a very bleak read

13. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Somebody has to die for their country, if there is war, it could be you.

But I'm female, so I'm out of the water. ;)

14. Crix-Madine

Crix-Madine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    Now that raises an interesting question. Suppose Bush gets reelected and they end up bringing back the draft. How would it be run and would it include women, college kids, etc. How would it differ from Vietnam?

15. Jediflyer

Jediflyer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 5, 2001
    I think it has a chance of including woman, as there are much more woman in the military now than any time previously.

That being said, I doubt the draft will be reinstated. If we get hit that badly by either terrorists or another country, we would have people signing up by themselves.

16. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I would not die for my country, nor do I live for my country. I live for myself and for my wife. I go to work 40 hours a week to earn money for myself, my wife, and any children we might have. I do not give any of my money away. I am not a saint, nor a hero, nor anything extraordinary. I'm simply a man who minds his own business and tries to better his and his family's lot in life.

17. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    Zethlin_Maximus, that's bollocks and you know it

I suggest you stop reading the Sun and Daily Mail - everything they print is not necessarily true. And I also think you need to lighten up a bit - your bio makes a very bleak read

No, I don't read the paper. My views are both from my past experiences (33 years worth), what I see walking into town every day, along with what I see on the BBC, ITV and Ch. 4 news. Tony Blair and the rest of the middle-classes are fast making England into a doormat for the entire Third World to wipe their feet on. We the English are fast becoming the minority in our very own country, and England will soon become "a foriegn land". Live with it, you'll feel better about it when some East European, Asian or African is taking your job, your house and your welfare.

And besides, what do you know about my circumstances? That post was probably written by some mollycoddled middle-class buffoon who doesn't know what the facts of life are, or what it's like at the bottom.

But like I said before, I wouldn't raise a finger for a country who treats its own poor with such contempt.

And what I put in my bio is my very own experiences. Brother, that's how far our so-called "freedom of speech" has been destroyed in this dictatorial country, people telling me what I can and can't say in my own bio! No wonder the BBC bosses were sacked for telling the truth, 'cause people in this country don't like the truth anymore, do they? Just another reason why I won't fight for this country. It's full of two faced, elitist, back biting, money grubbing back stabbers. No wonder the Third Worlders like the place so much.

18. DeathStar1977

Jan 31, 2003
    CM -

Suppose Bush gets reelected and they end up bringing back the draft. How would it be run and would it include women, college kids, etc. How would it differ from Vietnam?

I agree with JF in that I don't see the draft being reinstated.

I bet no one would be automatically exempt (Marriage, college, etc.), but many would find ways to avoid it.

I say that if they do bring back the draft, the first to go should be the leaders and pundits(the Bush administration, Congress, Media elite, etc.) who never served in combat and/or their children. After them should be the people whose sole contribution to the defense of our country is to slap an American flag bumper sticker on their SUV.

19. Livi-Wan

Sep 29, 2002
    Zethlin_Maximus, that was quite..uh, well, racist for you to say something like that about people from the Third World. I mean, they're not taking 'all our jobs', after all, aren't we the ones taking doctors from India etc?

Anyway, that's not the point, the point is I would never, ever die for my country. I find all the glorification of war and fighting very small-minded. The reality of war is PEOPLE DIE. Not 'Those stupid *insert stereotypical comment here*'. People. People who have families, who are probably not that different from us. I just couldn't face doing something like that to a fellow human being.

20. Jediflyer

Dec 5, 2001
    I just couldn't face doing something like that to a fellow human being.

But could you stand by and let somebody else do it to someone you know?

21. Livi-Wan

Sep 29, 2002
    There are ways to stop people without killing them, you know. It's called negotiation. I wouldn't let it get that far.

22. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    There are ways to stop people without killing them, you know. It's called negotiation. I wouldn't let it get that far.

Negotiation only works when both sides are willing to negotiate. If one side is not willing to negotiate (or decides to renege on their commitments), then negotiation does nothing.

You could also say that you always have an option oto fighting, but that would mean that you always surrender.

Kimball Kinnison

23. Jediflyer

Dec 5, 2001
    Then you can be our ambassador to Osama bin Laden.

I'm not saying that people should be supportive of any war, or that the only way your a patriot is if you fight in the military. What I am saying is that it is extremely stupid to say you will never fight. People seem to forget that it only takes one side to wage a war.

24. Livi-Wan

Sep 29, 2002
    Where's the shame in surrendering if you belive you're doing the right thing?

EDIT: I'll talk to Osama if you find him first, JediFlyer.

25. Jediflyer

Dec 5, 2001
    It means other people get killed and lose their liberties on your account.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.